Bandwidth Required

Say I wanted to host my website from my bedroom, Verizon offers Frame Relay upto 1.5mp/s. Say I have a vB forum w/ ~70-100 active users during the day. Would the 1.5mp/s handle that and still run a decent speed for the users?

If not what would I need? Who could I get it from? How much does it usually cost?

thanks,
    --chad

I wouldn't recommend hosting any critical websites off of a T1 inside your house. If it's just a site to mess around with and isn't important to you, then it may be alright..

Otherwise, I suggest real hosting in a secure datacenter

Josh
    Voxxit - Accessible Web Design & Secure, Affordable Web Hosting
    Now offering 501(c)3 non-profit discounts!
    Ruby on Rails included with every hosting account! - Save up to 80% bandwidth on all plans with mod_deflate!
    Visit our services page to see how Voxxit can help you today!

Originally posted by VoxxitDesigns
    Otherwise, I suggest real hosting in a secure datacenter
    That is what I have now, a dedicated server at a datacenter. I do not make any $$$ off the site I am running and currently it is outgrowing the server it is on. I have a pretty cheap hosting plan and the next best server is 50% more money. As long as I can get away w/ the bandwidth requirements I could care less about the rest of the 'security' b/c I've been managing the server for 3 years anyway.

--chad

Well, a T1 line costs about $499-$699+ depending on where you live. You can get a nice server in a datacenter for that much. If the site isn't a business site in an office, I don't recommend it.

Josh
    Voxxit - Accessible Web Design & Secure, Affordable Web Hosting
    Now offering 501(c)3 non-profit discounts!
    Ruby on Rails included with every hosting account! - Save up to 80% bandwidth on all plans with mod_deflate!
    Visit our services page to see how Voxxit can help you today!

Haha i have comcast and i get 4.5mbps/586kbps or something like that, and i only pay $50 and i get cable

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    Haha i have comcast and i get 4.5mbps/586kbps or something like that, and i only pay $50 and i get cable
    Yea, but 586Kbps is not enough to run any real site off of, cable is notoriously not reliable for high uptime, and most cable providers don't allow customers to host services.
    No monkey business.

I say this all too often, but have someone optimize your server, you'll be able to make the most of what you've already got.
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

Originally posted by DoCk
    I say this all too often, but have someone optimize your server, you'll be able to make the most of what you've already got.
    I've been told by the guys at vBulletin that my server just isn't up to the task. It is a 2.0GHz celeron w/ 512mb ram. Are you offering help?

--chad

Contact me using the information in my profile
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

Bandwidth wise I wouldn't be concerned unless you're serving some large media of some sort. 70-100 users on a forum similar to this that would be plenty of bandwidth.

You need to consider other variables such as your power and network reliability above your frame relay. Honestly though, traditional circuits are going out the window for these type of uses because it's not cost effective. You can find a more reliable solution, with a better network, and better service for less.
    moreweb
    moreweb gives you more for your money

70-100 users off a 2.0 celeron with 512mb ram shouldn't be a problem at all, provided you tweak apache/mysql/php properly.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Originally posted by Neosurge
    70-100 users off a 2.0 celeron with 512mb ram shouldn't be a problem at all, provided you tweak apache/mysql/php properly.
    can you elaborate on 'properly'?

--chad