Our Client List (Thoughts?)

I know most of you have seen this. The "These are our client list" on websites. Especially software sites. Now I give the benefit of thoughts to the company but as most of you I do my research befor buying anything.

In the past two weeks I've been looking around for support helpdesk and I've gone to eSupport, Cerberus and SupportTrio and I've seen them post their client list. Now I'm interested in this because I want to know who is actually using this software and see it in action.

On the cerberus site I saw listings for IBM, Cisco to name a few. On the SupportTrio site I saw Dell, IBM to name a few. Now I ask myself, are these REALLY BIG companies using these software? If so where? I don't see it on their site.

From a personal experience I used to use the Cisco knowledge base extensively several years back and I have to tell you it wasn't no Cerberus software at that time and I don't see it now. Are these just tactics to make people think these companies are actually using these software or they are in some small capacity?

Please note, I'm not calling anyone a lier I'm just trying to find out how they can list such clients on their site. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thoughts
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC
    http://www.vervesolutions.com
    New Name Same Quality Service since 2000!!
    Now offering SiteBuilder :: Build your site in 5 easy steps

You can ask them if there is an instance of their product running on those clients' sites that might be available to and/or viewable by the public.

I find the best client references (at least most valuable to me) are those that not only say "X company uses our product" but also have a case study on HOW they used the product to provide a solution, solve a problem, increase revenue, streamline a process, etc. This means: a) the client agreed to being named in a case study; b) really used or uses the product (not just bought it)
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

That's an excellent point. I too look for those. To me that's the information I need in order to make a decision. The whole benefit factor!!
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC

Case studies on real world uses are the best. One advantage is that these can be turned into press releases also.

So do you guys think these companies really have these big companies using them?
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC

i highly doubt those big companies use their support software. a lot of them either use software shop that only target these fortune500 companies or do it inhouse.

btw, big companies already outsource their software need to India companies like Whipro or Infosys. i really doubt they will use helpdesk software build for webhosting.

if you dig up something interest please share with us. i'll like to know if any of those companies acutally are their clients.

I agree and I'm just curious if they actually then in what extent do they use them.

This isn't to let anyone look bad. It's to educate myself. It would be nice if these big companies are actually using the software though.
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC

I can't imagine any company opening themselves up for a lawsuit of that magnitude, by lying about Dell, Cisco, etc. using their software.

Several possibilities come to mind. Perhaps they're not using the software for their main HelpDesk, but are using it elsewhere? Maybe they are using it now, but weren't "several years ago" when you used their services?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

You're right Tina, that's the thought that came in mind also. I'm still currious why a company like Cisco will use such services. They too have inhouse developers so why would they use something like this? This is why a case study on the website would be helpful.

Such big companies don't even consider using such small based companies. As for Cisco maybe they are using the software now but again I don't know how because it's not in the public eye and the way they do support I can't see them using this software. it doesn't fit their support model.

As for lying, I agree why would they? But then again I've seen it all. There's the hope factor!!
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC

Maybe they use the software in VERY small capacity - e.g. to power the helpdesk of a very small regional office?

Very valid question. If any host put a logo of IBM and say "IBM is hosted by Us" how that will look like? Not a very good practice in my book. May be IBM's Nepal sales agent is hosted with them!

Very unethical to say IBM is hosted with them I guess same goes to these support soft people.

Well, it isn't difficult for a LARGE company like IBM to have multiple uses for almost every software imaginable.

I sell a simple CMS script, and I've had orders from people from both Dell and IBM in the last two weeks.

So if I put "used by IBM and DELL" on my sales website it would be true.

From the hostnames they are licensed to use, they are obviously for internal websites.

I don't think there's really any way you can verify someone's claim that "XYZ company" uses their product, since privacy rules would forbid revealing sales information unless the buying company specifically grants you rights to talk about them, etc..

Perhaps for some websites it's just a marketing gimmick. Barely different then how every host offers "true 24x7 support!", when in fact they are sleeping for 6 hours a day.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Mrzippy you're right. There is a huge difference between enterprise system and a script to do XY&Z. This is the point I'm trying to make. It's all about implied message. If I see a company say these are our clients who are using our software, I assume (without details) that they are using the software as it's advertised.

