* So you've been watching the apprentice..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...599931,00.html

Analyse this: The Apprentice

IF THE general election lacked excitement, this could hardly be said for the grand finale of the BBC Two series The Apprentice, in which a group of young people vied for a plum job with the businessman Sir Alan Sugar. As they competed frantically with each other, Sir Alanís harsh and acerbic judgment left no room for charity.
    The show followed a format that had proved successful in the States but why was it so compelling? A disparate bunch of wannabes strove to impress the boss, and in the process showed a small dose of team spirit and a large dose of ruthlessness.

Did we switch on merely to be reminded of the dog-eat- dog world we inhabit? Or was it the veneer of politesse and camaraderie that fascinated? The key does not lie in the unsavoury machinations of the teams. However sordid their conflicts and skirmishes, what matters is less what they do than who they do it for.

The contestants are not aiming for their own fulfilment and satisfaction but to satisfy someone else. The name of the game is to keep Sir Alan sweet. And so The Apprentice touches on a distinctly human phenomenon. Animals may aim to satisfy their own instincts but only humans aim to satisfy the instincts of others. The show dramatised an aspect of all our lives: the way we put ourselves out to make someone else happy.

Does this sound familiar? It is surely a part of most peopleís childhoods. And it was made all the more real by Sir Alanís responses. His gaze was ever-present, scrutinising the work of his would-be apprentices. They strove to secure his recognition and acknowledgment. Or, to put it more simply, his love.

Sir Alan is like a personification of our own internal taskmasters. He represents the critical side to our parents that can never be satisfied with us. Ever-critical, harsh and unforgiving, he might be compared to the Freudian figure of the super ego, the internal agency that judges us and never gives us the benefit of the doubt.

But Sir Alan is more than the incarnation of our internal demons. Social theorists and psychologists are for ever telling us that the era of the master is over. Fathers lack authority, and powerful leaders are replaced by weaklings and bureaucracy. And this is where The Apprentice packed its punch. It attempted to prove that the master still exists. Sir Alan appeared in his boardroom, flanked by two associates and surrounded by the aspirants, like a king and his courtiers.

As the election campaign showed, we find little majesty in our politicians. But, in The Apprentice, there it was. Finally, we found power and authority invested in a single individual. The only problem is, it was TV. The mastery had to be staged. Once again, a reality show responded to our nostalgia with its own real-life fictions.

Darian Leader is a psychoanalyst and author

I personally found the program really fun and engaging!

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I thought the Apprentice was excellent and I can't wait for Series 2 (it's been confirmed) I also loved the dragons den

Originally posted by talkfreelance
    I thought the Apprentice was excellent and I can't wait for Series 2 (it's been confirmed) I also loved the dragons den
    I was also overjoyed when Alan said on TV that he'd do another series
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Yeah this was a great show because i never liked shows like this but this one caught my eye but second season topped first for me.

But cmon everyone, saira should have been out of the competition ages before the final... at least to save herself a few grams of dignity
    Aquinox Hosting Solutions - UK Shared Hosting - Providing extensive support above and beyond the service we provide.

Web presence management in partnership with Mando Studios.