Fake or Malicious sign-ups

I've seen an increase in false signups (many from Eastern Europe) recently. But the most troubling are the ones that seem to be coming from other webhosts. In the last couple of months I've had quite a few fake signups from IPs held by other hosting companies (I just got one from a hoster that has been blasted here in the last few days). Anyone else seeing this?
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Fake or Malicious sign-ups

Originally posted by Edgarv
    I've seen an increase in false signups (many from Eastern Europe) recently. But the most troubling are the ones that seem to be coming from other webhosts. In the last couple of months I've had quite a few fake signups from IPs held by other hosting companies (I just got one from a hoster that has been blasted here in the last few days). Anyone else seeing this?
    Hi,
    When you say false signups, do you mean they order an account from you with a fraud credit card or something like that? Do you use auto account setup with your billing package? What measures are you taking to catch the fraud signups?

Thanks,
      0 Not allowed!

I'm using a variety of safety measures so we aren't having problems on the money side here. I'm asking if others have seen a similar increase in such signups.
      0 Not allowed!

No more than the usual one or two a week. Very easy to deal with just have to keep your eyes open and not verify orders when you can't stay awake for more than 5 minutes. As for other hosts signing up that's their right and the more the merrier.

Edit: I misread some of the post if they are using another host as a proxy I do what other people in this thread mentioned and send it on over to that host's abuse department. That doesn't happen often with me though.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 05-12-2005 at 04:25 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

We're a datacenter, not a webhost, but fraudulent orders became a huge problem for us for a time.

To help cut these to a minimum, try the following

Require voice cofirmation for all new customers
    Check their billing information against the telephone number for location.
    http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/ Will tell you where a particular calling code goes.
    http://www.melissadata.com/keywordsearch/areacode.htm Has an area code lookup for US numbers, as well as some other tools.
    Whois the IP to find out the general location the order originated from, you can use this tool if you like.
    http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox

If they don't add up, the order is questionable.

As far as it coming from other web hosts, notify the hosts, and their providers of the abuse. It's likely a user proxying themselves out or something along those lines. This user probably used a bad card to get an account with those providers.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks, Take. That's what I was asking about. It just seems that we've seem a real explosion recently, and I'm at a loss as to why.
      0 Not allowed!

we have recently started using Fraud Guardian and Varilogix via modernbill so far we are very impressed. we have not been using it long enough to see if it will make a diffrance on the fraud signups but every little helps.
    HostedUK - All servers owned by us and based in the UK.
    Hosting since June 2002
      0 Not allowed!

Once you let one or two fraud orders slip by, you'll get on some sort of list that fraudsters pass around to each other. Perhaps that's what happened to you? We've been using most of the methods that Take-It-Ezzi uses...as well as not accepting orders from hotmail, yahoo, etc. and it helps tremendously.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Our processer runs a check on each card to verfiy the amounts, and numbers,address ,ect. but never process anything untill we have by hand verfied it.

I have found that the Ip is usally spoofed and that they are just checking the card .
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah we always verify our order by hand not just for security reasons but also to make sure the customer has not made any mistakes or errors in there set up.
      0 Not allowed!

Just wanted to add this as it is a funny story,
    we call all orders that send up a Flag,and the person on the other end usally does not know that their card is being used.(We verfiy the mailing address and last 4 digits of card.)
    We, just a a nice service ,tell them that more than likely their card info has been stolen and that they should contact their credit card co.

I told one guy this and he stated that

"me and my wife both have docrate degrees and beside that we watch the news everyday and we know when we are being scammed"

He was sure he was smarter than that...
      0 Not allowed!