Need my own server / HDD.

Hi

What do I have to do get my own server / space (HDD) at say, rackspace or someother ?

I want to a server just for myself so that I can install absolutely anything I want and have 100% control of it - on a particular OS - say Linux. I will install PHP, MySQL, Cpanel etc etc.

Thanks

try the planet all you have to do is ring them or email them. Good prices to.

Re: Need my own server / HDD.

Originally posted by anjanesh
    What do I have to do get my own server / space (HDD) at say, rackspace or someother ?
    Just sign up with them. Yes, it's that easy.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

How does this work really. No idea in this field. How much does it cost per year or whatever ?

Do I have to buy a server or just rent it ?

Do I need to get a HDD alone on a server (like multiple HDD on a server) or an entire server with HDD + RAM + etc ?

so rackspace and theplanet are these kind of Cos right ? What are the other good ones ?
    Thanks

Most of the times you rent it. If you want to buy your own server, you co-locate it.

When you rent a server, everything that is required for it to run is included.

Most places charge you by the month. Have a look at the dedicated servers forum for some providers.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]

I checked up theplanet at http://www.theplanet.com/control/ent/e300r_details.html and found that the RAM is 2GB and having 3.06 GHz.
    How come servers have so low capacity ?

My HP PC is 3GHz with max capacity of 4GB RAM (though only 256MB is there).
    I thought servers would be having far more capacity.

Is taking the one in the above link and a dedicated server the same ?
    If not whats the difference b/w dedicated server and the one I checked at ThePlanet ?

Thanks

You can add more RAM to the server if you require. When you rent the server, it comes preloaded with 2gb ram and is often plenty for most applications.

You can email their sales rep for a better configured server if you so require.

It all depends on what you use the server for ? Not all the time you need a high end server to handle the general web hosting needs. Static web pages and downloads would probably not need a lot of resources and probably a simple Celeron may be an overkill for the job. However, if your sites involves a lot of database access and scripts processing then you probably need something faster.

The offering at The Planet are standard configuration packages would should meet most needs but however if you require more, you can just configure the server to your needs.

Home and Office PCs may be more taxing because of the GUI interface and if you are an avid gamer, you probably use a lot more resources. Standard web servers are just plain file servers as in when a visitor request for a webpage, it just load it up and send it over to them not much processing involved and almost no graphics interface to render.

But the ones here : http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/...vel/index.html look amazing.
    Whats if one buys it ? Where can he place it ? Rent a space at ThePlanet and keep it there ?

And which datacenter has any one of these ? http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/...omparison.html
    1TB RAM ????

Yes, you can buy a machine and host it in The Planet, this is what you call Colocation. They do have different pricing and terms for it. Basically you be responsible for any hardware replacement.

if you want a smaller server try a google for maxiumhosting - they are reliable. I have a small personal one - 10GB transfer/month, 7gb space, works out to $60/year - cpanel and msn support etc

Originally posted by UploadHut
    if you want a smaller server try a google for maxiumhosting - they are reliable. I have a small personal one - 10GB transfer/month, 7gb space, works out to $60/year - cpanel and msn support etc
    He was looking for a dedicated server, your plan sounds more like a VPS or something along those lines.

oops sorry - try hivelocity in that case - I have a high speed uncapped server - I use about 400-500GB/day and have perfect uptime

I guess this clears up all my doubts.
    This wasnt for me - I cannot afford all this - this is for a friend of mine whos starting a business.
    Thanks. I'll check out various dedicated schemes.

Anjanesh,

A VPS is certainly the best option if you cannot afford to jump straight to a dedicated.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.