Haltom City Police Department

well on tuesday it looks like i'll be making a call to the haltom city police department, but not to report a crime or suspious activity. I'll be going there to volunteer for the police department and gain experience! I found out yesterday that they allow volunteers to handle data entry, answering phones, answering citizen questions, and even searching for missing people. I thought it was rather interesting and let everyone know about it. If you have time check with your local police department and see if you can volunteer too!
    Kerry Jones

Good luck Kerry, let us know how it goes!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

oh I will, i'm hoping it won't be a rough day or a hard day. since I don't have a job and need experience i'm going to try and put in at least 6 hours day.
    Kerry Jones

If you liked it there - will you work with them?
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

well, i'm not sure and hopefully through my dedication and hard work prehaps they may even offer me a real job if I put in 150 hours a month. I think it will be good because this gives me the chance to see how an actual police department operations and their procedures. If I had the chance to work for the police department I would defiantly accept the job offer.
    Kerry Jones

do you get to carry mase or a club?

I don't think it involves physical patrols unless they want me to partipate in C.O.P (Citizens On Patrol), which aren't allowed to carry weapons except for a cell phone. I certainly don't think that would be required when searching for missing people in which if I were to search them I don't mind going down into creeks, rivers, forests, etc.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I begin.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones

I would defiantly accept the job offer.
    Good luck with that. I really hope you do find something and what you're doing is one way of going about it.

However, there's a word in your posts that you've been incorrectly spelling everytime you use it. I tried a couple of times in the past to give you hints at the proper spelling but to no avail The only reason I'm bringing it up again is that if you do work (even if it's just as a volunteer) in a professional environment, what you write is a reflection on you and your education.

Getting to the point: the word you use is DEFIANTLY when you mean to use DEFINETELY. Those two words have completely different meanings and they're not even pronounced the same.

And, another thing, and I'm not accusing you of making this next mistake, but I do know that some people in this forum make it over and over again. There are no such phrases as "WOULD OF" or "COULD OF" or "HAD OF".

'WOULD OF" is correctly spelled "WOULD'VE", and it is a contraction of "WOULD HAVE". "COULD OF" is correctly spelled "COULD'VE" and is a contraction of "COULD HAVE".

Just trying to help.

Later,

Originally posted by adorno
    Getting to the point: the word you use is DEFIANTLY when you mean to use DEFINETELY. Those two words have completely different meanings and they're not even pronounced the same.[/B]
    It's definitely.

Originally posted by Ashed
    It's definitely.
    Correcting a correction. How ironic
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Originally posted by Ashed
    It's definitely.
    You're right.

I didn't proof-read my post and a typo escaped me.

But, I hope the people concerned got the hint.

Thanks.

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    Correcting a correction. How ironic
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I've heard somewhere that most police departments will allow "ride alongs" if you ask, dunno if that's true or not but I think it'd rule going on patrol with a cop for a little while.

Anyone ever heard this too or was someone pulling my leg about it?
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I've only heard this can be done through the Police Explorer's program. You must be under the age of 18-years-old to partipate.
    Kerry Jones

I've heard of the Explorer's program also.. As to the COP, are you not allowed to carry weapons even if you have a Concealed Handgun License?

Edit: Curious since I'm in N. Richland Hills..
    James Lumby

Any person, at least in Denver, can request to be a ride along with the police. I know few people that did.

Originally posted by lumbyjj
    I've heard of the Explorer's program also.. As to the COP, are you not allowed to carry weapons even if you have a Concealed Handgun License?

Edit: Curious since I'm in N. Richland Hills..
    I believe you can carry a c/c license on your patrol ( I would have to check with the city), but your not suppose to put yourself in danger. If let's say a burglar did try to attack you with a weapon or shoots a gun at you then i'd assume under the license you can return fire.

You live in the town next to me? I must say you probably think my town is a freak show with all the previous scandals.
    Kerry Jones

LOL, ehh.. It's ok.... I prefer N.R.H., although we had one recently with a drunk..
    James Lumby

aww yes, the police chief!

should give me a call sometime. we could chat about wht.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I've only heard this can be done through the Police Explorer's program. You must be under the age of 18-years-old to partipate.
    I've also heard that.

Although the Police Explorer I knew was 19, not sure about the age or if it varies by region.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Good luck with that Kerry. I volunteered for my local police department when I was younger. I got involved in the Explorer Program (typically allows applicants at ages 13-14 and goes until you are 21 years of age, at which point you age-out) and I can honestly say those were the best years of my life. I learned so much about myself, about how the police department really operates, and more importantly, just how dangerous their job is. I've been on several ridealongs, and let me tell you, we really don't have a clue as to what this job entails. It's not uncommon for ONE arrest to require 2 hours or more to process (locking up of suspect, completion of various forms, collection of evidence, etc.). I will honestly say the best people I've EVER met have been those in uniform. These people are true patriots and I'm proud to have been able to interact with them.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    I've heard somewhere that most police departments will allow "ride alongs" if you ask, dunno if that's true or not but I think it'd rule going on patrol with a cop for a little while.

Anyone ever heard this too or was someone pulling my leg about it?
    As they said yes, you must be 18 to do it -- and it can be slightly different than what you think. One of our seniors at my school did that last year for senior project, let's just say he had some interesting stories.

Good Lord man. Are you serious? A real job - not related to the internet? Face to face with real people instead of email, IRC & forum posts. Face to face interaction with street thugs and coppers instead of cyber scammers and moderators?
    You are a brave soul. Good luck, and give us a report on your safe return.