Using the server BW at home ??

Hi

Is there any way to use a part of the bandwith at home, using the server as the main Internet gateway ?

Thanks

birkoss

Bonjour Birkoss,

Even if you could, you will need to get to the server using your local Internet Provider so all the traffic will pass thru both your dedicated server and your local internet provider. It depends of what you want to do. If it's to browse the Internet, one thing you can do is use a Windows Server and log into Remote Desktop and lauch Internet Explorer from the remote desktop ... but the user interface will be kind of slow. Explain what you want to do exactly, maybe we can understand and find other alternatives.

À bientôt,
    Last edited by atchoooo; 05-11-2005 at 11:00 AM.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Hi

btw ... I use a iweb server

I wanted to stop using my poor ISP (videotron) and using directly my server BW.

I want to do all the thing I do now with that ISP.

But I understand that I can't get to my server without a link :|

videotron's been pretty good for me (im french from montreal aswell ) whats your problem with them ?

....The content still has to be downloaded to you...and Remote Desktop would most likely be kinda slow....so I don't think you'd gain much.

The problem might be the monthly traffic limit.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Originally posted by atchoooo
    The problem might be the monthly traffic limit.
    Oooh good thinking, I'm a spoilt British cable user with no caps

as far as i know, videotron is 6.5mbit unmetered...and i think a 500gb server would be perfect to proxy all your data (you dont have much choice, have to use videotron to reach your server unless you can lay your own fiber lol) unless the guy downloads more than 250gig a month, it should do the trick

videotron is always down here...4-5 times a day, and it can go over 1 hour each time...

They came here to check what's the problem 3 times, but they only change the modem each time...

They are coming back this afternoon, but for 40$ CAD/m for that ISP...its quite expensive for the quality...