game servers question

Which OS is best to run hlds based game servers (cs 1.6, source) and why?

CentOS 4.0 Minimal. We find it easy to manage and install gameservers.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

what are you looking for when you mean best?

Best supported/Most stable/Most mods/Easiest to Administer/Most used? Frankly, there is no "Best" one. Whatever OS a person knows is going to be the "best" one they're going to recommend and they're right because its the best for them.

Play with the different distributions. Whatever you find easiest to administer and that meets your needs will be the best one for you.

I like CentOS because its stable, decent ping (17-30ms) from the bay area.

PM me for the address of my CZ server if you want to check it out...

Well im looking for stability and performance

I've heard that the steam server (1.6/source) runs "best" on windows (2k3/xp).

Im guessing the linux binaries aren't so hot..
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

I've also "heard" the same(windows is more stable and performs better - only for hlds!!!). As I've mentioned, I have one running with fairly low ping and hasn't gone down unless I did it manually.

I'm running 1 CS server on a dual xeon. So Naturally the next question would be, how many servers do you intend on running and what are your system specs?

Well I am unsure of my final specs but they will definitly be run on dual opterons with plenty of ram. The only thing I will be running on the box will be hlds (1.6/source/dod) and maybe in the future some call of duty servers. I have not worried about OS till I saw one post on WHT. Some guy was saying how windows is much better for hlds but almost every server company I know runs linux.

I would recommend you turn off all unnecessary services, regardless of the OS. You will see greater stability and performance.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Not every server company runs hlds... For your hardware, you should be able to get away with any OS. Once you start noticing some lag, stop adding hlds processess.

I agree with tronic... if nothings running except hlds, no problemo.

Originally posted by v3|dark
    .. Some guy was saying how windows is much better for hlds but almost every server company I know runs linux.
    I think this is because game server providers tend to use scripts to help automate the install and setup process.

Well another note, I plan on using a game control panel which basically does EVERYTHING from setting up the server to client functions. I was just worried about that guys post. He also mentioned something about changing the linux kernal or I will get terrible servers or something?

Windows also has the ability to do batch files and automate tasks... (No offense)

From my experience, its usually the cost of licensing and constant security problems that keeps people away from running a lot of windows servers. This is changing though as they change their pricing, add more small business/web suites, and improve security.

Originally posted by ikeo
    .. Windows also has the ability to do batch files and automate tasks... (No offense)
    None taken. I am fully aware of this. My point was that many control panels only work with linux hlds.

Can someone explain further on kernal versions affecting server performance and stability?

Don't worry about that guys post... If anything, run it on linux first for awhile... Then schedule some downtime to run it on windows... If it runs fine on linux, you don't need the $$ to dish out for a license... Just be upfront with your customers, and schedule some downtime 1 month from the date... let them know they'll be testing on a windows/linux box (they might be curious too).. Then you can tell us how it went... I havne't had problems with linux hlds though... (you can get an eval version of 2003 to do your testing so you don't have to dish out $$$ for testing)

tronic: Sorry, I didn't know about the control panels for hlds... I do everything from CLI... What control panels are out there?

Kernel versions are updates, either memory fixes, memory management, drivers, system level stuff. Usually they're improvements but can break stuff if the change are major. Think of them as service packs, except WAY smaller and more efficient...
    Last edited by ikeo; 05-08-2005 at 03:21 AM.

I agree with ikeo. Windows might run the steam hlds better, but you'll definitely pay for it.

Also, it might be difficult to find a windows host with prices similar to a linux provider. Maybe it would be better to co-locate your own hardware.

I've been out of the gaming loop for some time. The only control panel I remember was one with "exo" in the name. It could only run on linux.
    Last edited by tronic; 05-08-2005 at 03:38 AM.