Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* More than 90 rounds fired during California chase

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. — During a chase, deputies shot more than 90 rounds at a sport-utility vehicle that they thought had been involved in a shooting Monday, police said.

The driver and a sheriff's deputy were wounded, police said.

The 15-minute chase began after police responded to a report that shots had been fired in a Compton neighborhood known for gang-related shootings. They tried to pull over an SUV that had been reported loitering in the neighborhood, but the car sped away.
    Full Article: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...n/11605023.htm

I'm very shocked by how officers handled this situation and I have a feeling we may see a LA Riots part 2 because remember Rodney King? He got his *** kicked, but this person was unarmed and shot 4 times...
    Kerry Jones

I, too, am shocked. I can't believe the opened that many rounds of bullets onto the vechicle.

Ugh, look, you weren't there, part of the way this whole country works is that we entrust certain rights to police officers to protect the entire good of the country.

Does that mean that we should just walk merrily by if we notice police abuse or corruption going on? No, however I am getting very sick of people questioning what the police do on a daily basis(those same people if you remembered got all heated when the video came out of the soldier in Iraq shooting a unarmed man on the ground(who we later found out was making a motion like going for a bomb)).

If the police feel their life is threatened, then hell, they should shoot off as many rounds as they feel is necessary...

Meh, just a rant had to get off my chest
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

I saw parts of the video... the police aren't suppose to fire unless a suspect takes what is considered a "hostile action". I highly doubt this guy pointed or even attempted to make it look like he had a gun.

It was also a total disregard for public safety and life... 11 of those rounds hit several nearby houses. How would they of felt if one of their rounds was to hit a child? Remember, they are here to protect and serve not to protect and harm.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by IH-Ken
    If the police feel their life is threatened, then hell, they should shoot off as many rounds as they feel is necessary...

And thats the exact excuse they use to get off easy.

I've seen the video. I don't believe the window was down, nor did the guy point a gun out and start shooting. If anything, they should have taken out the wheels. Not shoot into the car knowing you could kill the guy.

And, we should question what the police do.. We should question what the government do. If we don't we become ignorant to our surroundings and thats when #$&@ hits the fan.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Actually they'd already taken out his tires with a spike strip. Last I heard the round count was up to 130, with 11-14 hitting houses and one cop getting nailed by his buddy in the crossfire.

If you see the video it sounds like chinese firecrackers going off. Way over the top.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

So many Monday Morning Quarterbacks here....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by akashik
    Actually they'd already taken out his tires with a spike strip.
    If you see the video it sounds like chinese firecrackers going off. Way over the top.

That should have been enough... But nope... Police had to have a fun day. "LETS SEE CAN YOU HIT THE HANDLE ON THE DOOR OF THE TRUCK"
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

They did a good job. Criminals in general, drug dealers, killers etc get off with too much. Minus the shooting in the homes which i'm sure were not their intensions and that's not a good enough excuse, but who cares about some drug dealer who is only corrupting the society even more.

One less parasite on the streets. However, the cops themselves sell drugs so it all comes down to having a badge. Yes this may offend some, but there have been many cases and there are still cases these days pending on how there are quite a few officers who are involved ins ome illegal activity.

Originally posted by UniServe Hosting
    They did a good job. Criminals in general, drug dealers, killers etc get off with too much. Minus the shooting in the homes which i'm sure were not their intensions and that's not a good enough excuse, but who cares about some drug dealer who is only corrupting the society even more.

One less parasite on the streets. However, the cops themselves sell drugs so it all comes down to having a badge. Yes this may offend some, but there have been many cases and there are still cases these days pending on how there are quite a few officers who are involved ins ome illegal activity.
    We don't know for a fact if he is a drug dealer. It was reported from residents that this person was placing loud music around the neighborhood and loitering around the location. In my area we have the same type of people doing the same thing, but will my city's officers shoot at them because they think their in a gang?

Let's not forget teenagers likes to play music loud too... how long will it be before we see officers do the same to a couple of kids? I know they were running from the police, but there is no excuse to fire that amount of rounds unless they see an hostile action.
    Kerry Jones

He also ran for more than 4 hours ...

Probably still over the top. I'm simply amazed they didn't kill him (not that they should have, just amazed they missed that many times). 120-130 rounds and the person who's the most hurt is a cop. Silly.
    Last edited by jeff_2anet; 05-10-2005 at 12:19 PM.

I was watching this earlier as it happened on the news. There wasn't anything but 2 bullets in the windsheild. The officers were firing at the tires, trying to get the SUV to stop. The guy was a psycho, he was going 90+ mph in residential areas, going over front lawns, school zones, the guy didn't give a damn. I would be shocked at what the person did and his very disregard for human life, not shocked at the officers who did their duty. You try to get an SUV to slow down that's going 90mph, not much you can do except fire at the tires or at the guy himself.

