Mail server doesnt always work

Once a week for 3 weeks in a row, the mail server will send mail but stop receiving it until I reboot the server. Not knowing anything about servers myself, what can I tell the hosting service to do to fix this problem? They claim they have checked it out and can't find anything wrong.

Thank you for your help.

Maybe you would like to give us more info on your mail program and the error logs etc.

Host response

I just got this email from my host:

"I have tracked the issue down to a DNS server on our networks which coincides with your loss of email functionality. You server is configured to utilize a secondary server, but for some reason is not kicking over. Iíll have someone look into it today."

On an aside note, I was reading another post that said if you dont know anything about servers, you shouldnt have a dedicated server. I started off with a reseller account and the host said I needed a dedicated server. They ar generally pretty good about tending to technical issues. Should I really not have a server? I thought that the technicl issues were the sellers responsibility?

Thanks.

If you don't know about servers, best is to get find a sysadmin , there are quite a few good ones on WHT. In the meantime, learn as you grow. That would be the best approach. Reseller accounts have a lot of limitations. But again it depends on your business model which is suitable for you.

For dedicated servers, unless you are getting managed dedicated servers, technical issues for sellers are normally hardware. They wouldnt do day to day management for you.