Wink Billing System - What do YOU want to see?

Hi,

I am considering designing a new billing system. I was wondering what YOU would expect/want from a billing system. Feel free to post ideas here or PM me. All ideas are welcome. (Within reason ).

I look forward to your replys.

Thanks,
    Adam

I would like my billing system to make me coffee every morning when i start to work

directi plugin, enom plugin, 3rd party payment plugin such paypal, 2co etc, multi currencies & languages, easy to navigate & setup, built in helpdesk/trouble tickets, monthly - yearly billing option....mmm..more coming soon, I have to think about it.

Sorry forgot the bigest thing:hosting control panel plugin such cpanel, directadmin etc

also low cost price
    Last edited by l0ck_up; 05-09-2005 at 11:18 PM.

Cron jobs possibly can handle the making coffee everymorning

All of the above ( including coffee ) plus the ability for the user to go in and change their info , and store their welcome email for reference and resend.
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Why reinvent the wheel? Modernbill already has all the functionality of what the people in this thread want... Except maybe a few plugins.

I betcha ClientExec has everything they need too... And these pieces of software cost because they spend alot, and when I say alot, I mean alot of time on development and testing.

You *cannot* release a insecure billing system to clients. Because if it is hacked, and credit card information gained. Well, VISA/MC/etc might just pull your merchant numbers.

While I am sure your intentions are honorable, do you:
    1) Have the skills to make this a secure app?
    2) Have the time/manpower to make this a secure app?
    3) Have the attitude to make yourself sit down everyday for 5 hours and work on this app?
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Originally posted by Sheps
    Why reinvent the wheel? Modernbill already has all the functionality of what the people in this thread want... Except maybe a few plugins.

I betcha ClientExec has everything they need too... And these pieces of software cost because they spend alot, and when I say alot, I mean alot of time on development and testing.
    Why shouldn't I? Some feel ModernBill is too bulky and not for them, same goes for ClientExec, some feel that is not enough for them.

I also feel these systems lack in some areas. Our aim is to offer all the things current billing systems offer but also fill in the gaps where they missed and build on that. For example we plan to offer 100% synchronization with most popular control panels, dedicated server management, domain management with most popular domain resellers, 3rd party payment system support etc

While MB and CE etc may have these features they are very basic, our plan is to offer complete control from the billing system. While I know that won't be easy and realise that it will take a long time, and those features won't be available for a v1 release, it is our goal to eventually reach this stage.

You *cannot* release a insecure billing system to clients. Because if it is hacked, and credit card information gained. Well, VISA/MC/etc might just pull your merchant numbers.
    I am fully aware of the importance of security in a billing system. I have designed it so far based on the whole idea of security. I would also like to mention that I have been testing this since November.

I have also tried to use applications such as IntelliTamper etc to try to gain access to the application. So far it has stood up to all tests done on it. I am pretty sure that this application is as secure as any other billing system and will continue to get more secure as development goes on.

While I am sure your intentions are honorable, do you:
    1) Have the skills to make this a secure app?
    2) Have the time/manpower to make this a secure app?
    3) Have the attitude to make yourself sit down everyday for 5 hours and work on this app?
    In answer to your questions.

1) I believe I do, yes. I have over 7+ years of programming experience with PHP/HTML/C and a few other simpler languages.

2) I currently have alot of time to spend on ensuring this is a secure app. I am currently unemployed and have been devoting most of my days into working on this. I also have many other people who help out on designing this application.

3) Again I believe I do, I have been sitting down everyday for over 5 hours working on this for months, sometimes into the early hours of the morning.

Note: As I stated in some of my comments above, this system is already 90% complete. I *should* of worded my original post differently. This posts purpose is to gather some ideas for final feature adding before a v1 release.

Thanks,
    Adam

Why reinvent the wheel? to make a better wheel ... its the human drive to do and be better

Adam is there a website that I can go to to see the progress of your script?
    Former WHT Moderator

I dont think he is re-inventing the wheel, he is building a car. There are so many car builders around. So many different brands, plants building different cars and they do make new models every year to make them better, more improved etc.... so thats what Adam is doing here, that how I see it......will it worth for it or will it be successful? I really have no idea about it but it is fine with me, and I hope he can sucess.

Laci, even though you have touched into some valid points, there is no need to discourage Adam.

And lastly; while AWBS is not pronounced in this thread. Im not using any billing software in a production envoirment but as far as I can see, AWBS seems to be better than Modernbill and others...

