Server load changes really fast

Hi,

My server load is currently 2.80 (4 cpus) and a minute age it was 14. Is that normal? Is there something I should pay attention to?

Hi,

This is something you should pay attention to for sure. Are you using CPanel/WHM? You may want to login to SSH - run 'top' and post the output here. Also, post your specs.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

This depends a lot on your level of hardware and what your system is used for. Do as 'elix' said and run "top" while your system is highly loaded... this way you can see what is occupying your system.
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

Hi,

Yeah, top will be helpful in determining the cause of load also it will be helpful if you could check the server status options in your cpanel/whm. Monitoring the apache stats and mysql stats will help you with confirming the exact cause for the trouble.

I hope this helps.

Do keep posted about things.

I'm on a shared hosting so I don't have those options..

You should consider leaving your current host if the load is causing noticable slowdowns and performance loss.
    TWSites.com - Business Web Hosting Solutions & Server Management Since 2003

Question

Hmm.. good but pretty risky suggestion.

Have you checked up with the support guys regarding the load ? Was wondering why they are yet to reduce the same for ya. You can check the points I have mentioned with them and ask them to update you at the earliest.

I am sure, the load issue is not so big a trouble unless there is real trouble with the servers.

Do keep us updated on this

Al
    It is reliability that counts...
    Few tips

Originally posted by albatross.smart
    Have you checked up with the support guys regarding the load ?
    Yep.. According to them my forum is the problem. I'm using phpbb and I don't have more than 200 people online. I doubt 150-200 people would be a big problem (Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM). 2 days ago server load went from 3 to 50 (4 cpus) in an hour. (I disabled forum when it was 10 but it went up without it. There was no more than 100 people on the site at that time). I should probably mention that I haven't made any changes on the site in a long time and I didn't have that problem before.