Managed switch with MRTG

We are running a unmanaged switch right now and want to have MRTG would the below switch work?

ProSafe™ 24 Port 10/100 L2 Managed Stackable Switch with 2 Gigabit ports
    Model FSM726S

any comments?
    • Max Wilson •

The specs indicate it runs SNMP, which is the only thing neccessary for MRTG type tools to work on it. But do you really want a netgear?
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    The specs indicate it runs SNMP, which is the only thing neccessary for MRTG type tools to work on it. But do you really want a netgear?
    well thats why im posting, we want to stay in the <$450 market.
    What other brand would you sugest? we are running about 8 servers.

What is wrong with netgear?
    • Max Wilson •

I'd take a look at the Cisco 2924 or 2950, they are great switches, and you can get one for a great price of ebay. As for Netgear, I'd stay away from them if you possible.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    • 24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Originally posted by crucialx
    I'd take a look at the Cisco 2924 or 2950, they are great switches, and you can get one for a great price of ebay. As for Netgear, I'd stay away from them if you possible.
    And why would you do that. If it's an unmanaged switch then why do you care if it's netgear or not?

Ross, did you read the original post? He has an unmanaged now, and he is looking for a managed one so he can get SNMP.

Web Hosting
    • 24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Originally posted by crucialx
    Ross, did you read the original post? He has an unmanaged now, and he is looking for a managed one so he can get SNMP.
    Correct however it sounded like you were saying netgear's were bad peroid.

It looks like their is more then one 2950 2924 model what one would i need?

Just wondering but whats so bad about the netgear managed switches?

Anything will be better then what i have running now wich is a HP switch that is pretty old.
    • Max Wilson •

9. SNMP is pretty standard when you get into managed-switch-land, what I would definitely recommend is contacting your provider's engineering group and asking them what brand THEY use, pumping them for information on switches they have seen issues with/work perfectly, and scouring the web for interaction problems between the switch you want and the switch they have.

The company I work for uses Cisco Catalyst 6509's for our datacenter connections and I have seen plenty of issues with autonegotiate, so I don't recommend any switch that does not allow the manual setting of speed/duplex to any customers who ask my advice.

Some customers increment errors on their line on a constant basis (Usually when connected directly to an outdated NIC card or to an unmanaged switch/hub that will only autonegotiate) yet are still content due to the fact that they do not do heavy amounts of bandwidth. In that situation cheap is obviously best.

The 2950 comes with 2 x 1gbit uplinks, while the 2924 doesn't. Depending on what sort of traffic you are doing on the switch, are 2924 will probably work well.
    Web Hosting

What do you think of this?

http://hotbrick.com/produto.asp?tipo=2&codPro=5

We are trying to keep it $300 or less, and prefer to buy new i have had a bad ebay experience with computer/networking stuff.

Im runing one of thier VPN firewalls at home and it really is great.
    • Max Wilson •

I think you can get a hp for that price, and lately, hp makes nice switches. For an 8 server environment a 2524 will be just great.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

Seconded on the HPs, we use 2626 and 2650 for customer access switches, work very well in a Layer2 environment.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I got a Cisco 2924 XL-EN from my work still in the box for 300.00, They still havnt charged me for it though :|. But its got 22 10/100 ports and 2 100 Mbit Fiber Ports. I'm going to attempt to setup a MRTG some time today.
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• Film Production •••

Re: Managed switch with MRTG

Originally posted by WebDogPro
    We are running a unmanaged switch right now and want to have MRTG would the below switch work?

Model FSM726S

any comments?
    That's a NetGear, isn't it?

I wouldn't go with them, I've had the worst experiences with NetGear products. They simply don't last very long. Don't be surprised if one day out of the blue the switch simply doesn't power on (happened to me several times w/ NetGear, never w/ any other switch manufacturer)
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

If you do not mind used equipment, you can give Intel switches or 3Com switches a shot. We have had excellent results with them in the past.