Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanx for replies.

Many people having dedicated hosting think $40/$25 a month are a piece of crap. Those having $15/$20 a month think $5 are crap. And You think $1 a month is a crap, but many of you probably haven't tried them at all... But I thank you all for replies anyway.

I've checked a couple $1 a month sites using Alexa toolbar amd noticed they're like 2.000.000 or more. That's about 2 or 3 unique's a month. Can't imagine how the heck they have stayed for 3 or 5 years in this business if they can't get any traffic. Maybe it's scam, maybe... I don't know.

It's just I don't want to get a $5 or $7/mo host and see they're having tons of downtimes and etc. So it's like a waste of money. You never know which host is the best. Even the good ones, winners ******, Host Excellence, Ipowerweb have very negative reviews. One says it's great the other says it's worst hi's ever tried. Any hosting is a risk, I just don't want to spend most of my marketing money on a crappy host and regret that I could get smth. better for $1 a month (hey maybe I'm cheap, little...).

anyway, checked http://www.hostexcellence.com/starter_h.php
    for $3/mo. This host has had good and bad reviews. Also godaddy hosting, if I purchased domain from them seems good. So You think these, just little more expensive will definately deliver me much more?
      0 Not allowed!

All hosts have good & bad reviews that cannot be helped. You cannot please everybody & from my experience alot of the bad reviews are from bad clients because a host would not put up with their spamming, running malicious scripts, warez etc.... So they suspend them. In spite the users trash the host on a forum or elsewhere. As for your $1.00 hosting it is not practicle. No host can afford to do it unless they never provide support. Considering if a host has a full time support staff everytime you contact them could cost the host $2.00 - $5.00 per ticket. The only ones who could do this are host that simply has a reseller account & they are at the mercy of who they have the reseller account with for uptime etc... Drev you sound ambitios & I wish you the best of luck in your adventure. But before you jump in with two feet get a plan together & seek some more advice. Hey we all had to start somewhere & learn the ropes.
    Reliable Personal & Business Hosting Solutions

http://www.onwebusa.net
      0 Not allowed!

drev, if you are here again to read this,

you can try http://e-rice.net/

they seem to have a stable service, reasonable features, do not promise out-of-earth stuffs
    only problem - probably they accept onlypaypal - if you have no prob with that you can surely try them - they have also good reviews on this board
      0 Not allowed!

ONWEBUSA, I'm searching for a little more expensive host right now. I've heard enough to make an opinion now. It's just hard to find a good one. Pobably the best reviews are for hosts that are not very large yet, so the can offer great support and etc., but ASA it gets larger, so more problems appear and more bad reviews appear.

Mahut, thanx, but that's the problem. Paypal isn't available for me.

Now I'm looking for not expensive $3-$6 hosts that are not very popular. there should be lots of great hosts despite so marketed ******, ipowerweb or pwweb.

I'll try to dig as much as possible... Wondering about that HostExcellence - Starter. Anyone has smth. bad to say about that one?
      0 Not allowed!

Atjeu has a $5.95/month plan you have to pay in advance for a year. I've got an acquintance who runs a site on this plan and I have yet to see downtime.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Drev
    Any hosting is a risk, I just don't want to spend most of my marketing money on a crappy host and regret that I could get smth. better for $1 a month (hey maybe I'm cheap, little...).
    You are partly having a good business attitude and that is to maximize income and minimize expenses. Though it is the absolute wrong thing to save on the most important aspect of your business, the gate that you need to even DO business. You must notice that anything you will do in your business and your life will be a risk, there is no such thing as risk-free.

You are having the risk of getting no customers
    You are having the risk of loosing your money with advertising and not seeing *any* return
    the list goes on...

Though the last thing you would want to generate loss in all of these categories because your website is down - google adwords runs in the empty and leads to a dead page - boom - lost click-payments. Your potential customer can´t view your page - boom - money lost again. Your clients get upset because your site and emails ain´t working and start spreading bad words about you like you can see them here each day in the forums... the list goes on.

Conclusion is SAVE EVERYWHERE BUT NOT ON YOUR MOST IMPORTANTS THING AND GATE TO THE WORLD - YOUR WEBSITE because if that isn´t working, everything else will automatically fail as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Lorenz, great words. You're right.

