Question When I hire someone to do something on a domain, how do I keep them from fiddling?

When I hire someone to do something on a domain, how do I keep them from fiddling all around the server?

I'm operating a dedicated server with BDS and Plesk 7.

When I want to give someone access to my server to let them add a CGI program to a domain, for example, what do I do to make sure they don't have access to the entire server?

Do I have to give them a special account? What's it called? Does it work on just one domain? Where do I put it?

Thank you

You can make a superuser account which doesn't have all the abilities of root.

I'd recommend to just use a reputable agent for rendering services on your machine though.

I recommend bobcares.com and actsupport.com for cheap and excellent quality server admin.

Originally posted by spikez202
    You can make a superuser account which doesn't have all the abilities of root.
    What's a superuser account?

I use have a BSD Plesk 7 dedicated server. I don't see where I can set up a superuser?

Just setup a shell account for that domain. You should be able to do that through Plesk.

Originally posted by vidahost
    Just setup a shell account for that domain. You should be able to do that through Plesk.
    That works too!

What's a "shell acount"?

I'm in the server, and on the domain, and there's something called a Domain User that allows me to do this:

Preferences
    Allow domain user access
    Login websitename.com
    Password *
    Confirm Password *

Permissions
    Physical hosting management
    Non-chrooted shell management
    Hard disk quota assignment
    Subdomains management
    DNS zone management
    Log rotation management
    Crontab management
    Anonymous FTP management
    Web applications management
    System access management
    Mailing lists management
    Dr.Web management
    Backup/restore functions
    Site Builder

There's also something called a Web User that allows me to do this:

Web user name *
    Old password None
    New password
    Confirm Password
    Hard disk quota MB Unlimited
    Apache ASP support
    SSI support
    PHP support
    CGI support
    mod_perl support
    mod_python support

I don't see a "shell account" thingie?

Which of the above look right to you, or is there something else?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 05-12-2005 at 10:51 PM.

Tick the "non-chrooted shell management" box. Then give the person the username and password you create, and they'll be able to SSH in and do the work, and not be able to fiddle with the server.

As long as you're paying them you should have all their details so if they do try anything funny, you can track them down.

Originally posted by vidahost
    Tick the "non-chrooted shell management" box. Then give the person the username and password you create, and they'll be able to SSH in and do the work, and not be able to fiddle with the server.

As long as you're paying them you should have all their details so if they do try anything funny, you can track them down.
    So I make a Domain User, and I tick the non-chrooted" box, and give them a login and password?

After that they can get in there and install the program on the domain and do everything they have do with it?

Why do so difficult?

You have plesk so when you add a domainname you have to enter user-details for ftp acces. With these username and password he can acces all folders with ftp for his domainname.

Depends what's necessary for the program. SSH can be a lot easier, even necessary.

Originally posted by mikemikemike
    So I make a Domain User, and I tick the non-chrooted" box, and give them a login and password?

After that they can get in there and install the program on the domain and do everything they have do with it?
    Yes.

It sounds like you need an admin period. This is very basic stuff, be it on BSD or pleask. If you dont know how to do this how to you expect to do anything important if your server happens to break?

Taking side bets on how long before he's hacked..lol.

Log into Plesk CP > then click the domain you want to give the tech access to > click Domain User > enter his info and give a password (he then will have access to log into the control panel using the domain name as the user name and the password you assigned, and only that domain account) > then give him FTP access and you can always update this after he is done. I do not recommend SSH access unless you trust them as they can still run commands via this log in.

Pretty much most CGI's can be done via FTP, some are easier in SSH and if this is the case get a good honest Admin that is known to help you, not someone you are scared of (just makes good sense to trust who is in your box).

What is the program you are wanting to install?

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Since your original question asked about CGI programs then FTP access would be fine.
    Same goes for php programs.
    It's rare that you would need to give someone shell access for installations.

yeah as blue27 said, why should he needs ssh access to install a cgi ??

ftp is just fine...

I'm assuming that your dedicated server is managed. If for some reason someone needs shell access (which I doubt they would) you should probably just ask your host to do it.

Originally posted by GWDGuy
    Log into Plesk CP > then click the domain you want to give the tech access to > click Domain User > enter his info and give a password (he then will have access to log into the control panel using the domain name as the user name and the password you assigned, and only that domain account) > then give him FTP access and you can always update this after he is done. I do not recommend SSH access unless you trust them as they can still run commands via this log in.

Pretty much most CGI's can be done via FTP, some are easier in SSH and if this is the case get a good honest Admin that is known to help you, not someone you are scared of (just makes good sense to trust who is in your box).
    You came, you saw, you conquered! Good step by step.

Hey, look at me I'm computing!

Thank you all.