Thread: Crazy driver

Angry Crazy driver

Ok I was leaving to get in town at today to talk to a customer. So I was leaving this guy zooms pass my house. About a mile down the road he slams on his break and waits for about 2 minutes (almost causing the first car accident). Then about 5 to 7 minutes pass and we are on the main high way now. About 1 mile or so on the highway and he slams on his breaks almost causing a huge pile up of cars (he was going 70 then left huge marks on the road).

I hate stupid drivers. Also yes I am filing a complaint tomorrow morning since I can not get back into town till tomorrow (to save on gas). Though I did call the police already to notify of his actions. From what it look like he was doing was trying to cause accidents to claim insurance. What a *****, and I rarely cuss.

Last edited by Torith; 05-12-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Well, if it is an emergency brake and you knock into him, I believe he is in the wrong....

He might as well ram his car into a tree then...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

If you hit someone from the back, it is 100% your fault, even if they stop short for no reason.

The reason is "you should maintain your following distance"

Originally posted by ilyash
    If you hit someone from the back, it is 100% your fault, even if they stop short for no reason.

The reason is "you should maintain your following distance"
    To play devils advocate, it's not 100% all the time. If you are a stop light and the vechicle behind you hits you from the back and you hit the car in front of you, the vehicle that hit you is at fault (and not you).

No, you would still be partially at fault [maybe not 100%]
    You should have stopped further away from him.

It's the officers call, but 90% of the time you won't be responsible. Infact, the law's are changing a lot with the increase in insurance fraud with people stopping on purpose.

Appropriate following distance depends on your speed and road conditions, but at the stop light your speed is zero. You are not expected to know in advance the speed and momentum of the car that is going to unexpectedly hit you from behind and calculate your expected stopping distance after impact.

You also have a standing obligation to try to avoid a collision if reasonably possible. That includes not hitting someone who did the wrong thing, if you have a reasonable opportunity to recognize the danger and make a controlled stop, speed reduction, or avoidance. That legal theory would also prevent you from making a plausible claim of innocence if you make an unnecessary, malicious sudden stop in front of another vehicle that didn't have enough following distance behind you.