keylogger detectors

hey guys

got a friend who's hotmail password keeps getting changed everyday, she has to request a new one via secret answer every day. She's recently had a messy berak up and has the new girlfriend sending threatening emails.

So i thought she may have a keylogger on her pc reading her putting in her hotmail password.

Haven't had much success in finding a free or trial program that will scan for keyloggers, anyone know of any?

haven't looked to see if search and destroy will pick them up

thanks

aqi

Great question really.
    I would suggest possibly gaining a list of visible and background processes which these keyloggers run. Do some diagnostic work etc. You need to find the source of the keylogger, the file, the regkey - whatever..

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Excuse the dumb question I'm about to ask but I downloaded Microsoft Anti-Spyware quite some time ago and have been using it constantly... this program will protect me against all keyloggers right?

Couldn't he just download this program and do a search for keyloggers with it and have it destroy it? I hope it does protect against all keyloggers...

I believe almost any spyware scanner will find them. I know for sure Spybot will. You can always check to see by whats running etc.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Any personal firewall will do the job I think. They don't find the actual logger, but they prevent loggers to send information out.
    Closed for winter...

Originally posted by BurakUeda
    Any personal firewall will do the job I think. They don't find the actual logger, but they prevent loggers to send information out.
    Any personal firewall apart from the builtin XP one that is

Originally posted by master811
    Any personal firewall apart from the builtin XP one that is
    No kidding!
    Never used that, but it really doesn't even such a simple task?
    Closed for winter...

For a firewall, I highly suggest ZoneLabs.com for ZoneAlarm. It's free and it works damn good (they have a pro version as well). You have to allow / deny certain programs access to the internet, which will help you detect the name of the process.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Antivirus and AntiSpyware have no use in detecting key loggers. They can only detect known virus/spyware. However, many keyloggers are not classified as spyware, but security/monitoring programs. Not to mention true hackers usually use their own programs, not a premade one, which are not known by any antivirus vendor.

Firewalls add another layer to your security, but still, it cannot cover you from key loggers and trojans. Many trojans are now quite sophisticated, they won't use ordinary methods to transmit data. There are just too many ways to fool the firewalls. For example, they can write the data to web root directory if you have a web server running, make it accessible from outside, they can creat emails in Outlook's Outbox folder, they can use trusted programs like IE, instant messengers... to transmit the collected data. There are even more sophisticated and scary things I've seen like automatically adding their email addresses to BCC field when you are sending email from Outlook or webmail, or use IE to POST their data to the hackers every night.

One of the program I think quite helpful in detecting keyloggers is Security Task Manager , which shows you the properties (like ability to monitor keyboard activities, monitor Internet Connections, visibility...) of all running threads. From there you can do further investigation to locate and remove the keylogger. I think this is the best way to do it, don't rely on any automated program to remove trojans. But like any other program, the software suggested above cannot be perfect. The only 100% safe way is to reimage the drive, if you don't have a backup image, format it.

Sorry but Spyware scanners, suchas Spybot does detect keyloggers. Please do some research before you throw claims out.

http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...hreats&lang=en
    Enter "keylogger" without the quotes.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by Kamejoko
    One of the program I think quite helpful in detecting keyloggers is Security Task Manager , which shows you the properties (like ability to monitor keyboard activities, monitor Internet Connections, visibility...) of all running threads. From there you can do further investigation to locate and remove the keylogger. I think this is the best way to do it, don't rely on any automated program to remove trojans. But like any other program, the software suggested above cannot be perfect. The only 100% safe way is to reimage the drive, if you don't have a backup image, format it.
    That is an interesting program (Security Task Manager). I just tried it, looks like I'll be keeping it for a while.

thanks for the feedback guys

i was looking for something simple for my friend as she's not local for me to go help and is a bit of a technophobe. I will send spybot to her.

Security Task Manager does look interesting!

thanks again

aqi

Originally posted by immortal9
    Sorry but Spyware scanners, suchas Spybot does detect keyloggers. Please do some research before you throw claims out.

http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...hreats&lang=en
    Enter "keylogger" without the quotes.
    Some do, but as I said, they can only detects known keyloggers, which only used by scriptkiddies.

from what i know its quite hard to detect/scramble keyloggers,
    most anti-keylog programs trigger on keyboard events and scan if there is any output or changes on the harddisk, memory or registry that match the last pressed key.. but there already plenty ways to get around that..

best way is to manually schutdown all unknown proccesses in background, and use firefox

Originally posted by Vult-r
    best way is to manually schutdown all unknown proccesses in background, and use firefox
    Last time I checked IE didn't have too many links to keyloggers, but I'll take your word for it (I'm a FireFox user as well)

TELL HER TO CHANGE HER SECRET QUESTION AND ANSWER FOR IT FIRST OF ALL FROM SOME OTHER MACHINE.

That is the first thing I try to guess when I have to crack someone's hotmail password. So it is not necessary that she is having her password changed because someone has keylogger on her machine.

I hope this helps