Moving to a dedicated server...looking for advice

I used to have all my sites on a dedicated server, but it was unmanaged and I didn't know enough to keep it safe and it was hacked.

I split my sites up and got a reseller account with Hostgator, who I have been very happy with, and all was going well until I received notice that one of the sites was taking up to many resources and would have to go. They were nice enough to put that site up on a dedicated server for a week until I decided what to do.

Their managed dedicated servers start at $174/month for 1024mb RAM, 80gb drive, & 1200gb bandwidth on a 2.4 Ghz Super Celeron.

Does that sound like a fairly normal price for a managed dedicated server? Can anyone suggest anything better? I have searched but am not really sure what I am looking for, and HostGator has been good enough for me to stay with as long as the price isn't too high.

Thanks for any input.

see in liquidweb... P4 3.0 Ghz HT, with 1Gb RAM, Dual 120Gb SATA, WHM/cPanel, 800Gb bandwidth and managed. US$ 199,00.

great service, uptime etc. Im in liquidweb.

$174 for those specs is too expensive. For that price, you should be getting at least a P4. I recommend allmanaged.com for managed services, you'll be paying less and getting better specs and more bandwidth!

It is a P4. And there's more to getting a dedicated server than just "specs."

AFAIK, Super Celeron is NOT a P4. As to the price - I currently have a P4-2.8, 1024RAM, 2x80Gb, 1000G for $125 (with cPanel). Managed. So $174 isn't even funny, IMHO.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Originally posted by Yaroslav
    AFAIK, Super Celeron is NOT a P4. As to the price - I currently have a P4-2.8, 1024RAM, 2x80Gb, 1000G for $125 (with cPanel). Managed. So $174 isn't even funny, IMHO.
    Who is your server with?

Support/response is important; it looks like Hostgaot is expensive but I know they're support is very reliable; they are very easy to get ahold of...

backing liquidweb here - very good servers, 99.9% uptime

Originally posted by emills01
    Who is your server with?

Support/response is important; it looks like Hostgaot is expensive but I know they're support is very reliable; they are very easy to get ahold of...
    I personally am with Resellerworkz; they resell LayeredTech's servers and provide managed service on top of them.

However, I believe there is a plenty of other decent offers - take a look at Dedicated and Colo Hosting Offers.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I second both resellerworkz and allmanaged, that price is a bit too much for those specs.