Ugh, look, you weren't there, part of the way this whole country works is that we entrust certain rights to police officers to protect the entire good of the country.
    Does unqualified shooting at a suspect, meanwhile hitting many houses and hitting one of your own "protect the entire good of the country"?

Does that mean that we should just walk merrily by if we notice police abuse or corruption going on? No, however I am getting very sick of people questioning what the police do on a daily basis(those same people if you remembered got all heated when the video came out of the soldier in Iraq shooting a unarmed man on the ground
    As JWise said, it is good to question authority and thus to question the police and the government as a whole. It cannot harm anyone to question something; however, it can harm people to not question something.

(who we later found out was making a motion like going for a bomb)).
    We "found out" that the supposed unarmed insurgent was making a motion that appeared as such? How did we "find out" anything? Were we there? Did we witness the incident firsthand? For that matter, even if we had witnessed the incident firsthand, it would be subjective -- entirely dependent upon how we interpreted this supposed "motion". The people who have cleared this Marine of charges and have made the statements you referenced obviously have some interest in the case -- they are part of the government, and would therefore like to minimize damage and maximize reputation. Even if the Marine had in fact shot this unarmed insurgent, I feel pretty confident that the investigative committee who looked into this case would clear him of charges for exactly those reasons. "Corruption?" some might ask. No, I think it's typical Western politics.

So you're basically suggesting that we leave the word "necessary" -- an entirely subjective word, mind you -- completely open to their interpretation and discretion of what is "necessary" for the situation at hand. That is what we do already, although emphasizing this would probably encourage more "Rodney King"s and more incidents like the one posted in this thread.

Meh, just a rant had to get off my chest
    A great and eloquently stated one, at that.

Only in California.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I saw parts of the video... the police aren't suppose to fire unless a suspect takes what is considered a "hostile action". I highly doubt this guy pointed or even attempted to make it look like he had a gun.
    The cops were responding to a drive by shooting.

From LA Times:

The incident began shortly after midnight, when deputies responded to a call of gunfire and were told to look for a white SUV.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Jones
    It was also a total disregard for public safety and life... 11 of those rounds hit several nearby houses. How would they of felt if one of their rounds was to hit a child? Remember, they are here to protect and serve not to protect and harm.
    Yes, it was a disregard for human life on the part of the driver who was going over front lawns doing 90+mph, etc.

The incident began shortly after midnight, when deputies responded to a call of gunfire and were told to look for a white SUV.
    The SUV from what I saw on the video was black and not white. I wonder if the entire video is downloaded and distributed to the internet?
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    The SUV from what I saw on the video was black and not white. I wonder if the entire video is downloaded and distributed to the internet?
    There was an explanation on the news this morning (i'm in LA)

Basically they think that the officers were shooting at each other. There was an officer behind the SUV and when the SUV started backing up he fired...shortly after an officer "tripped' which to other officers in the dark likely looked like he had been shot..so that's what started the gunfire...and basically from there it became a disaster..

Hello Kerry,

Compton is not where your average teenager hangs out.

Compton has got to be the most dangerous city around. Check the following chart, yes it's not exactly up to date but farily new statistics of murders etc.

http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/topics/Crime/cr03.htm

Hello Kerry,

Compton has got to be the most dangerous city around. Check the following chart, yes it's not exactly up to date but farily new statistics of murders etc.

Sorry to go off topic but i noticed this in your link UniServe

"In 2004, Santa Clarita continued to rank as one of the safest cities in Los Angeles County and the 10th safest in the nation among cities with a population of 100,000 to 499,999. "

This is where I live...YAY, the city has also been ranked #2 and #3 safest cities in the world next to Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. Whats even more Ironic is that all these cities are a 35 minute drive from Compton, Artesia, Inglewood and Watts.

Originally posted by sirius
    So many Monday Morning Quarterbacks here....
    I'd love for some of these guys spend a weekend in a sh*thole like Compton. I' ll bet you they'd see things differently..

-B

Originally posted by TMX
    I'd love for some of these guys spend a weekend in a sh*thole like Compton. I' ll bet you they'd see things differently..

-B
    Finally someone who can see the forrest for the trees....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Wow.. that number just keeps going up and up and up. At first it was 40 rounds.. then 50 rounds.. then 55 rounds.. then 60 rounds.. then 70 rounds....then all of a sudden 75 rounds.. then 85 rounds.. now 90 rounds. By tomorrow it will be 250 rounds....
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Hello Kerry,

Bunch of crap. I was born and raised in Calif and lived a few blocks from the famous crenshaw boulevard. It's not all that. People blow things up to make them bigger or more dangerous than they really are.

I've been down to Compton quite a few times with several basketball teams, and a friend of mine lives in the area. Yea.. its not really a place you want to live or be around..... Yea.. it is all that..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Maybe for those who walk with your head down. As it is know, you are treated as you walk.

I never had any issues. If others did it's because they were disrespectful and walked with their head down. I've been in worse places.

Edit: between bush thread and your expertise on Compton you must have lived a full life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast