Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Teen driving, sending message on phone, kills child

Alright, it's bad enough that people can't chew gum and drive at the same time, worse when they try to talk on a cellphone and drive.

This....well, I'm at a loss for words...

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...0104/505100391

COVINGTON, Ky. -- The vehicle of a teenager driving while text-messaging and without headlights on hit and killed a 2½-year-old boy crossing a street, police said.
    Jeremy Deming, who told police he was driving about 10 mph over the posted 25-mph speed limit, sent a text message "immediately prior to his hitting the young child," Gilreath's affidavit said.

"I guess it's one of those you-need-to-hang-up-and-drive cases," said Ken Easterling, chief prosecutor in the Kenton County Attorney's office.
    Ya think??
    Neighbors said they hope the accident will prompt the city to install speed humps or some other device to slow traffic on the street.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

this may seem a bit cold, but what the hell was a 2.5 year old kid doing crossing the street at 10pm, without an adult around.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

Yes it is horrible what happpened. I also think that one of the parents should be help responsible. When you are crossing the road with a kid THAT young you MUST be holding his/her hand.

Originally posted by Teh_Winnar
    this may seem a bit cold, but what the hell was a 2.5 year old kid doing crossing the street at 10pm, without an adult around.
    I was thinking the same thing . As well why was he text messaging while driving?

Originally posted by Torith
    I was thinking the same thing . As well why was he text messaging while driving?
    I think that was kind of what you were expected to think -- and was my first thought -- upon seeing this story.

I really don't think the parents of the toddler can be held accountable for anything; things happen, kids get out; perhaps they weren't the most responsible parents, but then again most people aren't. The real culprit here is the teenager who sent a text message on his cell phone while driving; this practice is even more distracting and risky than is talking on the cell phone, as at least when you are talking you are looking at the road and what's going on ahead.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I think that was kind of what you were expected to think -- and was my first thought -- upon seeing this story.

I really don't think the parents of the toddler can be held accountable for anything; things happen, kids get out; perhaps they weren't the most responsible parents, but then again most people aren't. The real culprit here is the teenager who sent a text message on his cell phone while driving; this practice is even more distracting and risky than is talking on the cell phone, as at least when you are talking you are looking at the road and what's going on ahead.
    It would seem the parents would be more responsible for watching over their child. Though I do agree that the teen who was driving and text messaging should get in big trouble for his actions. As well it is people like him that want me to make sure a law is passed to make it illegal to drive and talk on a phone.

The victim was returning with his family from a picnic, and earlier had gone with his uncle, Cedric Streeter, to a youth baseball game. The children were crossing the street when the uncle's girlfriend saw the car and yelled to them, said Jennings, 24, of Mount Auburn.
    The other children, 11 and 7, "had time enough when she yelled to get on the curb, before Nhiem did," said Nhiem's mother, Ranesha Jennings. "He's just a little bitty guy. He's not going to know if somebody's yelling, to respond."

That made me sad I would definately issue the death penalty with no regret to the teen if I were on the jury of that trial. Seems like a pretty clear case to me and he doesn't deserve as second chance as that little kid obviously can't get one.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixelized
    That made me sad I would definately issue the death penalty with no regret to the teen if I were on the jury of that trial. Seems like a pretty clear case to me and he doesn't deserve as second chance as that little kid obviously can't get one.

Why death penalty? Yes he did something beyond stupid, but the adults as well did something beyond stupid. The adults should be as well charged for the childs death.

Seems like the NY State cell phone law should go into effect everywhere.

Why death penalty? Yes he did something beyond stupid, but the adults as well did something beyond stupid. The adults should be as well charged for the childs death.
    The adults did what stupid thing in this case? Crossing the street with children in tow?
    .: Signature not required nor available at present time :.

From what I gathered the adults did nothing beyond stupid they were just walking home from a picnic or whatever yelled to the children to get out of the way now it's possible that they didn't look both ways to make sure the street was clear, but the article doesn't say so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure you've been wth your girlfriend and stayed back a little to cuddle or whatever while walking so I considered it perfectly normal they weren't super close to the kids at the time. They were probably walking a few feet behind them to have some space. You don't know that and to come the conclusion that they did something beyond stupid is specious reasoning.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

This is really sad.

Don't necessarily assume the parents of the child were negligent although that is certainly possible. If you've ever had a toddler, they can get away from you quickly. My 2 1/2 year old "got away" from me a bit in the parking lot just last night and ran right behind a car that was right next to us about to back up. It scared the living daylights out of me.

Driving 35, without headlights, in a residential area while text messaging?! Grrrrr!
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

you do not just let the children walk ahead of you crossing the street. Any parent that does that is just plain crazy, and should not be a parent. Why on earth allow a small child walk not right near you while crossing a street that have cars on them?

From what I gathered the adults did nothing beyond stupid they were just walking home from a picnic or whatever yelled to the children to get out of the way now it's possible that they didn't look both ways to make sure the street was clear, but the article doesn't say so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure you've been wth your girlfriend and stayed back a little to cuddle or whatever while walking so I considered it perfectly normal they weren't super close to the kids at the time. They were probably walking a few feet behind them to have some space. You don't know that and to come the conclusion that they did something beyond stupid is specious reasoning.

It seems to me that you do not have much experience handling toddlers. Try that sometimes in a public setting with more than two of them and I am sure you will change your thinking real quick.

This is a real tragedy that needs not happen. But trying to blame the parents (or supervising adults) on the same level as the driver is way out of line.

It seems to me that you do not have much experience handling toddlers. Try that sometimes in a public setting with more than two of them and I am sure you will change your thinking real quick.
    There is no need for excuses, when you cross the street with a 2 and a half year old CHILD you hold there hand, you do not let them cross themselves, end of story.

Originally posted by TekPrime

This is a real tragedy that needs not happen. But trying to blame the parents (or supervising adults) on the same level as the driver is way out of line.
    I do have experience handling kids. Ages from 3 years old to 12 years old. That still does not give any excuses for parents or adults to allow kids to go infront of them in the street. Parents/adults need to be with kids while crossing the street. If the parents did not teach the kids to not cross the street while they are right next to them then it is their fault.

Torith,

Since you are a parent I pray that you never have anything happen to your kids but it strikes me as terribly cold of you to be blaming the parents if you are one yourself.

Have you read the article? Apparently he was walking with his 7 and 11 year old siblings and was not crossing the street alone. I don't know why they didn't pull him to safety but that is beside the point. Details of how it all went down are sketchy at best. I know of plenty of 11 year olds I would let my toddler cross the street with. I don't know enough about the circumstances to start blaming the mom for negligence especially in the middle of such a sad thing like this.

Man, the kid was drug 68 feet. If you have a 3 year old doesn't that just break your heart? I'm sorry but in a tragedy like this nobody is served by yelling at the mom for letting her 11 year old kid walk her toddler across the street. You never know what can happen with your own kids no matter how earnest you are to love and protect them.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I am not a parent . I just watch over my brothers kids when they come over from OR, USA. What happen here was a horrible accident, and I am guessing both the parents and the teen wish it could be taken back. Though it can not be taken back, and both the parents/adults and the teen both made mistakes. As well letting a 11 year old walking a child across the street? I am not sure how the streets are where they live, but here I would never allow a 11 year old walk by him self. The traffic is just to horrible. Though traffic where they live might not be so bad so it all depends I guess where you live.

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Torith,

Since you are a parent I pray that you never have anything happen to your kids but it strikes me as terribly cold of you to be blaming the parents if you are one yourself.

Have you read the article? Apparently he was walking with his 7 and 11 year old siblings and was not crossing the street alone. I don't know why they didn't pull him to safety but that is beside the point. Details of how it all went down are sketchy at best. I know of plenty of 11 year olds I would let my toddler cross the street with. I don't know enough about the circumstances to start blaming the mom for negligence especially in the middle of such a sad thing like this.

Man, the kid was drug 68 feet. If you have a 3 year old doesn't that just break your heart? I'm sorry but in a tragedy like this nobody is served by yelling at the mom for letting her 11 year old kid walk her toddler across the street. You never know what can happen with your own kids no matter how earnest you are to love and protect them.

Originally posted by adam
    There is no need for excuses, when you cross the street with a 2 and a half year old CHILD you hold there hand, you do not let them cross themselves, end of story.
    That is very good advice and much recommended. However, within the context of this particular story, I found it is reprehensible to attempt to blame the parents with the same brush as the driver.

On a related note, yes, it is easy to handle one child, be that crossing the street or just playing in the front yard. Try that with more than two, especially toddlers who tend to do what they want at unexpected moments. It only takes a moment for tragedy to strike as it is clearly shown in this case.

I agree...........THIS WHOLE THING COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF THE IDIOT WASNT TAKING HIS MIND OFF OF DRIVING!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

That made me sad I would definitely issue the death penalty with no regret to the teen if I were on the jury of that trial. Seems like a pretty clear case to me and he doesn't deserve as second chance as that little kid obviously can't get one.
    Are you crazy ? Kill a teen because he killed a child? Kill one person because they killed another person (once)? For gods sake, you must be...

It's like that sailor trial in England, where they sentenced two sailors to death for one voluntary homicide (changed later).

Take this kid's right to drive away...I don't care if you are a 2, 3 11, or 30 years old, If you were walking across that street and some stupid kid was TEXT MESSAGING you would be dead. This just is not even believable...
    I have a 2 and 5 year old and sure they know not to cross the street...but come on in a residental area you should be watching were you are driving.

It look like it is time for some lawmakers to start doing their job...

Originally posted by Lev
    Are you crazy ? Kill a teen because he killed a child? Kill one person because they killed another person (once)? For gods sake, you must be...

It's like that sailor trial in England, where they sentenced two sailors to death for one voluntary homicide (changed later).
    When you kill a child recklessly you take away an entire life. When an adult is killed they had the opportunity to experience at least some of their life. The comparison you are making doesn't encompass that suddle difference as to why I would advocate the death penalty in this scenario. If an adult kills another adult it's a lot different by my logic.

Not that it matters he'll probably die in prison anyway.

*The system works.

it is horrible that a young child died, but wanting the teenage driver to face the death penatly is just crazy!

did he intend to kill this child, i certainly think not!

My uncle lost his license, and his livelyhood (he was a driver) to something similiar to this and he even tried killing himself through the guilt.

it was at stansted airport in the car park, he had picked his wife up and they were leaving. A 3 year old child ran out in front of him (in between two parked cars), he went to slam his foot on the brake but in his panic he also clipped the accelerator, and unfortunetly the poor child went underneath the car (he was not speeding)

The coroner led a verdict of accidental death, but the police still prosecuted because my uncle had self incriminated himself by admitting he clipped the accelerator meaning that it affected his stopping distance.

Witnesses had stated in the hearing that there was no way that he could of stopped in time, but the court still decided to take his license away.
    He is a lorry driver and has been for the last 17 years, so that completely takes away his livelyhood.
    He blames himself and this incident has ruined his immediate families life.
    The parents were loading their car up when this happened.

Who should be help accountable????
    Last edited by essexguy; 05-12-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast