Question How is server operations affected by large downloads?

I want people to download a 1.8 meg ebook.

In order not to slow down the operation of the main domain, should I place this file on another domain that is just used for downloads?

I don't want the download to cause a slow down for the other people surfing the main domain.

As far as the speed of operations as perceived by the incoming surfer, does everything that happens on a BSD dedicated server with a few domains on it effect the speed of all the other domains on the server?

Thank you

mikemikemike,

Everything that happens is obviously going to 'slow' the overall speed but on a properly configured server it should have little effect unless you have massive amounts of users downloading the file.

A 1.8 mb download should not even be noticable to people viewing other aspects of the website. However, if you have 1 million people downloading that 1.8 mb file all at the same time...you're going to have a problem. It really depends on the traffic flow and how many people are downloading concurrently.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by HP-David
    mikemikemike,

Everything that happens is obviously going to 'slow' the overall speed but on a properly configured server it should have little effect unless you have massive amounts of users downloading the file.
    But if I put that file on a completely separate domain on the same server, is the main domain better off (faster response) because the larger file isn't being downloaded from main domain?

I guess what I'm asking is if on a BSD dedicated server operating under Plesk 7, is it better to have separate domains managing the tasks of handling:

(1) Response to normal surfers who are clicking to go from one simple HTML page to another

and

(2) Response to surfers who are Downloading the larger file?

Does it matter? Why?

Thank you

It makes no difference at all where the file is placed on the server.

a 1.8 MB file is not too big. Unless of course it is downloaded thousands of times each day... so it depends on the frequency of the download

How about if the server has two hard disks?

What if the main domain is on Disk 1 and the large file is on Disk 2.

Does that keep the speed of the requests going to Disk 1 faster? Will the response time be better if the downloadables are not on the same disk?

1.8Mb is a tiny file. It doesn't matter.

As for a different disk, that depends how you've got Apache setup, but I suppose it could be quicker.

There's really no need though. You'd hit RAM limits before anything else.