However, I think I've found a cheap and good one. I decided to go with www.asmallorange.com. They have lots of great reviews here and there, offer everything I need. I just send them an email and see how fast they are. They offer 99.5% uptime guarantee. In their forum one guy had 1 month experience and had Uptime: 99.92%.
    And someone said like 99.5 is fair enough for a personal website. Many budget (5-9 bucks) companies can't provide 99.5 so how canit be good only for poor q. sites?... I don't know, I think I'll go with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Your 100% right in saying that its hard to find a reliable host. Its like buying a good meal....

If your going to spend $5-$7 a month for the meal certainly expect fast food type of service/food.

If your going to spend $20-$40 then obviously you'd expect much better service/food.

Certainly you can have bad experiences but which would you be more likely to get bad service/food? The $5-$7 or the $20-$40?
      0 Not allowed!

Alll depends on whom the person is that is serving the french fires...........

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ONWEBUSA
    Alll depends on whom the person is that is serving the french fires...........
    It´s rather the cook and how much he gets paid. He then makes a good or ugly meal.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Drev
    Lorenz, great words. You're right.

However, I think I've found a cheap and good one. I decided to go with www.asmallorange.com. They have lots of great reviews here and there, offer everything I need. I just send them an email and see how fast they are. They offer 99.5% uptime guarantee. In their forum one guy had 1 month experience and had Uptime: 99.92%.
    And someone said like 99.5 is fair enough for a personal website. Many budget (5-9 bucks) companies can't provide 99.5 so how canit be good only for poor q. sites?... I don't know, I think I'll go with them.
    Must mean nothing that they aren´t good, but:

Domain Name: ASMALLORANGE.COM
    Created on: 15-Jan-04

Though when looking at http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&lr...LORANGE.COM%22 I can find a lot good reviews about them. So keep us updated about your experience with them.
      0 Not allowed!

I have emailed them and received the answer within 10 minutes or less. I mean minutes. I've never received such fast support. They seem very polite and nice people. I hope their uptime is what they promise too.

Well I think this is it. You'll never know if a host is good for you unless you try it out. I can say that I'm confident with trying this one out. I'll post after few months maybe how things were going.

cheers.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lorenz
    Must mean nothing that they aren´t good, but:

Domain Name: ASMALLORANGE.COM
    Created on: 15-Jan-04
    Every hosting company has to start business and will be considered as "new" in the first 2 years.
    When no potential client would give them a try, no hosting company would survive even the 1st year in business.
      0 Not allowed!

This is what bothers me about the "hosting industry" (I use quotes because the "hosting industry" is a joke.)

We have children like drev who think 3 ****ing dollars a month is a wise spend. HAH! What a ridiculous ridiculous, not living in reality, way to start a business.

If you cannot afford a few thousand a month, if you cannot "see value" beyond a few hundred, then you will fail.

Business expenses are often many thousand a month, and this guy is talking about the price of... a bagel?

What a joke.

Please admit the only reason you want hosting is to put your Christina Aguilera pictures online. If it is anything other than this, go back to school and study for your exams. Do not waste your time here.
      0 Not allowed!

Kind of harsh dont you think? en2? We all wanted to do something with our lives when we where younger. Some wanted to be a fireman others a cop others a webhost. He will eventualy find out it takes bucks as well as braun to make it so let him try. At least he is seeking advice wich is more than I can say for most kids...as alot of them think they know more than everybody else & have it all figured out....

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ONWEBUSA
    Kind of harsh dont you think? en2? We all wanted to do something with our lives when we where younger. Some wanted to be a fireman others a cop others a webhost. He will eventualy find out it takes bucks as well as braun to make it so let him try. At least he is seeking advice wich is more than I can say for most kids...as alot of them think they know more than everybody else & have it all figured out....
    He speaks the truth though. If your budget is less than a peice bagel then you are not near ready to start and commit to a business. My advice would be saving up some more money and seeking more advice. Goodluck.
      0 Not allowed!

there are ones out there at a cheap price but like everyone said you will basicly have limits
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Castellani
    He speaks the truth though. If your budget is less than a peice bagel then you are not near ready to start and commit to a business. My advice would be saving up some more money and seeking more advice. Goodluck.
    Why not let him try? When he fails he hasn't lost much money
    but might have gained some valueable experiences that help
    him to be more successful next time.