Originally posted by hgurol
    I dont think he is re-inventing the wheel, he is building a car. There are so many car builders around. So many different brands, plants building different cars and they do make new models every year to make them better, more improved etc.... so thats what Adam is doing here, that how I see it......will it worth for it or will it be successful? I really have no idea about it but it is fine with me, and I hope he can sucess.

Laci, even though you have touched into some valid points, there is no need to discourage Adam.

And lastly; while AWBS is not pronounced in this thread. Im not using any billing software in a production envoirment but as far as I can see, AWBS seems to be better than Modernbill and others...
    Hello?? I wasn't discouraging him ...please re-read it
    Former WHT Moderator

Adam I'm waiting for your software, and glad to test it .

Originally posted by l0ck_up
    Adam I'm waiting for your software, and glad to test it .
    I'm aiming for a release this weekend. Currently no show stoppers. I'll post information on where to find it etc closer to the time. .

Adam

I tried both Modernbill and Clientexec. They couldn.t do me coffee in the morning
    So they are not good enough

Why shouldn't I? Some feel ModernBill is too bulky and not for them, same goes for ClientExec, some feel that is not enough for them.
    Did you not answer your own question?

Will your system be slimmer to accommodate the people who feel MB is too bulky or will your system be bulkier to for those that feel it isn't

Please aslo consider the multitude of other billing solutions out there that are not as bulky as MB and those that are.

Good luck on your quest because what I want to see 100's of others wont and what others want to see I won't, billing software is probably the most individual of all systems a host will use.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Originally posted by Goldwing
    Did you not answer your own question?

Will your system be slimmer to accommodate the people who feel MB is too bulky or will your system be bulkier to for those that feel it isn't
    It is my aim to try to hit both these areas. I intend to use optional addons/modules, so that people who want a bulky system may do so by installing the addons and those that don't simply don't install the addons.

Please aslo consider the multitude of other billing solutions out there that are not as bulky as MB and those that are.
    I understand that there are many other billing systems out there but again there are very specific to the users needs. Again this relates to the addons/modules I plan to implement, it gives the users control of over how THEY want it to work, giving more choice and making the system alot more flexible to users needs.

Good luck on your quest because what I want to see 100's of others wont and what others want to see I won't, billing software is probably the most individual of all systems a host will use.
    Again I understand that the billing system is very unique for specific hosts. Which again what inspired me to use the addons/modules system. What you want to see you could add and what you don't want to see you could remove. It allows the users to change the system to be specific for their exact needs, which is after all the overall goal, to have a system that hit's everyone’s needs.

Obviously I understand that this won't be easy and will take a fair amount of time to achieve. I also realise that thousands of addons and 100% addon compatibility won't be there for a v1 release. But eventually it will be implemented and the amount of addons will increase as time goes on.

Thanks,
    Adam

Well okay the problem is most of the software in the market is not customizable for different purposes. Not every host runs their business the same way. Some like to automate everything some like to put that personal touch wherever possible. Create a product which will let users to create their own functions. From ordering to billing. A Hosting is not all about providing web space or selling domains. There is too many aspects of hosting business. You have to give your software the flexibility achive this.
    in cwispy.net we have 2 projects running . The both script is trying to achive generalised package craetion for any purpose. But it isn't that easy still we couldn't get our script do coffee for us ;-)

looking foward to checking this out

Originally posted by quicklyweb
    But it isn't that easy still we couldn't get our script do coffee for us ;-)
    Technically, if you are near the machine and somehow found a coffee making machine that plugs into a computer THEN find drivers for it, you could write a script for the system to automatically start the coffee maker at a cirtain time using crons.

Or you could just start hacking the coffee maker to bits to make one to plug into the computer if you can't find a coffee maker with a USB or something..

But I admit there is no EASY way to do it. But it IS possible.

Adam

You know, a lot of modern coffeemakers actually have this automated brewing function. It's controlled by something called a timer. Maybe those of you requesting this should check it out.

Originally posted by ReasonSinger
    You know, a lot of modern coffeemakers actually have this automated brewing function. It's controlled by something called a timer. Maybe those of you requesting this should check it out.

I want one that will grow the beans , harvest them , process them , grind them put them into a filter and then make the coffee

I dont know why I want this because I dont like coffee but I do
    Former WHT Moderator

Originally posted by Laci
    I want one that will grow the beans , harvest them , process them , grind them put them into a filter and then make the coffee

I dont know why I want this because I dont like coffee but I do
    You are single, aren't you?