Thread: Hosting Storage

Question Hosting Storage

I'm looking for a general consensus here. As far as your hosting operations go, how do you deal with storage? Do you all use some kind of network attached storage? Or do you simply store the web sites on the individual web servers you run? I'm just curious as to what's out there.

Thanks!

Store websites on redundant hard disks, with offsite backups in a separate datacentre.

Would you say that is pretty much the norm for web hosting companies?

Chak,

I would hope so.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Okay. Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Just be sure to ask your prospective hosting provider(s) what their policy is. Just because redundancy and backups are the expectation - it doesn't mean the host actually does it!

Downtime sucks, but downtime with all your web site data and files lost sucks worse.

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

If your data is very important, you can have a RAID setup and then NAS backup, a remote backup and finally a weekly backup on CD-ROMs/DVDs at your home.. That must be sufficient I guess to guarantee 99.99% data protection
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

What I don't get is why people have no backups of their data.

Example: Server goes bang, client calls me up "Hi, umm, server went bang, I've lost my data". My reply? "But you do have a copy of what you uploaded on your PC, don't you?..."

You wouldn't believe how many people don't have copies of what they upload!

I've noticed that quite a bit. What's really bad is when a contracted web designer doesn't even keep copies... eek

Tom

True, its just negligent if the site owner doesn't have a copy of their site files somewhere on their PC. But, the real problem I've seen is that users lose their database data. Almost no one thinks to backup their database data.

Fortunately, we do have RAID and remote rsync backups in place, so we haven't had to deal with data loss in a long time.

But we do get horror stories sent in to our sales@ email account with customer inquiries. Some of the stories are pretty bad. Whenever I read one, it re-reminds me to check my own backups!

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.