View Poll Results: What OS are you going to be moving to?

33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Staying with RHL9

4 12.12%
  • Changing to Fedora Core

3 9.09%
  • Changing to Red Hat Entreprise

7 21.21%
  • Other (please specify)

19 57.58%

Operating Systems

Regarding webhosts who use WHM/CPanel:

Now that Red Hat Linux 9 is no longer supported, are people still using RHL 9, or are they switching to something else?

The main competition seems to be Fedora Core... what's everyone doing, and what's the pro and con of each OS?
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

I would have thought that CentOS or RHEL would be the alternative.

Anyway, I use CentOS.

Also, I thought RedHat 9 has been gone for a year or something.

Already switched to RHEL. Good support. Steady life-cycle. Solid OS.
    Hendrick Networks - Technical, Security and Connectivity Solutions Built on T.R.U.S.T

The big argument re: Fedora is stability -- an 18 month support cycle and new releases every 6 months.

RHEL and CentOS (the free version of the same distro) are probably a better bet. FreeBSD isn't a bad choice at all, nor is Debian (wanna talk about a long support cycle...)

Remember -- you're not looking for features, you're looking for stability first and foremost. Once you've got something that's stable, it'd be nice to just apply security patches until you come up with a reason to use something different.

A stable platform is a good thing.

Recently migrated a production RH9 server to CentOS and couldn't have been happier. It's a great upgrade and very painless if it is a production box!

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Its all about the security, mature TCP/IP Stack, and ports collection of FreeBSD 5.x
    May this post be indexed by spiders, and archived for all to see as my internet epitaph.

FreeBSD legacy stable here on 7 servers 2 clients as well one who runs 4.11 stable and another on 5.4 stable. Also got one who is a debian guru so well a bit of both worlds when it comes to stability. I have seen first hand the stability of freebsd legacy stable branch as another provider whom I am/was friends with (provider mentioned has since closed down) had a system that hit nearly a full year uptime, only to die due to a hd going bad. Overall I would definitely say FreeBSD is the best choice due to the maturity of it and the constant updates, and of course let us not forget the base off of openbsd which is well known for it's security/stability.

Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I loved Red Hat Entreprise and CentOs

Only a year? I have a freebsd box (not on the internet, but quite busy) that has been up and running since... 4.5 I think it is? next time Im over there I will have to take a look.

i just thought i would post cent os even though it's been said before.

Switched from RH9 to CentOS with Cpanel. Works great.

Chicago, IL
    CentOS here, and I highly recommend it.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Another vote for CentOS

Another vote for CentOS
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Heh - so how many have supported the CentOS project?

(I'm not one to talk - I havent' yet. First installed it this week though...)

My personal choice is FreeBSD, although cpanel seems to be better supported under any of the different RPM-based distros.
    Dan - Vice President - [email protected]
    BurstNET Technologies -

Scranton, PA

Dedicated Server Forums

I use Debian for production servers here at BurstNET.
    My most popular personal server (with a number of users) is FreeBSD (5.4 now).

I do not use a control panel or anything, so I suppose my requirements are different from many users in this forum. I really like debian package management and ease of handling security updates (they are really on the ball).

I prefer FreeBSD over Linux for multiuser environments, though proper GrSecurity configuration is decent, and what I used to have before FreeBSD 5.x. FreeBSD 5.x has a more decent trustedos-ish feature set, such as ACLs and MAC's.

The Fedora series seems to be most popular for our customers, from what I can tell for CPanel clients.