Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

Arghhhh!!!!

Right okay let me first explain my situation.

My host seems to have disappeared and I submitted a ticket on the 5th and have had no response. I'm running out of patience here so I have decided to take dramatic actions now.

I have decided to sort out another host and backup all my files and move away. If it were so simple.

Basically I have a website which has about 650mb-700mb or stuff (flash games, animations etc).

On my computer I do not have this. I formatted my computer recently by mistake so I went onto ftp about a month ago to download everything back onto my computer. I think SmartFTP got bored with so much files and quit again like it usually does.

So anyway I need some way of downloading all my files as the only way at the moment is through file manager in cPanel. The backup option doesnt work - it created the tar.gz file but its 0kb and is empty. I am running out of options so I need help urgently.

Is there a script or something that will allow me to download stuff all at once. The file manager in cPanel wants me to do files individually.

I am hoping my host will sort things out but they dont seem trustworthy. Before they were amazing. fast emails, quick resolution to problems and amazing uptime. But they were sold to another company and its all going downhill.

I thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks for your time and have a great day!

Thanks
    Barry

Do you have SSH access?

BTW, you could try using the "FTP" option instead of the "home directory" option, since it may be you just don't have enough space in your home directory to store the backup
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Thank you for your reply.

I really doubt i've got SSH.

Thats the point ftp wont work.

If I try ftp.fofusion.co.uk and the user and pass then nope
    If I try the IP address and the user and pass then nope

so I think I'm screwed.

What I tried to do was the remote backup.

I'll give it another go and hope for the best.

But I am still desperately looking for options.

EDIT

duno if it helps but I can still get emails sent to me etc. Its really weird.

Thanks
    Barry
    Last edited by Bazz_2k1; 05-10-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Sometimes it is "[email protected]" using cPanel. And remember, you need to FTP to a different site other then your own.

As far as FTP, I ment the FTP option in cPanel. Not using SmartFTP. Get another host wtih cPanel, and use the FTP option in cPanel to get it. Trust me, it works, or atleast it should.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Thank you

I'll give it a go

Thanks
    Barry

Right sorry.

You're gonna have to tell me where. I really dont get you.

Thanks
    Barry

Sorry to bump this thread so soon but this is very urgent.

If anyone has any other ideas or knows what I should be doing then please let me know.

Thanks
    Barry

Download a ftp client such as cuteftp ( http://www.cuteftp.com ) there is a free trial for the software. Ftp to your account and download all of the files. I've used cuteftp to get thousandsa of files at a time without any errors.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Thank you for your reply.

Its not that I dont know how to access ftp. I've used it before.

Thing is its refusing to let me in.

Port 21 and Port 80 is down - either its disabled intentionally or its some strange problem. I dont know because my host is basically ignoring me. I submitted a ticket 5 days ago. So I'm hoping their just swamped with lots of tickets and its taking time. I never usually fire off an email as soon as the server goes down. It's such a waste of time instead I usually wait a few days then ask whats happening.

What I dont know is how to use the FTP option in cPanel.

Thanks
    Barry

Like Sheps said before, try using the FTP backup option.
    If you backup your files over to your new host via FTP, then you can just extract them directly to your new hosting.

Regards
    Steven Billings
    2UK2 - Local Solutions, World Wide Potential

First-Rate Support, Stupendous Prices, Remarkable Uptime

I have never attempted these steps I have outlined below, but they should work. Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

I think what others are suggesting is to get another account with another host, preferably a cpanel host. Then after you receive the information for the new account, log into your old account's control panel and use the backup option. Click on Generate/Download a Full Backup.

Then for Backup Destination select Remote FTP server. For Remote Server enter the IP address of your new hosting account. For Remote User enter your new hosting account username. For Remote Password enter your new hosting account password. I don't think port and directory are required, if they are 21 and / should be sufficient someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You should receive an e-mail at the Email Address you specified informing you that the backup is complete.

Now you can download the gzip'd tarball from your new account via FTP. Once you have it downloaded on your local computer, you can delete it from the new host to insure that you will have enough space to extract it.

Then log into your control panel on the new host and click on backup and under Restore a Home Backup browse to the gzip'd tarball that you downloaded and generated from your old host and click upload. And that should install the information in that tarball which should be your entire account from the old server. I think this is how it works, again someone can correct me if I'm wrong I've never done this.

