Increase Upload limit?

I wonder is it possible to increase the upload limit? Php has a limit of 2mb. But I wonder is it possible to increase it. I see some other file hosting can uload a much larger file..
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Re: Increase Upload limit?

Originally posted by DT-Spirit
    I wonder is it possible to increase the upload limit? Php has a limit of 2mb. But I wonder is it possible to increase it. I see some other file hosting can uload a much larger file..
    It is possible if you have root access or can define your own php.ini file for your account.

Do you have your own dedicated server ? If yes, you can edit php.ini. Otherwise you can request your host to increase the limit. We have increased the limit for clients after reviewing their needs and I am sure your host will be willng to do the same for you.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Keep in mind that you may also have to modify the mysql configuration file (usually my.cnf) depending on the application. Make sure that the values are set properly to keep from overloading the server and causing other problems.

I have a dedicated server and can you tell me what I need to do? like step by step if possible.

On Linux

locate php.ini
    pico php.ini

Ctrl + W
    search for: upload_max_filesize
    change from 2 to anything higher.

Ctrl + X
    Y
    Restart Apache

Or..

Upload a .htacess to the account where you wish to upload files larger than 2M

php_value upload_max_filesize 8M

call it .htaccess

how come there arn't anything in php.ini

Sorry for double post..
    I found it.. but I wonder what are the disadvantages for increasing the upload limit.

the only disadvantage is that if you have many concurrent uploads, you may use up excessive amounts of RAM.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Well if you have like 10 clients and just one need bigger upload limit there is a different way true .htaccess. I on my site upload limit is 2 MB sorry was because i add this to my .htaccess
    php_value upload_max_filesize 50M

Originally posted by LaMpiR
    Well if you have like 10 clients and just one need bigger upload limit there is a different way true .htaccess. I on my site upload limit is 2 MB sorry was because i add this to my .htaccess
    php_value upload_max_filesize 50M
    Editting the PHP value does not always work. If uploads are being used in conjunction with a MySQL database, for example, you would have to also edit my.cnf.