* Looking for a Web Host

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, mods please move if needed.

I was looking for a reputeable web host which could offer me the following:

20 MB space
    15 GB Bandwith
    MySQL Database(s)
    PHP
    Latest version of Cpanel
    phpMyAdmin integrated into Cpanel like my current host

I would like it if I have the ability to pay by PayPal but it's not neccesary.

I would also be looking to spend around $3-5/month for this with no setup fees and no contracts.

My current host can provide the above for $3 a month but sadly they arent responding to IM's or email in over 2 weeks so I'm a little worried about setting up a new account with them.

I would really like it if you could direct me to a reputable host which has been around for a while and has really good feedback. Sadly, I felt like I should mention I don't want a host that would be snooping around looking at my files and thats why I'd want a bigger hosting company this time.

Like the saying goes, "you pay for what you get". If it's possible I'd recommend raising your budget a touch and then you'll open yourself up to a number of solid hosts that can fill your needs. Good luck with your search!
    Brandon L
    *DedicatedSpace.com - JaguarPC.com
    * Quality web hosting since '98
    Call 800-558-5869 or Email [email protected]

My current host can provide the above for $3 a month but sadly they arent responding to IM's or email in over 2 weeks so I'm a little worried about setting up a new account with them
    They probably have 100's of customers, but can't afford to hire staff with the $3's...
    I'm not being sarcastic, but if you wait a few more days there will be lots of new hosts that will be able to offer what you want for even less than $3. Be careful though, they may stop responding to your emails when schools open again.

Listen to what BrandonJPC said, and hopefully you'll find a decent host

http://mher.org
    http://www.xenhosting.com
    these hosts are at your stated price, i don't know nothing about their support or other info (but i bet i'm gonna find out), but you could search, contact them, etc
    Keep us notified
    Got Fused?

Most any host could do actually...

But I'm just wondering on 1 thing. What do you mean you host is snooping around looking at your files and etc? If you're worried that your host would be looking at your files, well... most hosts does look at your files or the contents once in a while just to make sure that you're not having a download farm or not having something illegal on the server or etc.

We're still doing this till this day but I can tell you for a fact that we do not open the contents of the file nor do we look at whatever you're doing. We just make sure that there's nothing like 500MB of downloadable files (.zip and .exe) files laying around and that there's no WAREZ or any other illegal stuff on the server. It's actually to protect us and yourself so that there won't be any problems with the law.

Privacy is 1 but storing illegal programs and warez is another.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Argh I see your point guys. How about $5-10 a month? Any big companies offer what I want for that and dont suspend an account if you get more than 5 GB bandwith(like lunarpages)?
    Last edited by Nivorous; 05-09-2005 at 03:36 AM.

Pretty much any reasonable company will provide what you asked for 5-10 bucks.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

In your price range, I have recently subscribed with (and been very happy so far with the service) http://www.connectyourweb.com/ http://phlint.com/ http://www.hostcolor.com/ http://perfecthost.net/ http://www.3ix.org/ and http://www.atomic-hosting.net/ (listed approximately in my order of preference)

I've been very happy with ***********, for the second price range you mentioned. Frankly, I would not risk a "work" site on a host that is only charging $3 per month.

Nivorous,

I believe as a few have previously stated - every host is going to 'snoop' through your files to some degree to make sure they're not being used as a warez drop, etc.

I would hunt around - there are a lot of quality providers available for any price range, that said don't go in expecting a rolls royce at a few dollars but that doesn't mean you should expect the worst.

There are budget providers who have existed for quite some time and seem to do a decent job.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hmm i used free hosting package of hostrocket.com for some time and I find it really cool.

Nivorous,

FYI, Lunarpages does not suspend anyone for using up any bandwidth. Matter of fact. I think Lunarpages is one of the hosts out there that are very honest about their bw usage. You should read other hosts terms of service. You'll be shocked.
    I like to help

Re: Looking for a Web Host

Originally posted by Nivorous
    I was looking for a reputeable web host which could offer me the following:

20 MB space
    15 GB Bandwith

MySQL Database(s)
    PHP
    Latest version of Cpanel
    phpMyAdmin integrated into Cpanel like my current host
    I'm just wondering about the required specs:
    15 GB download, but only 20MB space

Just about any host can deliver what you are looking for. If they promise you more than 5G then there should be no reason for them to suspend your account. Actually, auto account suspension is not a good idea. It is always best to contact the customer when they are going above the quota and see what they like to do.

Alright thanks guys, can someone reccomend a quality web host that has been around for a while that can accomodate what I need for about $5 a month?

I've got a few PM's and I'm interested in a few of them but I would like to know about more bigger hosts.

Is there a service such as HostSpot.com that I can use that isn't biased towards web hosts because of affiliation?

If they promise you more than 5G then there should be no reason for them to suspend your account.
    Except for resources abuse you mean...

I've got a few PM's and I'm interested in a few of them but I would like to know about more bigger hosts.
    If any of those PMs were hosting offers sent to you by various hosts in relation to this thread, I highly suggest you disregard them and let me know who they are, as their actions would be against the forum rules. Thank you.

I deleted the PM's. :/

But could someone help me out? I still dont know where to turn.. and hostspot doesnt let you choose a price range and there hosting sites seem biased to them.

Hi Nivorous,

$5 per month and bigger host do not mix. Also bigger host does not always compare to a quality of customer service. There are many big host that have bad reviews because they don't have time to service their customers.

I would recommend $7 to $12 per month for a decent host provider.
    TierHost
    Professional Web Hosting Services
    www.tierhost.com