hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Need Cheap but Quality 1 Dollar Hosting
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Need Cheap but Quality 1 Dollar Hosting

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 PM

Need Cheap but Quality 1 Dollar Hosting

Hi guys,

I know that it's been said that cheap hosts suck, but that's what I can afford at this time. $1/month hosting. I'm also planning to buy a domain from myvaluehost.com for $4 a year (that's cheapest I've found).

I'm starting out in online business and can't afford much money to spend, but I also need quality for that very low price. So I'm asking for Your help.

I've gathered few attractive hosts and need Your feedback on them.

1. qualityhostonline.com (have good reviews at: findmyhosting.com)
2. 1dollar-hosting.com
3. zowow.com (offers 100% uptime - don't know if it's possible)
4. 3ix.org (don't know their uptime)

So here they are... One of the most attractive for $1/mo. Could you please tell me if ou had any experience with them, which one I should go for? Or if You know other good ones, also post them here.

My main needs (in priority) are:

1. uptime - 99% or more
2. At least 1 ad-on (planning to host several domains/sites on one account)
3. domain trasfer (planing to trasfer my old domain)
4. data transfer - 2Gb/mo or more
5. Space - 50Mb or more

If you've hosted your sites with any of them or know their uptimes, reputation, please tell me. I don't really care about support, cause I'm not planning to add some scripts, and I think I can handle basic problems myself. Just so the uptime would be really good and other details mentioned above.

Thank you for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you want to spend that much and want quality, then you may not find what you're looking for. You need to spend a bit more than that to get quality.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Re: Need Cheap but Quality 1 Dollar Hosting

Quote:
Originally posted by Drev
I'm starting out in online business and can't afford much money to spend, but I also need quality for that very low price. So I'm asking for Your help.
You can only afford 25 cents per week? you think quality can come from $1. After transaction costs the host only makes 60 cents. After costs the host profits $0.

You think quality comes from $0 profits?

Not sure why you can't afford $1 per month. I would try $10 or more. That way you don't get as much downtime and there is support to assist when you have problems.

The last thing you want is problems and then you lose all your data, your host disappears and you get emails returned from them every 4-5 days.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Disabled

You are starting a "business" but you can't find $5.00 or $7.00 a month for hosting?

I don't think you are ready to be in business. Perhaps you should wait until you are financially able to do it right.

Think about it. If you can't afford the price of a Happy Meal each month for a business expense how are you going to deal with other expenses?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:08 PM

thanx for your opinions. I knew You'll say that...
But f.e. zowow.com offers 100% uptime, others are monitored and offer 99.6+ uptime... qualityhostonline has lots of good reviews... and that's for $1 a month. I had a host earlier. I paid for it $7 a month and my site was many times down. Really not 99.9% as they claimed. And it was reputable and good host as people said.

It's not that I'm cheap, I just can't afford to pay $70 a year. For a start I want some really cheap. And these plans seem to be good... They have more powerful and expensive plans, so I think they make money from those. Some of these companies are operating since 1996 or 1998, I don't think they would bankrupt tomorrow. Maybe they offer those $1 plans for a try-out. If customers are confident with the host, they might choose better plans later or ... Ahh, I don't know...

Maybe someone has had experience with any of these.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Community Liaison

check out freewht.com. folks there give away hosting, so they might be willing to take $1 per month.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Web Hosting Master

Not sure where you got the "Some of these companies are operating since 1996 or 1998", most of the above are new within the last year.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Drev
thanx for your opinions. I knew You'll say that...
But f.e. zowow.com offers 100% uptime, others are monitored and offer 99.6+ uptime... qualityhostonline has lots of good reviews... and that's for $1 a month. I had a host earlier. I paid for it $7 a month and my site was many times down. Really not 99.9% as they claimed. And it was reputable and good host as people said.
Look anyone can offer 100% uptime. The question is do they deliver this uptime. When and how do they reboot their machines?

100% uptime is a scam, unlimited hosting is a scam and $1 hosting is another scam.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

The trouble with some web host offering cheap hosting is that they need to bring in volume to cover cost.

However, setting up a web host business does not straight away guarantees success and it takes a lot of hard work and time to grow the customer based. The customers these days are spoilt for choice and tend to get very demanding asking for the world for a dime. That and the tense competition has caused new entries to compete on prices. Some goes down to extremely very low because they do not have any other competitive edge.

New hosts which are struggling may appear to provide good support and performance for low prices because there is no real number of customers to support in the first place. Once the number comes in, things would get bad.

But the real proof is really in the pudding, in the long term, they would need to come to grips with reality, ie they need to find a way to cover the cost of the server, of support to make a reasonable living to at least cover the opportunity cost and of everything else.

On the other end, because of low cost hosts, they need to pack more customers in the same machine to cover cost, not so much to maximize profits, so that is the necessity and not a luxury. As such, more customers on the same machine would mean a smaller slice of the server for each customer and more customers to support. So that can really be scary.

In the long term, these companies need to probably increase prices to survive or to close. Most take the second option.

The sad thing is that low cost host would mean that a lot niceties are not there or kept to the minimum. So you are just getting something raw.

Go for someone who is established, read the reviews here and be willing to pay something for value.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:08 PM

You're right CactusCounty, I got the wrong numbers.

Ok, so I understand your opinion about these hosts. Guess, I do't have any more arguments...

Probaly gonna save some money and buy little more expensive one. So what do you think about lypha.com or 60host.com ?

Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Devoted Supporter

If you plan on setting up a new business but count with so little income in the first year that $16 is the max you can invest into this year, you might be better off scrapping your business idea and go wash cars for half a day and make more profit than your business would in a year.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

There are many reviews for lypha in this forum, just do a search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM

RambOrc, I'm planning to make much more, but can't imagine how much. I have some money to spend on Google Adwords and Findwhat. But I need hosting first. I haven't done PPC before, so I might get $200 of the $50 investment or get 0. that's wht I need to save money and try not to waste it.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Disabled

Google adwords are no good to you if your site is down because you went to a bargain basement host.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:29 PM

I understand I shouldn't be saving at the expense of hosting.

Ok. thanx guys for help. good luck.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Internet Entrepreneur Simon Hackett Acquires 40 Percent Stake in Australian Cloud Firm UltraServe Web Hosting News 2014-04-30 18:21:55
IBM Cloud Computing Revenue Surpasses $1B in Q3 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-10-18 10:57:34
Free Web Hosting Services Powering Websites in the Developing World Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 10:54:54
CSC Australia Receives $2.76 Million Grant to Develop Cloud, Cybersecurity Centers Web Hosting News 2012-11-16 14:07:28
Ecommerce Platform Magento Emphasizes Quality with New Web Host Partner Program Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:57