You would then need to change the nameservers for your domain to point to the new host, which again should be given to you by the new host.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much..

I thought that I'd mentioned this in my original post but I'd already tried this but had no luck. Although cPanel on my old host does connect to my new hosting account and it does upload the backup-5.10.2005_15-33-11_fofusion.tar.gz file. I have downloaded this to my computer. I then went to cPanel on my new account and went to upload it.

It then takes me to a page saying: Restoring files. This was 10 minutes ago and since the file is 0bytes And when you try to double click it on windows and it says:

The archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

I've ran out of ideas and I think I'm gonna loose everything. Theres no way that I'm gonna spend like 5 hours or so downloading files one at a time (I've got about 700mb worth of stuff).

Thanks a lot for your time.

Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Barry

Stupid question -
    Why don't you just ask your new host to transfer your account over?

They will need your username and password on your current host, and should be able to transfer it as root in WHM.

Regards
    Steven Billings
    2UK2 - Local Solutions, World Wide Potential

First-Rate Support, Stupendous Prices, Remarkable Uptime

Having your new host restore it is one idea.

You should try contacting your new host about your problem since it seems to be an issue with them and not with your old host. Its possible the archive is incomplete, but your new host should be able to determine if this is the case.

Thanks again guys for your continued support.

I was speaking with him earlier but lots of settings etc have changed so maybe it is a good idea to inform him.

Before he said that because the file was being created on my new account it shouldnt really be their end thats having problems.

I'll let him know and get back to you.

Thanks again
    Barry

Hello,

I am his host, and the problem we're having is that his current reseller account on the other server seems to be having a lot of issues. Namely, http and ftp are down, however he CAN get in WHM.

I have tried transferring his files over from his existing server using WHM transfer, which I've done four hundred and fifty million times, however the issue seems to be on his server, as WHM won't even connect to it.

I've created a reseller account for him on my server, and have suggested he try using remote backup through ftp to his reseller account on my server, however his server seems to be having trouble sending the data through to the server. My guess is he's really SOL from being screwed by his current host. I am confident that if his host would bring the failing services back online, then the WHM transfer would be easy, however that doesn't look to be possible.

I'm at a loss as to how to help him move the sites, other than suggesting he move everything manually, which of course could be tedious. I'd also suggested trying like hell to find a phone number to call the host, or perhaps filing a complaint/dispute with whatever provider the host accepts payments for - whatever will "wake him up". Afterall, if he isn't providing the services that he's getting paid for, then... he shouldn't be receiving that money.

Thank you ;-)

You're right I probably should hunt down companies that accept payment on their behalf.

But even if I paid with a bank transfer does that still mean they will do anything (the credit card companies)?

Before I take such drastic measures I'll give it a few days. You never know maybe they pay for support elsewhere and their contract has expired and they are in the process of sorting it out. Could be a million reasons.

Thanks
    Barry

Sure it could be a million reasons. Or, they could just be trying to screw you over. Regardless, I suggest hunting down a phone number, possibly through their WHOIS info?

Depending on how you did pay, you'd go about hunting them down that way. If you paid through bank transfer, perhaps you can contact you bank and request his contact information. If you suggest that he may be committing fraud, they may be able to stop payment or even reverse the current charge or future charges, that way he doesn't continue to take money for services he isn't providing.

You may get lucky, maybe he'll email you in an hour and tell you he's sorry, explain the situation, and have everything back up. If that's the case, great - we'll get the WHM transfer started right away! I'm eager to help you out Barry, it's just unfortunate that this other host's server has complicated things.

Thanks once again.

I tried the other night out of interest to start hunting through the WHOIS information but no luck.

As for the bank transfer I paid a full year in advance so stopping payments wont work :-p

I keep going on their site. Livechat is always offline, No response to my ticket.

I really doubt anything will happen. But you never know.

Barry

No problem Barry. That does suck that you paid a year in advance. I wouldn't really suggest doing that for any provider because you don't know that your "situation" will stay the same for an entire year. Prices in hosting will change, features provided will change, new companies will pop up, and worse... some will die! Anyway, keep me updated...

He He I experienced a bit of that with that company.

Prices did change but I was not required to pay extra. Features kinda changed and they sold over to another company which is nowhere near as good.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks
    Barry