Thread: Time to go VPS?

Time to go VPS?

Greetings!
    I'm shopping around for a new webhost. I have relatively high demands in terms of cpu and memory resources. Currently with shared hosting and while it has proved sufficient the past 2 years, my host has decided they won't keep me on shared hosting anymore. I don't pull that much bandwidth (around 25-30 gb/month) and would require less than 5gb space. But as I said, my site has high demands when it comes to processing speed and memory availability. To give you an idea of the level of resources is necessary, here's some background info:
    Currently:
    Static site + Discussion forum (xmb)
    3500 members, usually between 10 and 20 simultanious users, peek around 40 users. So that leaves the majority of the strain on the server side and mostly mysql.

Planned and in testing:
    Content management system (mambo)
    Will put even more strain on server resources.

I'm sure you have a lot of experience with what resources would be required. Have in mind that my current situation is in a shared environment with 100s of hosting accounts, and has worked fine for two years. Haven't had a severe increase in traffic.

I guess my question is if there is a real need to take the step towards VPS or even dedicated. I would appreciate your view of my situation and perhaps a suitable hosting service.

rocky22,

It sounds like a VPS may be the next step up.
    The benefit of a VPS now rather than later on - say if you were to just choose an alternate provider is: Your site is going to continue growing - you know that.

Do you really want to move once again?
    The answer is obviously no - so VPS it is.. the problem with a VPS is management experience.

What you'll want to look for (unless you have a *nix admin somewhere hidden in your pockets) is a managed VPS - with obviously about 50-75GB(allowing growth) of bandwidth and at least 7-10 gigs of space (allowing growth).

You'll want to setup your own nameservers from the getgo - which will allow you to migrate to a dedicated server easier down the road.

So what you'll want to look for:

Managed VPS (or an awesome support team who is willing to hold your hand)
    50-75GB of traffic allowance - with upgrades or additional allowance later on
    5-7Gigs+ of space or more (growth!)

Now when I say you're not a *nix admin - I'm making an assumption so correct me if I'm wrong.

A few of the leading VPS providers:

servint.com
    powervps.com
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks for a very informative reply!

Well, I'm not a that experienced with administering a *nix box. I actually work with server management, but in a windows environment. I guess I could go windows based hosting, but it's generally more expensive and not as well suited for my need. I can probably get by administering a vps myself, at least after some trial and error

Most webhosts offer bandwidth and space beyond my needs, but as I pointed out: my primary concern is hardware resources. I see some hosts put 6 or less clients on a vps box, while some as many as 20. They usually guarantee 256 mb ram with ~1gb burst. I wanted my current host to send me some stats from cpu and memory usage, but I haven't heard from them yet. I feel that 256mb should be sufficient, but I'm not sure how much strain is put on the CPU from all the mysql processes. Thoughts?

rocky22,

With a nicely configured setup - 10-40 concurrent users shouldn't do too much damage.

If you plan on going beyond the 256 often it might be best to begin considering a small p4, but a VPS should be sufficient at this point.

Try it out - make sure the provider has a money back guarantee and you have nothing to lose.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

First of all, thank you very much for your answers! I have spent virtually all my time here at wht the past couple of days, trying to figure out the best solution my situation.

There are a few things I still would like you to comment though...

There is a wide selection og VPS providers, but a few stick out as superior to most others.

ServInt has the best support (from what I have read), but have considerably slower hardware based on the unixbench tests performed by the mebers here. Still, I have found close to NO negative feedback on servint's services. Liquidweb is more or less that same, but scores lower on support and higher on resource availability. They are also slightly more expensive. Then we have Power VPS. Not very different from the two others, probably somwehere in the middle.

Hard to seperate these three when making a desicion based on all aspects of a VPS service. They all have several VPS plans, and I would assume that upgrading to a higher level plan could be done at any point without any downtime what so ever?

Then there's HostingPlex. Looks very tempting, but I found no feedback on their services. Why? Young company? No customers?
    Also, hostingplex doesn't offer the same extent of support as the others mentioned, being an unmanaged VPS. But what does that really mean? What things would you assume I'd need assistance with? I'm sure hostingplex still takes care of hardware related issues without me ever having to notify them. I'm sure they are responsible for monitoring their servers. Same goes for connectivity. So what can you expect when a company advertise as "fully managed"?

At this point I really have a hard time choosing. I don't even now whether to go with a VPS or a managed dedicated...

I guess what I'm fishing for is that some one should just tell me what to choose...

Well, go nuts. All comments are greatly appreciated!

Oh, and my budget is max $100/month.

For $100/mo you can probably get a good dedicated, but that won't be managed.

Don't be fooled into thinking you CAN get a fully managed dedicated server for $100/mo, it really wont be what you're expecting.

Well, I'm almost convinced on choosing VPS. Now some more questions for you gurus out there:

1. I see different companies offer different operating systems. What should one look at when making a choice? Or perhaps this is not important? I have heard very good things about CentOS, but haven't found many providers. Unsuited for VPS?

2. I have many users in Europe (including myself...) and would like to ensure premium response times. Should I even put this into consideration?

3. Still looking for some comments on Servints drastically lower benchmarks compared to the others mentioned.

well, I found one provider using Cent OS Not that I question your judgement or motives, but would be nice to hear from some neutral members as well.

rocky22,

CentOS > *
    You should be able to get a VPS running CentOS from any provider.
    David

rocky22,

You won't find a managed dedicated with decent hardware for 100, find a decent vps provider who is willing to either walk you through things or handle it on your behalf.

If you put that 70 a month saved in the bank every month - you'll be able to put it towards any management fees later on or security audits, etc.
    David

For 100usd or less you should fine a very good vps.
    Try http://www.hostingplex.com/vps.html looks good, but personally i haven't tried hp vps yet.

CellShade
    Last edited by cellshade; 05-16-2005 at 06:00 PM.

if you want fast responce to support questions & managed upgrades PowerVPS has worked well for me!

You can sing up for a plan & upgrade to another at any time, if you need more space or bandwidth, I believe.

Check out their site for more info:
    powervps.com

I haven't personally tried powervps, but i have read it's good, so i guess you aren't making a mistake going either way.

CellShade.

Note he needs one for 600 bandwidth, and arround the price to be 30 to 40.
    Only the higher plan in that site gives that but its 90 usd.

CellShade.

cellshade,

Odd - original poster was looking for around 35gigs of transfer if I'm not mistaken.

There should be no problem finding a reliable one with those specs. at all.
    David

Lol i posted in wrong poll about the 600gb transfer.Well for 25gb transfer you will find a lot of vps providers.
    Btw again david you guys haven't replied to my last pm.

Cellshade,

I don't have any PM's at the moment - resend away.
    If you send it to any of the other reps. I won't have a copy of it.
    David

send it to you, and i don't copy my sent messeges or memorize them.

"There are no new private messages since your last visit."
    David

Oh well, guess i better handle my site my own instead of asking for help since, sometimes appears like you or kevin don't recieve pm's or email.

CellShade.

I am now with PowerVPS and am in need of something more stable, as I have some issues with hardware here and am looking to move within the next few days...

I am wondering if I should go with HostingPlex?

I have read some good things about them, but am still not sure as nobody has been direct about the quality of service thier..

Please if anyone has any info they can add, let me know..

Thankyou very much for any assistance available.

Originally posted by whynotme
    I am now with PowerVPS and am in need of something more stable, as I have some issues with hardware here and am looking to move within the next few days...

I am wondering if I should go with HostingPlex?

I have read some good things about them, but am still not sure as nobody has been direct about the quality of service thier..

Please if anyone has any info they can add, let me know..

Thankyou very much for any assistance available.
    We haven't had any hardware problems, so if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me or opening a ticket or sending me the ticket # if you have one open already, we can easily get this resolved.

I cannot find out your user info/ticket history without knowing who you are, but we are standing by ready and willing to assist.