Need help! WinXP & Access is Denied

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following. I have an external hard drive and I have a set of files & folders on there. I did set it so that only I can access the contents of a particular folder on the hd. That was before I formatted my hard drive (the external hard drive wasn't touched.)

I've since created a username with the same name and same privileges after reinstalling XP Pro. Now, I can't access the folder; I'm getting "Access is denied"

I tried to take ownership of the folders, but I do not see the "Security" tab when I right click and select properties on the folder. Any help is appreciated!

If you are on WinXP Pro you can easily add that tab in the Group Policy editor.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303153 (Just do the opposite )

Or in WinXP home.

Just boot into safe mode and it has it there.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Turn off "simple file sharing". By default, if the machine is not part of a domain, simple file sharing is enabled. Go to tools-->folder options-->view-->advanced settings scroll to bottom, uncheck simple file sharing.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

How the heck do I start "Start Active Directory Users and Computers?" It's not listed in Administrative Tools.

Active Directory Users and Computers will be on a server that has active directory installed. It will not be listed in the administrative tools of a workstation.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    Active Directory Users and Computers will be on a server that has active directory installed. It will not be listed in the administrative tools of a workstation.
    In xp pro, start, run, type in "mmc" hit okay. Go to file, click add/remove snap in, click add find group policy, hit add, hit finish, hit close, hit OK, thats how you edit group policy locally on a machine.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

True enough, however there is no need for a group policy to "re-enable" the security tab. Just turn off simple file sharing.