looking to share rack

Hi,

I'm looking for somebody that would like to share a rack, we need 1/4 rack and 10Mbps or 3000Gb to start.

Need somebody that is running their own datacenter or live closer to their DC because would like to make some deal about servers and hardware maintenance.

Prefered location are some place in Europe, Canada also is good and USA under certain conditions.

PM me your offer and details about what do you manage and where. If you want to share your rack with me I'll expect cost prices, we can discuss extra charges and define the way to collaborate, but nor cost prices, no deal.

Thanks,
    Jose

How much is this going to cost per month?

So you want someone to manage your equipment for you in addition to using their colo, but only pay for the colo and no management?
    Tranquil Hosting

Sloop,

my English is not so good.

No, I don't asking to work for nothing.

If anybody has a rack unused I'm proposing get part of it at their cost price for rack and bandwidth. But for hardware maintenance we will pay for it, we will take care about server administration.

Thanks,
    Jose

Originally posted by josemv
    Sloop,

my English is not so good.

No, I don't asking to work for nothing.

If anybody has a rack unused I'm proposing get part of it at their cost price for rack and bandwidth. But for hardware maintenance we will pay for it, we will take care about server administration.

Thanks,
    Jose
    So you want somebody who pays for a full rack of space, to let you put in 1/4 rack of equipment (1/4 the commitment in size) for the same price per unit as they pay for the full rack? And you want 10mbps of bandwidth for whatever their cost may be (assuming that the party will have a signifigantly higher commit, maybe 100mbps)?

Why dont you just buy 1/4 rack from somewhere?

Are you interested in Switzerland ?

Originally posted by porcupine
    So you want somebody who pays for a full rack of space, to let you put in 1/4 rack of equipment (1/4 the commitment in size) for the same price per unit as they pay for the full rack? And you want 10mbps of bandwidth for whatever their cost may be (assuming that the party will have a signifigantly higher commit, maybe 100mbps)?

Why dont you just buy 1/4 rack from somewhere?
    Hi Myles,

I know that sounds strange, but is the only way I realized to get hardware maintenance for a reasonable price. I suppose could get a better deal on this way helping somebody with their cost and growth together.

But if you read my post I'm open to offers from datacenters guys, like you. I know will not get cost price because its your business

Thanks,
    Jose

Hi Myles,

I know that sounds strange, but is the only way I realized to get hardware maintenance for a reasonable price. I suppose could get a better deal on this way helping somebody with their cost and growth together.

But if you read my post I'm open to offers from datacenters guys, like you. I know will not get cost price because its your business

Thanks,
    Jose
    I doubt you'd get it for cost from anyone, there are always associated overhead costs that prevent that. Unless granted someone was barely treading water (financially) and was absurdly desperate to sell a chunk of their resoruces at any cost, needless to say, not the kind of place anyone would want to be.

Other problem here is that nobody is allowed (by WHT rules) to take you up on the offer or solicit you. While I seriously doubt Priority Colo would be a suitable choice (as you're obviously very concerned about cost, and our setup, while not expensive, is definatly not a "cheapie provider" setup), though this also prevents any of the other readers from soliciting you on the potential deal.

Jose, reply to my PM please.

Originally posted by porcupine
    I doubt you'd get it for cost from anyone, there are always associated overhead costs that prevent that. Unless granted someone was barely treading water (financially) and was absurdly desperate to sell a chunk of their resoruces at any cost, needless to say, not the kind of place anyone would want to be.

Other problem here is that nobody is allowed (by WHT rules) to take you up on the offer or solicit you. While I seriously doubt Priority Colo would be a suitable choice (as you're obviously very concerned about cost, and our setup, while not expensive, is definatly not a "cheapie provider" setup), though this also prevents any of the other readers from soliciting you on the potential deal.
    Hi Myles,

my main concern is not about colo or bandwidth price, is about hardware maintenance, about how the datacenters works for a people like me that is a few thousand miles ago. Pay $50 to replace a hard drive or $200 to replace a mainboard, put my own spare parts and wait 6 hours to get a solution is not my idea of a good service to pay a lot of money like that. That is the reason because I look for an small company or an individual.