But who knows, maybe he will be successful even with only
    a small investment
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by yangxi
    Why not let him try? When he fails he hasn't lost much money
    but might have gained some valueable experiences that help
    him to be more successful next time.

But who knows, maybe he will be successful even with only
    a small investment
    Not only do I agree with you but I truly persuade him to do the exact thing; you won't know unless you try. I learned valuable experiences from my mistakes in the past, and I have learned to correct them.
      0 Not allowed!

It will be really hard to get 1 dollar quality hosting mate

But try your best.
      0 Not allowed!

I use ShieldHost.com for one of my sites, and have found them to offer decent basic service. Their service is actually $1.99, but I think that's about the lowest price you'll find (for a service that's worth using).
    Jeremy Maddock
    WealthStream.info - Internet Marketing Articles and Advice
      0 Not allowed!

Drev,

I am sorry to see your initial questions weren't answered, but rather lots of folks decided they'd instead tell you how you CAN'T do something vs. how to help you achieve it. My response to you is to go for it anyway - the only way really to know is to just do it.

Do as much research as you can, then "test-drive" some hosts. If you can afford it, try getting a handful of Domain Names ($8.88 at Namecheap dot com, who I recommend highly) and then put one up on each of the hosts you'd like to try. It may cost a little "up front" money, but at least you'll have hands-on experience. Some will let you pay monthly; others bi-monthly or semi-annually.

You can research the host by looking up their info on "Who Is" sites (one I use is whois dot sc) to see how long they've been in business (someone here said about two years - that's a good general rule of thumb). You can also check out some domain names there too - it's a good, all-around source for info. Some of the hosts also offer a free or fully refundable 1st month of hosting. If they don't say one way or the other on their site, you can always ask.

Although I have no personal knowlege of the sites you asked about, here are some reasonably priced ones I have had good experience with (and currently have sites with): 2serveu dot net, sitelutions dot com, and mjzhosting dot net (although MJZ is doing some maintenance right now, Matthew there is a great guy - polite, responsive, and customer-friendly). Of them all, MJZ's prices are best at $16 bux a year for LOTS of goodies with a 500MB space.

Good luck and best wishes in your endeavors!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by She-Bear
    Of them all, MJZ's prices are best at $16 bux a year for LOTS of goodies with a 500MB space.
    MJZ is definitely one of your better bets as far as inexpensive hosting goes. Matthew takes his business seriously.

http://www.mjzhosting.net/
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

You know it does look like he has good hosting cheap, I would not use him for a serious site but for a blog/whatever you can not beat his prices. I have not really even read this thread because of the title but at 4 am decided to take a peak.

So I looked at MJZ hosting, 20 % of the sites were down, 1-5. 4-5 were up with the host service {Host Dectective}. As far as his sites listed, was not doing quite as well, about 40-50% were down. I do not know if this is do to his customer base or actually servers down. She-bear mentioned some server changes.

Overall I would say that Matt definitely has some loyal fans and cheap prices for those on a budget. Hosting under 20 bucks unbelievable!

Myself, I will opt for hosting that costs 5 times more but that I can count on.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nookphase
    So I looked at MJZ hosting, 20 % of the sites were down, 1-5. 4-5 were up with the host service {Host Dectective}. As far as his sites listed, was not doing quite as well, about 40-50% were down. I do not know if this is do to his customer base or actually servers down. She-bear mentioned some server changes.
    Which publicly listed sites that you observed were down? All of my servers are up and running at this time.

If you found a site to be down, there may have been some ulterior reason as to why. DNS changes, outdated feedback reports, etc. But as for servers, all of them are online as we speak. Your crude anecdotal observations may be misleading.

I am very curious as to which sites you are referring to.

EDIT: For example, regarding your Host Detective reference: www.sasoki.com doesn't seem to be working for me either, but said client has long stopped hosting with me. Last I heard from him, he upgraded to a dedicated server. He is no longer affiliated with me or my service other than his past review(s). It was nice of him to leave a positive review, but considering his ties with me are severed, your example in this case is moot.

EDIT #2:Uhh, ok www.sasoki.com (NWS) just loaded for me now lol. Disregard previous example. He's still not hosting with me anymore though!
    Last edited by mmaaaaattt; 05-11-2005 at 06:25 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast