To FireWall or not to FireWall?

It seems that alot of dedicated server providers do not offer firewall solutions with the same quality as ThePlanet. The Planet seems alot more organized with an arsenal of features. My main question is, should I spend the extra money on there firewall solutions?

Cisco PIX 501 + $99/MO
    Cisco PIX 506e + $195/MO
    Cisco PIX 515e + $495/MO

You could use a software based Firewall and see how it goes. If the performance is not acceptable then move to a hardware firewall.

Also does anyone actually use all of the planets features. I mean they all look great and useful but it adds so much money onto the server.

The real question to ask yourself is if you really need a hardware based firewall or not. As eddy suggested their main benefit is speed and taking load off the server (a software firewall is only good for so many packets per second before your server is unusable). If you are in fear of DDoS I would suggest a firewall (or if you had many servers you wanted to firewall).
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I think it depends on how many servers you have, a hardware based firewall will relieve the servers of a load and make it easier to manage.

So, if I were to go with a hardware firewall would the Cisco PIX 501 + $99/MO be sufficient, opposed to the more expensive solutions that they offer?

I think if you're asking this question, you'll probably be fine with pf/iptables/whatever software firewall you have on your OS.

Have you set up a software firewall and found it to be inadequate? Only when you know what kind of load you're getting will people be able to determine how much horsepower you need in a hardware firewall.

Well, I am looking for the top of the line hosting, which means no interruptions at all

Good software firewalls?

Can anyone recommend some affordable, decent software firewalls? Also is the firewall (ICF) that comes with Windows 2003 any good?

These guys offer hardware firewall protection from $10/mo
    extra over your dedicated server fee...

http://www.ezzi.net/home/solutions/i...ted&Addon=Deep

Re: Good software firewalls?

Originally posted by AntonIFI
    Can anyone recommend some affordable, decent software firewalls? Also is the firewall (ICF) that comes with Windows 2003 any good?
    Well, I personally find the use of IPSecs or RRAS which comes with Windows 2003 to be sufficient for most needs. Basically, they allow standard blocking or allowing of ports for use with the internet. The best part is that it is free and easy to use.

To the OP, you could begin with the software firewall but if you find that you do not want to create any load your server, you could consider enabling Ozone which is an ACL Security tool which pretty much does the core function of a firewall and does not load your system up. Check out http://www.theplanet.com/telemetry/0305/np3.html

Also, apart from the Unmetered plans, there are a few DoS and Intrusion Alert and Mitigration system at work at The Planet facilities which is available free of charge.

They including Tipping Point http://www.theplanet.com/telemetry/0305/np1.html ,

Arbor Networks Peakflow http://www.theplanet.com/telemetry/0305/np2.html and Cisco Guard.

If you signed up for The Planet server, there is the additional ISS RealSecure http://www.theplanet.com/telemetry/0305/np4.html .

This PDF File would explain the security measures and infrastructures uses at The Planet
    http://www.theplanet.com/telemetry/0305/stp.pdf

This is definitely a frycry from when I signed up with them about 2 years ago. Of course the firewall on your server would act as the final wall of protection if the rest could not handle them.

A good firewall for a server, if using windows 2000 or 2003, would be zonealarm. I have it on my california box and it works great. Sometimes it needs a restart because it will have alot of people connecting to it, and it filters alot of hackers. In the past month it has blocked 4,000 packets which is good, and it makes the server have less latency.

Since buying, and maintaining a dedicated firewall is expensive or complicated, we have implemented a "gateway" solution that only opens up ports to the server's private VLAN.

It isn't 100% secure because you are in a mini "DMZ" with your neighbors on the rack, However, it is quite effective.

We are also able to run Gateway AntiVirus and SpamScreen, in addition to stateful packet inspection. The stats are really amazing, just this week alone we have stripped 587 viruses and deleted 52,712 spam emails even before they reached our customers servers.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

it depengs your serverand your software, because some software doesn't add the firewall,or the server will be down

it depengs your OS and software.