data recovery software

Hello,

sorry to keep bothering you guys...but i wasn't able to get my laptop to run any of the disk wiping software.

i used sonys recovery cd to restore it to factory setting..it is suppose to wipe the C: out..

i'm trying to figure out if it was able to make it impossible to recover older files so i need some software to test it.

please suggest some

thanks

in the mean time..im going to download and try as many as i can..

Download.com: "data recovery"

As far as software for wiping data.. I recommend the following:

Eraser

DBAN
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

WARNING ***DBAN*** KILLS/ERASES YOUR DISK COMPLETLY!!!!!!

USE XTREME CAUTION WITH THIS APP!!!!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Yes, be careful when using this utility and know what you're doing first. Great to use before giving/selling your hard drive to someone.

For the number of passes.. 3 is said to be enough to stop software recovery, and 7 for hardware recovery.

(The US Department of Defense standard is 7!)
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by The Dude
    WARNING ***DBAN*** KILLS/ERASES YOUR DISK COMPLETLY!!!!!!

USE XTREME CAUTION WITH THIS APP!!!!!!!!
    lols...thanks for telling me now.. i already did it..luckily i had no issues..

although i'm a linux n00b...i can figure out the basics.. i used the dod long method took forever too..

when using sony vaio recovery cd i made, it had to create a new partition etc. it did everything automatically which is good.

i feel great now

thanks everyone for your help

we use a nice little floppy here @ work called "gdisk" standard DOD wipe (7 passes).
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Gdisk is a handy utility, it comes with Ghost.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

You can use a live linux cd and do:

shred -n10 /dev/hda (/dev/sda, /dev/hdb.. whatever)

The above will do a few passes.

"man shred" for more information.

Otherwise, you can just use dd:

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda

or

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

"man dd" for more information.

(NOTE: These both will kill data off the drive you specify it, please use caution.)
    Jason

now,how many partitions you can see?

Originally posted by ChrisTech
    we use a nice little floppy here @ work called "gdisk" standard DOD wipe (7 passes).

although not really an issue here i suspect, its been suggested that the 7 passes might not be enough to *completely* erase all traces of data..

Here at the computer maintenance shop on campus, we have some nice software utilities. One lets us recover files (even from formatted drives depending on the format). We recover a lot of data off of bad floppy disks, bad cd's, and hard drives that no longer boot to a working operating system.

We also have a nice drive tester that will test hard drives thouroughly and will perform a DOD wipe on it. (Separate piece of hardware, not attached to a computer).