PocketPC Messaging Clients

I'm looking for a Trillianish program for PocketPC 2003 that will let you connect to multiple IM networks (especially AIM), and not kick you off of your other AIM installations - The old version of AIM that I have for my PocketPC will kick my screenname off of other locations that it is signed on, and I can't have that.

Thanks!

I use Agile Messenger: http://www.agilemobile.com/

I use it on my Dell Axim X30. Works great! Not sure if it kicks me off other AIM installations..

Originally posted by Rob83
    I use Agile Messenger: http://www.agilemobile.com/

I use it on my Dell Axim X30. Works great! Not sure if it kicks me off other AIM installations..
    Sorry to go OT: but Rob83, does your Dell Axim X30 need to stay fully charged all the time to store the data on it? I think I have to return mine to Dell as I left my Axim X30 uncharged (battery completely drained) for 5 days or so, and when I went to turn it back on after charging, everything was reset again. All my installed programs and synced data was gone. I think the internal battery is dead or something...

Also, does battery backup mean that I can remove the current lithium battery while it's on, and replace it with another (and keep the unit powered on the entire time)? Thanks!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Originally posted by Nich
    Sorry to go OT: but Rob83, does your Dell Axim X30 need to stay fully charged all the time to store the data on it? I think I have to return mine to Dell as I left my Axim X30 uncharged (battery completely drained) for 5 days or so, and when I went to turn it back on after charging, everything was reset again. All my installed programs and synced data was gone. I think the internal battery is dead or something...

Also, does battery backup mean that I can remove the current lithium battery while it's on, and replace it with another (and keep the unit powered on the entire time)? Thanks!
    It is funny you mention this because I have a X50 and I must have left it on about two weeks ago the last time I used it and I went today to use it and like you said everything was gone.

Originally posted by OKI-Paul
    It is funny you mention this because I have a X50 and I must have left it on about two weeks ago the last time I used it and I went today to use it and like you said everything was gone.
    I really hope that it's not an Axim-wide thing to keep it charged all the time. I was actually thinking about purchasing an Axim x50v to replace this x30 thinking because it's newer, maybe it addressed some problem.

I spent hours installing programs that I purchased on it, and configuring my different Wifi WEP keys that I connect to, etc. It's really a pain to have to setup everything again.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

*double post* Sorry
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

I have an X50 and you need to keep it charged. Backup battery only lasts about 30 minutes and is only there to keep your data from being deleted when you swap batteries.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

The backup battery will only last 30 minutes once your main battery drains out. So yea, it will reset after 30 minutes. You should always backup your data to a SD Card and do a backup of your dell via the ActiveSync, so you can easily restore it back to how it was before the battery drained.

Also just to note this is not just a Dell Axim "problem". The same thing happens on the Ipaqs as well, and I expect the same for almost all PDAs.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    Also just to note this is not just a Dell Axim "problem". The same thing happens on the Ipaqs as well, and I expect the same for almost all PDAs.
    Exactly. The only solution is to put hard drives into PDA's

I really hope that it's not an Axim-wide thing to keep it charged all the time. I was actually thinking about purchasing an Axim x50v to replace this x30 thinking because it's newer, maybe it addressed some problem.

I spent hours installing programs that I purchased on it, and configuring my different Wifi WEP keys that I connect to, etc. It's really a pain to have to setup everything again.
    I'm pretty sure thats a PDA/pocket pc wide thing. Most of them have ram not a disk on them which works the same was as ram in your pc, when you lose power, everything is gone that was in it. you should store important stuff on an external card (flash, smart media, secure digital, etc,) to avoid losing data with battery loss
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

I left my old Axim X3 with a dead battery when I stopped using it, and it erased everything as well. I'm going to start using the ActiveSync backup with my X30 to make sure that my data is saved.

I tried the program from Agile Mobile, but when my screenname was signed on at another location, Agile would not receive any IMs - It could still send them, however. I may just end up using another screenname on my Pocket PC with the Agile software, however.

Originally posted by Teh_Winnar
    I'm pretty sure thats a PDA/pocket pc wide thing. Most of them have ram not a disk on them which works the same was as ram in your pc, when you lose power, everything is gone that was in it. you should store important stuff on an external card (flash, smart media, secure digital, etc,) to avoid losing data with battery loss
    I see... the Axim X30 was actually my first PocketPC and I didn't know exactly what to expect--and I certainly didn't know that if I left it uncharged, it would wipe everything.

So, what are the proper methods/tips? Besides keeping the PDA in the cradle all the time, what if I go on a week-long business trip and don't bring the charger with me--am I SOL? I guess I would be.

I'll look into replacing my 256MB SD card with a 1GB then. I wish I could save my settings (like wifi network connections, profiles, e-mail settings, etc.) on my SD card, is this possible?
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

I'll look into replacing my 256MB SD card with a 1GB then. I wish I could save my settings (like wifi network connections, profiles, e-mail settings, etc.) on my SD card, is this possible?
    If you use the backup program on the Axim, I think you can backup all data and settings to your SD card, but I'm not sure.

My PocketPC - The Audiovox XV6600 has a backup battery that will store data for up to 72 hours, supposedly. I have never yet the battery go completely dead, but the main battery did disconnect for a few minutes accidentally the other day, and I didn't lose any data.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

If you do a full backup on the Axim, not just one for contact and calender info, then all your program installations and settings will be saved with it.

If you're planning to travel with the PDA, I'd recommend getting a travel charger and a second battery.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com