Should I go to VPS?

My site is currently on the Hostcentric Shared Ecommerce 101 plan. We thought it was a pretty good deal, however recently we have been experiencnig a lot of downtime. The support staff gets the website back up shortly after I notice that it is down, but it has been happening almost every day for the last week or so.

I have requested a server migration, but will probably be switching to a different host. Can anyone recommend a host with great uptime and speed? I am not that worried about the cheapest price....I just want to get what I pay for.

Hostcentric has us on a 2 processor P3 (1266 Mhz), and is running Red Hat Linux, 7.2. We pay $40 per month. We do about a GB in data transfer per day.

Hostcentric allows us to work at the command line. I am unsure exactly what to expect from a VPS, in terms of attention needed from an IT staff member. Will PowerVPS help with any type of issues, or would be completely on our own? We do have a good amount of technical knowledge, but have never run our own webserver.

Do you think we should move to a VPS?

Thank you.

I would suggest to consider going for managed VPS. And yes, the basic plan of PowerVPS would absolutely do your job. Your requirements are quite low and going with a VPS will leave you much room to grow as well. For the price you currently pay, you can get the basic plan of PowerVPS and see your website grow by 200% before you consider switching.

There are also other high-quality VPS providers but I only have experience with PowerVPS.

Re: Should I go to VPS?

Originally posted by massmedia
    Can anyone recommend a host with great uptime and speed? I am not that worried about the cheapest price....I just want to get what I pay for.

Do you think we should move to a VPS?

If you are prepared to learn a little as you go along and run a few months in parrallel then yes, more control and better resources and you have one less layer to stuff up your reliability, its far less likely that someone on the same box will take down the box (and the hardware may well be a better grade as servints vps host machines are built to the hilt). Its not going to be a zero effort exercise, but if you give yourself a little time and read up and get the noc to help you (which servints will) then youll do fine and be able to offer a great service and probably reduce your prices.

Silicon Valley
    VPS is recommended, assuming that you are prepared to sit down and learn the control panel. Since you already know how to use SSH, I dont imagine this will be too hard

Your current site uses up about 30 gigs a month, and yet your paying so high! I would suggest moving

With a VPS/VDS, you will have guaranteed minimal RAM and probably better uptime, but less space and BW than with a shared account. And all server hardening will most probably be your responsibility.

On the other hand, the performance of a VPS is lower (in times) than the numbers of an average dedi.

My advice is to go for a dedi and start up an independent CMS project with Google Adsense that will give you the additional 50 dollars.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

The majority of VPS providers will have no issue with helping you learn some of the 'curve' but they will expect you to put effort into the learning as well.

At thirty gigs I don't think your site is large enough to warrant a VPS but it might be the best route (and you'll learn a lot in the process), give it a shot!
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.