1. #1 someone please un-confuse me.

Hi, I need a little clarification when it comes to This is what I have:

1. Website hosted with osCommerce
    2. Business checking account with Bank of America

Now, whith paypal, it seems to be real easy to add as a merchant account. What exactly is needed when it comes to I know it is a gateway but will I need a mercant account or does it work just like Paypal? I would be happy with paypal, but I got burned by to many chargebacks in my last business so I am looking for something else.

I have tried to use the search in this forum but it came up with 300 different answers. I need in basic terms exactly what I need to use Any suggestions on resellers would be great too.

Thank you in advance.

In short, you need your own merchant account with a checking account to use the terminal. If you were getting burned by chargebacks with Paypal, I don't think it will change if you get your own merchant account.

Castle Pines, CO
    7,189 is only an electronic payment gateway - like LinkPoint and Verisign's Payflow. You need a merchant account as well to accept credit cards.

Check with Bank of America and see what they can actually work out with you since you have an account there

Thank you for the answers. My last business was a game server company. High risk. This new business is for my girlfriend, she is selling bracelets. Hopefully that will be low risk. I think 2CO might be the way to go on this. Her volume is going to be low, around $50 a month to start. Hopefully once she gets going it will be more

Castle Pines, CO
    Definitely consider 2CO or Paypal for that type of volume. Just go thru both site's AUPs to make sure jewelry is an acceptable product

BofA now uses CyberSource's payment gateway (they abandoned their own and migrated their old customers over to CyberSource), and I'd recommend that over Authorize.Net as a payment gateway.

One thing to consider when getting a merchant account is the hidden add-on fees for various things like foreign cards, etc. By the time all is said and done a 2.39% rate ends up being around 4-5%. Even higher if you have chargebacks.

Chesapeake, VA
    Tom makes some good points.

When selecting a merchant account provider, it is important to understand all possible rates & fees and what rates apply to what kinds of transactions.

For instance, there are some well known processors who will "downgrade" a transaction if there is not a FULL AVS match and charge a non-qualified % rate on it... even though the processor does not incur any tangible increase in cost on such a transaction on the Interchange level.

There are also big differences between the way different merchant processors handle international/foreign, Rewards, business & corporate purchase cards, etc. - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at - we look forward to helping your business grow!