Thread: This is Good!

Smile This is Good!

Author: Unknown

The story is told of a king in Africa who had a close friend with whom he grew up. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life (positive or negative) and remarking,
    "This is good!"

One day the king and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the king. The friend had apparently done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the king fired it and his thumb was blown off.

Examining the situation the friend remarked as usual,
    "This is good!"

To which the king replied,
    "No, this is NOT good!"
    and proceeded to send his friend to jail.

About a year later, the king was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. Cannibals captured him and took them to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake. As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the king was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. So untying the king, they sent him on his way.

As he returned home, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend.

He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend.
    "You were right," he said, "it was good that my thumb was blown off."

And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened.
    "And so I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long." "It was bad for me to do this."

"No,"[/B] his friend replied, "This is good!"

"What do you mean, 'This is good'? How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a year?"

"If I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you."

Situations may not always seem pleasant while we are in them, but the promise of God is clear. If we love Him and live our lives according to His precepts, even that which seems to be bleak and hopeless will be turned by God for His glory and our benefit. Hold on, God is faithful! May God bless you this week as you seek His will in every situation.

I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

You're right, that is good!
    James Lumby

Good indeed

Thanx MAN!!!!
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I'm going to keep that one in my hip pocket for an ice breaker when speaking someday.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Very Good!!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Thanks for the sermon D1esel, but I'm sure you won't mind if I continue to disbelieve.
    Web Hosting since 1999

Hold on, hold on...

"The story is told of a king in Africa..."

Are you going to offer me 20% of 14 billion American dollars now?
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

"Yes this is good"

Now can you explain how you made this emormpius jump from giving an example of "positive thinking" to a religious sermon. Yes there story tell us to find the positive and to beleive in ourselves..

There's a silver lining in every cloud.

Now where was there any evidence of a religous intervention in the story.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    "Yes this is good"

Now can you explain how you made this emormpius jump from giving an example of "positive thinking" to a religious sermon. Yes there story tell us to find the positive and to beleive in ourselves..

Doc
    I see it. But I also believe it.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Sorry folks my post should of had the word enormous, how on earth it ended up as that stupid mess of letter I will never know.

*The Lord works in mysterious ways.*

Doc
    never could understand why we can edit our post I mean it has only been 2 or 3 hours.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    "Yes this is good"

Doc
    I guess for story purposes it requires some kind of magical miracle power to predict a good outcome being caused by what looks like a bad event. In real life there are plenty of examples in hindsight of something that looked good at first turning out badly and what looked bad turning out well. Predicting this in advance is another thing. After having a finger shot off or being sent to prison, saying "This is bad" has a higher rate of accuracy.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I guess for story purposes it requires some kind of magical miracle power to predict a good outcome being caused by what looks like a bad event. In real life there are plenty of examples in hindsight of something that looked good at first turning out badly and what looked bad turning out well. Predicting this in advance is another thing. After having a finger shot off or being sent to prison, saying "This is bad" has a higher rate of accuracy.
    Yes I agree with your statement, however I still fail to make a connection between this and religion. Surely this is simply being positive in your thinking. A pessimist looks for the negative in everything. An optimist looks for the positive in everything. When all is said and done positive and negative are all VERY much subjective.

*A Pessimist is a better informed Optimist*

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I think it takes some magical thinking to be optimistic that bad will turn into good by unforeseeable series of events. Sure it happens, but most of the time bad is bad. You can adapt and work from there, usually, but it's still harder. Saying "This is good" requires faith that your optimism will be rewarded in a way that is highly improbable in an impersonal universe. Sure optimism can be self-fulfilling if it motivates you to do what's helpful in an otherwise discouraging situation, but in this story the events that turned bad to good were outside of that kind of personal control.

indeed, well done, indeed
    .-=={[(' Sitedesigner ')]}==-.

~Entrepreneur at heart~ Pm me.