Someone got my fathers domain name....

*edit* Never mind if a mod can remove it. Thank you
    Last edited by Torith; 05-08-2005 at 08:42 PM.

If they have expired and gone out of registrar lock, I'm afraid there probably isn't much you can do. I'm not familiar with the laws surrounding domain names, but it may be worth talking to a lawyer. I hope it works out for him. Good Luck!
    Hendrick Networks - Technical, Security and Connectivity Solutions Built on T.R.U.S.T

Originally posted by hendricknet
    If they have expired and gone out of registrar lock, I'm afraid there probably isn't much you can do. I'm not familiar with the laws surrounding domain names, but it may be worth talking to a lawyer. I hope it works out for him. Good Luck!
    Mods please do not delete thread since now it is more open then I thought.

Ok the domain name was registered 15 Apr 2004 12:52:23, and it expired on 15 Apr 2005 12:52:23. I guess I forgot to tell my dad or my dad forgot to pay again (since a year is a long time away).

I put fake information on the domain so that my father can change it and put his information on the domain since I did not know what he wanted to put on it, and he seem like he wanted to do most of it. Well the domain name expired, and someone registered it until 2006.

My father has been in business for 40 years, and have used this name for 20 years or so. The name is not trademarked, but even if a domain name is not trademarked it should not be able just used.

When you go to the link it shows this page, and then says why you seeing this page and you click on the link and it says "Inquiring about the domain 'baumbachsigns.com', with status: Registered"

email address [email protected] <[email protected]> which leads to eNom.com. Now my father said he contacted the email address, and they are asking for a whole bunch of money. (He was very pissed when I got home).

So now is this even legal? They registered the .com , .net and .info of the domain name.

What happens if my father trademarks the domain name? Do they even have any right to use the domain name in the first place???

I will be contacting the lawyer tomorrow, but I would like some insight on what other people have done when this has happen to them.

Thank You

Originally posted by Torith

I put fake information on the domain so that my father can change it and put his information on the domain since I did not know what he wanted to put on it, and he seem like he wanted to do most of it.
    Big mistake, you can lose your name by having false whois info
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    Big mistake, you can lose your name by having false whois info
    Yes I know that can happen, but did not think it still would be the same now . I would figure he would of changed it after I got it for him. Though I guess he forgot to.

Any tips?

15 april wasnt very long ago.

that looks like enom's generic page.

"a lot of money " is relative. you might have to pay a penalty for late renewal, but call enom and renew it. ! if you had it in your domain account somewhere, just login and renew it.

I babysit a good friends business domain. all the info is his except the email addresses. those are mine, so the registrar can contact someone who knows what's going on.
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 05-08-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Ok the domain name was registered 15 Apr 2004 12:52:23, and it expired on 15 Apr 2005 12:52:23.
    Yes, the domain is very likely still in registrar's OWN grace period (less than 30 days after expiry). And even if it is not, it is almost DEFINITELY within ICANN's RGP (Redemption Grace Period) which lasts for 30 calendar days. True, you may need to pay a bit more (up to approx. $200 or so, which includes both registry and registrar's legitimate recovering fees), but once it's actually deleted from the registry, I doubt you will be able to get it back that "cheap". Good luck.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Ok the domain name was registered 15 Apr 2004 12:52:23, and it expired on 15 Apr 2005 12:52:23. I guess I forgot to tell my dad or my dad forgot to pay again (since a year is a long time away).

Based on that, it sounds like the domain might still be under the
    name of your dad, only it's expired and possibly still within the 1-
    45 day grace period many registrars offer. Contact the registrar
    and see if you can still renew it using their standard price.

When a domain has expired, the registry of that domain name will
    autorenew it for one year and charge its sponsoring registrar. The
    registrar must then secure renewal payment between 1-45 days
    or tell the Registry to delete it, then they'll get refunded by the
    Registry.

If the registrar tells you it's in redemption period, then you'll have
    to pay the "penalty fee" if you want them to get it back as long as
    the domain's within the 30-day redemption.

And if you're thinking of waiting for it to become available just
    because you don't want to renew using the registrar's price, don't
    do it.