Problems with PhpBB and Search engines?

Anyone know why Search engines doesnt crawl trough web sites wich rund PhpBB, it only grabs the front page ??

Can anything be fixed so the whole web site gets crawled?
    My network of web sites:
    xBox-Talk.com - Balando.com - NewRoomTalk.com
    HumorHour.com - Ordigno.com - Playword.info

Was phpbb the one that the developers put in code to add as many keywords etc and other tricks to try to rank higher in search engines and search engines fought back, such as google?

Just taking a guess. Suppose I didn't really answer the question, heh.
    Senior Software Developer
    BurstNET® - The Speed the Internet Travels™
    BurstNET® - an INC500™ Company
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net

use mod rewrite to change those long query to some short html link. Bots do not like link with bunch of queries and SID.

Probably because the Santy worm used automated Google searches to find phpBB boards to infect; several months ago Google disabled the ability to conduct those sorts of searches in an attempt to halt the spread of the worm.
    You cooin' with my bird?

how do I use "mod rewrite"?

Is there a file that I can install that can change that automaticly?
    My network of web sites:

google doesnt crawl it because of the sessions url it generates, thats why there is a hack for it on the non official phpbb website
    phpbbhacks.com i guess will have it
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Lebanon's answer is the main problem with search engines getting around phpBB forums. Here is the simple hack.

In /includes/sessions.php

Find

Code:
    $SID = 'sid=' . $session_id;
    Replace with

Code:
    if ( $userdata['session_user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ){
    $SID = 'sid=' . $session_id;
    } else {
    $SID = '';
    }

thanks for the answers recipher and Lebanon..

I have now done the changes you said.. what actually happens? what have I done? How can you check that the changes have been done on the web site? I have changed it in the Php file and uploaded it, but I don't seem to se anything different.... Can you? www.xbox-talk.com
    My network of web sites:

Oh sorry, probably should have explained. Basically, if you are not logged in it won't generated a session id (sid) on the end of the urls, which is why a lot of forums don't get indexed. Since a bot will never be logged into your forum, you don't need it. If you hover over your forum links, notice that the s=03298203942039482 is not attached to the end of the url anymore. Now, login and you should see it again.

If you want, you can start to experiment with things like mod rewrite now. All I did for my forums was use mod rewrite to make each forum a static php page. I haven't bothered with doing it for topics, I don't think it's worth it with the new version coming out soon.

For this, I used the code below in an .htaccess file.

Code:
    rewriteEngine on
    rewriteBase /
    rewriteRule ^viewforum([_0-9a-z-]+)\.php$ /viewforum.php?f=$1
    I would test this out on a server that's not live if you have never messed around with mod rewrite before. Then, you just begin to look for places where viewforum.php?f=1 would be written and change it to display as viewforum1.php instead. For example, you would look through the index.php phpbb file for statements that will pass the links to each forum and rearrange it so it will use the new static page.

For more info http://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb+seo

First two links are some good tutorials.
    Last edited by recipher; 05-13-2005 at 05:38 PM.

hello,
    seems like recipher has given you a detailed answer and absolutly working, i just visited ur forum and no trailing sessions for visitors thus google as a visitor will be able to index you forum.
    Ofcourse you have to understand that doesnt mean you will get ranked or u will find your pages ranked suddenly !
    Now resubmit your pages to major search engines.
    For google you can check if it indexed ur site using :
    site:xbox-talk.com
    and you will see how many pages it returns ( should return a lot when it re-indexes it )
    Meanwhile - resubmit and wait ( try phpbb seo as adviced ) and work on with it !
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Just a reminder, you don't have to resubmit your pages to Google if it already indexed though. All you have to do is get links to the main page, or sub pages, so I would highly recommend doing that instead of trying to submit each page to search engines. I would look through the Google search I posted above for other advanced modifications like page title etc. It takes a long time to start doing well in search engines, especially Google, so don't expect it to be immediate.
    Last edited by recipher; 05-14-2005 at 01:48 PM.