So in this case I would assume that Cisco or Dell is using the software just like I would use it. Big companies using scripts is nothing strange, it happens everyday. I've worked with many large organizations that buy small scripts or software to us in-house. Usually it's developers who purchase such software so they don't have to re-write one. However, they don't go allowing these small companies to put a log or a link on their website advertising that they use such software.

This is all about contracting and partnerships, if I (the BIG Company) allow you to use my business name for promotional purposes then there would most likely be something in for me. As an example, you give me X % discount and you can use our name.

So you see my point is exactly the implication of such company using big companies names on their website without providing details as to how the client is using their software. In my previous example with Cisco I highly doubt they are using "The" software for their enterprise support system. Some developer or department within Cisco might be using it in-house but not the "COMPANY" itself.

Hope this helps.
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC

Two other things.

1) Some companies (that sell things) list any company that buys a copy of their product a client/customer - whether the product is in actual use, or was purchased for evaluation purposes. In truth they may be a customer, but not necessarily a client. This covers the situation cahostnet mentioned above.

2) While many companies just list everyone who has ever done business with them, others only list those clients who have given permission for their name to appear in a published list of clients.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

On the cerberus site I saw listings for IBM, Cisco to name a few. On the SupportTrio site I saw Dell, IBM to name a few. Now I ask myself, are these REALLY BIG companies using these software? If so where? I don't see it on their site.
    Such big companies don't even consider using such small based companies. As for Cisco maybe they are using the software now but again I don't know how because it's not in the public eye and the way they do support I can't see them using this software. it doesn't fit their support model.
    Hi there, I'd like to chime in for our team.

We specifically ask *every single client* that we've posted on our clients page about their experience using Cerberus Helpdesk. We ask them if we can quote them, or put up their logo on our site in support of the software. Some of them (a few you've mentioned) have sponsored some larger features or reports in our product that everyone benefits from.

Very large companies, Cisco included, often have fragmented systems to handle support/sales/rebates for different products, in different departments, in different countries.

As a smaller company you may have an idea in your head about a global helpdesk system for a Fortune 500 company that everybody uses -- we've found that's often not the case. We'll usually start in a single department, or a single call center, and grow from there. There is often a multitude of similar applications running in a company that size. The real goal is to outperform the others and build up a trusted long-term partnership.

Just because a client is listed on our site, it doesn't mean we're their exclusive provider of e-mail management or support software. It simply means they've found a good use for it, that they DO use it, and they've generously allowed us to use them as an example so other companies like them know Cerberus is a trusted, capable system that's truly used in the real business world.

While many companies just list everyone who has ever done business with them, others only list those clients who have given permission for their name to appear in a published list of clients.
    Yeah, we're in the second boat there. We've had several companies tell us they purchased just to evaluate. Those people aren't on our client list.

On the cerberus site I saw listings for IBM, Cisco to name a few.
    IBM isn't a stranger to us, but I don't believe they are on our clients page.

The other fun thing to mention -- if these are the clients who said we -could- display their logo, imagine some of the ones we'd love to share and can't.

Hope that helps!

[edit: I need a dedicated proofreader. ;-)]

Thanks,
    Last edited by jstanden; 05-13-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    Jeff Standen, Software Architect, Cerb
    Cerb - web-based teamwork and workflow automation - https://cerb.ai/

[edit: I need a dedicated proofreader. ;-)]
    You and me both
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

This is a good thread. I didn't mean to mention any names on this thread but I realized that too late. Didn't mean to point anyone out.

I've worked with several large organization in my career and Jeff I agree with you assessment. However, I also know some companies that just list names to make themselves look good in hopes that the actual company never sees their name on their site!!

Personally I think the whole "I'm a BIG company" is over rated. If only I could share some stories with you about some of the larger companies that I've ever done work for you would be amazed. You would think their software or enterprise system is well thought of but in some cases they are not.

I do have to say that Cisco on the other hand have a pretty good helpdesk or support system. I would be interested to see how they are using Cerberus. Jeff a suggestion would be for you guys to create a case study for these larger clients; I think your customers would appreciate that a whole lot better.
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC