Question How to double internet speed with 2 modems in windows

Hi,

I have 2 modems attached to single computer. Both have separate phone line. My questions, how to i make windows xp professional use both modems at same time ? The problem is when I connect both modems at same time, it uses only 1 and do not use both the modems at same time.

I have following settings enabled as suggested on some web site on internet
    Dialup connection properties > networking > type of dialup server i am calling > settings button
    under this dialog i have all three options checked
    1) enable lcp extensions(checked)
    2) enable software compression (checked)
    3) negotiate multi-link for single link connections (checked)

then also windows is not using both the modems and is only using single modem for internet connection.

Any suggestions on how to use both modems at same time and double connection speed ?

thanks.
    * `*:. .:*` * ~ X-Max ~ * `*:. .:*` *
    I love Wikipedia.

I don't think that's even possible; you would need a router in front of the PC, which then connects to both individual lines. But you'll pay a serious price for that...

Originally posted by possiblyforsale
    I don't think that's even possible; you would need a router in front of the PC, which then connects to both individual lines. But you'll pay a serious price for that...
    I remember going to a Microsoft convention when Windows 98SE 9I think) was released and they expleined to CAN use to Modems, which wasa big deal at the time because ADSL hadn't been released, Only trouble is that I can't remember how it was done. I am not sure whether they upgrade the feature into XP or dropped it.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Want faster access?
    Try Multi-Link

Learn how to speed up your Internet dial-up connection with a second phone line and a second modem.

The first thing that you need in order to be able to take advantage of MultiLink is an ISP that supports the MultiLink PPP technology. Cybernet offers this service at no extra charge.

The second thing you need to use MultiLink is the software. If you're running Windows 98, ME or 2000, you're all set as far as software goes because MultiLink comes with the operating system. If you're running Windows 95, you need to download and install the Dial Up Networking 1.3 Performance & Security Update. This includes the MultiLink software.

The next thing you need is two modems. You can use two different speed modems, but this limits the speed to that of the slower modem, using two of the same speed will yield more satisfactory results. You can use any combination of internal and external modems. You will need two separate phone lines, one phone line for each modem.
    About Multilink

MultiLink allows you to use two separate modems as if they were a single modem. The MultiLink software configures your modems to collaborate in such a way that your connection speed is doubled. For example, if you have two 56K modems you'll essentially get a connection speed of 112K.

In order to attain this type of speed, MultiLink intercepts data packets heading for the Internet, splits them in two, and sends each half of the packet to a separate modem. Each modem then sends a half packet to the ISP. When the half packets reach the ISP, the server software reassembles the original data packet and sends it out to the Internet. On the return trip, a data packet heading from the Internet to your computer is intercepted by your ISP's server, which then splits it in two, and then sends a half-packet back to each of your modems. The end result of this is that your connection can handle Internet data in half the time. This then equates to doubling your modem speed.

Note: As you may know, current CRTC regulations limit a 56K modem's connection speed to 53 Kbps. Furthermore, a speed of 53 Kbps is only possible if there is just one analog switch between your modem and the phone company. If your connection goes through more than one analog switch, which is very likely, your modem's data transfer rate drops. As such, most people using a 56K modem typically get a connection somewhere between 45 Kbps and 50 Kbps. This means that combining two 56K modems with MultiLink will yield a connection speed of somewhere between 90 Kbps and 100 Kbps.

Full Story http://www.cybernetcom.ca/help/multilink.html

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

The Doctor,

I think his problem is that he can't get Windows XP to uses two modems at the same time. Even if he can though it sounds like his ISP would not allow him to have two simultaneous connections.

X-max - am I safe in assuming that you cannot get DSL or cable internet where you are? Seems like you could save the cost of a phone line and with DSL on a single line it would be a wash. You also would not be tying up all your phone lines.

Assuming you've already considered that, I am nearly positive that Windows XP allows multiple dialups at the same time. Go into the connection properties for each separate connection and ensure that a separate modem is selected for each internet connection. In other words, set up two different dial-up connections and have one modem as the device for the first dial-up and the other for the second.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Try merging the connections