Am I pusing my server to the limit or is it something else?

Just curious what other folks think.

I have a p4 2.8 1gb ram with a 200gb hard drive on the unmetered 100mbit line through a reseller of Alphared.

http://noc.whee.org/rpgfilms.net_2.html

That is my mrtg for this box.

The 70mbit spike was me doing FTP backup the other day everything else is http traffic.

http://www.rpgfilms.net/100MB.file

That is a test file for downloads.

Every day the usage is about the same as you can see from the MRTG however at that current usage I am not going to come close to the same transfer I did last month. Last month and the month before I did about 14TB of transfer.

The server runs just one site. It is a php nuke site with little or no activity on the message boards or activity changing the pages around. Pretty much just a download portal for files.

I have about 50gb of files on the hard drive plus the OS and the core site.

The load at high usage times is about .88 to 1.0 after it was tweaked for better perforamce.

The problem is the download speeds.

People are reporting tome that in the morning and all through the afternoon the speeds are 1-2mbit and I have no idea why when I have 80mbit free is the speed so slow.

When I am able to test the speeds its usually after peak hours and I can pull 4-6mbit but the usage is not as high as the 20mbit.

Basically what I am saying is that it takes a large volume of people to get above this 20mbit barrier.(yesterday for example I had 150 people on the site 28 of them were downloading when I pulled the apache status and the server pushed 38mbit.

Any suggestions or ideas what the problem is or might be?

Any other users of AlphaRed/Orange Fiber not able to burst/sustain high usage? Like a bad switch port or over saturated line?

By the way I am not trying to start anything about AlphaRed/Orange Fiber I just want the site to work at this point.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Hadriel; 05-11-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Just grabbed your test file and was only pulling about 4MB/s to my server at OF. From another test file on the OF network I was able to max out my 100mbit NIC. You might want to have them take a look at your NIC or the switch you're on.

Hmm ok.

They already replaced the NIC once on this box.

Thanks!

Also I do think their outgoing links are pretty saturated hopefully they'll add some more capacity soon.

I just got ~1.5Mb/sec from a wget, but by the time I'd opened up 5 wgets simultaneously each download was slowing to 700K/sec, so perhaps their network/switch is saturated.

I've pulled 68mbit/sec to/from this box / the Alphared DC, so it ain't a problem with me

I would look into tuning your TCP stack and possibly adding more RAM to cope with more concurrent downloads, although the slow speed hints that it's a congestion problem.

graphs have already been posted showing that their average outgoing is 85% capacity, and are frequently at about 98%
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Originally posted by jNive
    graphs have already been posted showing that their average outgoing is 85% capacity, and are frequently at about 98%
    I know they're reasonably congested, I use one of their servers however doing backups to a Dallas server yields speeds of 20mbit+ so I believe it's not necesarily the outbound connections...although it's also time-dependant.

They also moved our server to a new switch after poor performance, so perhaps they need to look at their network organisation, too.

I got 5mbit/s from my box at allmanaged.com

edited
    Last edited by LinuxMaster; 05-12-2005 at 01:01 AM.

Uhhh.... senor intelligent, he was posting his speed that he got. It wasn't an advertisement. You'll also notice that others did roughly the same thing, so the thread starter knew the speeds other's were getting.

Hadriel,

OF has 7 x GE to Cogent, all of which are at 99.5%+ utilization during peak. There is nothing wrong with your server.