Is Netenberg going to slowly chip away at our pocket books?

accountlab will become a paid product.

Fantastico will now expire after one year rather than allowing the software to continue unsupported.

What's next? The cost of hosting will continue to be nickle and dimed?

Maybe it's a good thing. If they buy up all of the free software and make it paid perhaps there will be less kiddie hosts using their free software to make a buck out there.

Originally posted by blue27
    . . . Fantastico will now expire after one year rather than allowing the software to continue unsupported. . .
    I thought it always was yearly.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

It was SWR but if you chose not to re-subscribe for the next year of support the software was still functional.

Now they have decided to totally disable it if you don't renew.

It was SWR but if you chose not to re-subscribe for the next year of support the software was still functional.

Now they have decided to totally disable it if you don't renew.
    I get ya now.

They used to be like vB and MB and most other things out there. Support was for one year. If you needed support or an upgrade after that, you paid. If you didn't need anything, you used the software as is.

Now the software is rendered useless if you do not pay each year.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

That is correct.

Well they may try and nickle and dime us to death but I have about had it with them myself.

5 years ago I bought their coolbreeze themes and installed it on a few servers I continued to install it and paid for addtional lics over the years. Then a couple of months ago i get an email telling me I owe them for renwal on all the themes or they will disable them.

Now when I bought this software it was a one time purchase same with fantastico and now they are changing the terms in the middle of the road.

I will do the same with fantastico as I did with the themes tell my users they will be replaced with another product to stop using by such and such date.

The support has always been dismal at best.

There are other choices out there and I suspect this move will mean a few more will pop up soon.

Originally posted by Techark
    . . . There are other choices out there and I suspect this move will mean a few more will pop up soon.
    www.openinstaller.com has been around for a while, and it's very well supported.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I would highly recommend Installatron. It does pretty much everything Fantastico does at a lower price. We have several licenses and it's worked great for us.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Actually if you are buying in bulk Fantastico is cheaper than Installatron.
    If you are buying single licenses then Installatron is quite a bit cheaper.

Installatron looks very promising. Simpli-Erica - how long have you been using it on your servers and have you ever needed to contact their support??

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Personally the only thing keeping me with Fantastico is that it is free at the DC's I use. IF they want to nickel and dime me to death I would leave in an instant if it started costing me anything.

I have always found the support unprofessional and even sometimes rude with some of the responses they give in the forums.

I believe Fantastico is still in the #1 position for cPanel servers as far as amount of installations but I believe they would take a huge hit if some DC's and end users start converting to other scripts which there are many out there these days that can do the job.

Techark,

did some of your license stop working? Only licenses sold after April 30 2004 should (as stated in our terms). If you have problems running your licenses bought previously, please contact me.

In this thread I noticed a dissatisfaction with our support, contrary to others' opinion as expressed in dozens of emails. If you want to be more specific, please email me (do not PM me, please click on the "email" button) with a detailed description of the occurrence. I will be very thankful as dissatisfaction teaches us how to get better.

kosmo
    http://netenberg.com/
    AccountLab Plus Affordable professional webhosting billing -- Click Be! Building websites as easy as it click be
    Fantastico De Luxe - Install your favourite scripts at a mouse click -- Universina - The CPanel skin with Heart and Soul

Actually if you are buying in bulk Fantastico is cheaper than Installatron.
    If you are buying single licenses then Installatron is quite a bit cheaper.
    Blue, I am not seeing this. Installatron has very inexpensive annual licenses. If you have a lot of servers, you can also do their 25 servers for $375 annually package, which is $15 per license. If you are talking about unlimited, well, Fantastico no longer even offers unlimited licenses.

Tina, I have been using Installatron since June 2004. Support is very fast and I have been quite pleased with them. Last year, they did have some bugs with MySQL being on a different server than the web server, and we helped them work all of those out, so I know it works properly in that environment. No complaints from customers, either... it works as planned. It's definitely worth a look.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Licensing and cost issues aside, I cannot say anything bad about their support. While it is very easy to setup, install, and use, there were few occasions when I needed to contact them. All issues that I had with them where resolved quickly, professionally, and in a timely manner. You can check out their support forums and see when support post where made, the time they where resolved, and the quality of the response. In my opinion, Ilias and his crew are doing a fine job with support.

Regarding the licensing situation, that is a completely different debate and with valid points on each side. If a license expires, you would want to remove Fantastico anyway as you would not want to install old/outdated applications with security holes anyway. Nonetheless, if they changed the terms on old customers, I would not been happy either. Based on Ilias’s post above, I take it that this sounds like an error on their part.

You don't have to wait for a Fantastico license to expire before you can update to their latest version.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)