Why cost price for a partner like that? If they have a rack, don't ask me the reason, they would save money and also get more money giving me maintenance.

The key point here is service at a reasonable price, lets discuss what is reasonable later, but nor $100-150 per hour.

But maybe I'm a Martian asking for something impossible

Thanks for your advice,
    Jose

Let me try in a different way, following Marcus advise, thanks Marcus.

Anybody there living closer to any datacenter with reasonable prices, could take care about hardware maintenance at a reasonable cost?

Maybe you can also provide servers and hardware, maybe also you can also provide or share space and bandwidth

Thanks,
    Jose

josemv,

Obviously you are trying cut down on costs, but as others have pointed out someone would have to be very desperate to sell a quarter of their rack, plus bandwidth, power, IP's, and any other misc costs incurred at cost which they've already subsidized by making the commit for a full rack, lease, and bandwidth commit.

I really wouldn't recommend that for the long run, you're taking a risk sending your equipment to be colo'd in that situation, how much is that equipment worth, and would you really save that much? I don't know much about the european market, but if it's like the US you should have plenty of reputable and reasonable offers from colo's for a quarter rack and that much bandwidth.

There's just too much that can go wrong in that type of situation to justify the potential savings.

Let me try in a different way, following Marcus advise, thanks Marcus.

Anybody there living closer to any datacenter with reasonable prices, could take care about hardware maintenance at a reasonable cost?

Maybe you can also provide servers and hardware, maybe also you can also provide or share space and bandwidth

Thanks,
    Jose
    Problem is, if you're sharing a rack persay, and paying for the hardware maintenance, chances are if someones willing to do this deal with you, they're very small time.

Generally speaking that will mean to do any of your maintenance they will have to drive to the site. Theres nothing wrong with that, and is how most of the small/medium sized companies operate (ourselves included). Yet at the same time, this means that they're going to bill you for an hours work, even if just replacing a HDD, as they'll likely spend the better part of an hour getting to/from your server and whatever else they were doing.

That being said, you also may wait hours for a tech to arrive, as they assumedly wont have 24x7 onsite, even if, you wouldn't be paying premium rates to receive it. You may have to wait for them to get back from a dinner function they're attending, from the movies with their signifigant other, or what have you. If you're receiving most of your services at cost, its not unreasonable to consider you may be treated with a lower priority.

sshepherd,

Good point, you are right, will take on consideration. But I'm not desperate about price only, I'm desperate about pay a lot of money for a poor service as I told before.

If all the problem is "want cost prices" forget it, no problem, if you are a big guy you would never give me your cost price, because or colo is your business or you don't need me. But if you are a small guy, no problem also, add your margin. Everything can be discussed. And remember Europe is my prefered location, because legal issues, then Canada and later USA.

We are managing our own dedicated servers for years and need to go an step forward. We are very happy with EV1 and less with other providers. And we suffered very bad service from well known providers along the years. Price and service quality are not the same magnitudes, should be, but are not. If they don't take care about their own servers, should I expect a better response for mine?

I'm pretty sure that for a lot of Americans $100-150 per hour is not their idea about a reasonable price. And I suppose the labour costs are not the same thru US, there are bigger differences in any country around the World.

In this equation quality service is the main variable.

Jose

It is important that you realize that personel costs money. Also possible liability costs money. If you put equiptment in my cabinets and i offer you remote hands for hardware maintenance then there is a certain risk.

What if my engineer by accident breaks your server or spare part?

Thats why hours of skilled personel plus certain risk of liability is not cheap, will never be cheap. I have my people to pay as well as insurance fees.

We do however man our site 24x7. Be aware also that hardware problems are not always straightforward, if something fails, you need to troubleshoot the problem. If a server suddenly reboots a lot, there are different hardware issues (i would first check all software issues) that can cause this problems. I would hire a skilled engineer at 100$ per hour then anyday above a non skilled guy for 30$ an hour, simply because the skilled engineer probably will find the cause a factor 5 faster then the non skilled guy.

In service it is always: you get what you pay for,

Goodluck.