My plan for building a 4 way server for $5K

Monarchcomputer.com has dual core opteron 865, 870 and 875 in stock now. It seems that AMD is able to produce these things in good quantity. But these chips are too expensive.

Soon, the Opteron 265, 270,275 dual core chips will be out, the 265 (dual core 1.8GHZ) costs $850, kind of affordable. And, the Tyan s2882G2NR-D is available for $390, pay attention to the D suffix of the tyan board, it means it can do dual core.

So this will be my server spec

1) 2 x Opteron 265-- $1500
    2) 8GB of PC2700 DDR-- $1300
    3) 8 x 200 GB SATA drives: $1000
    4) Good 2U server chassis with RPS: $800
    5) Highpoint raid controller card: $200
    6) Tyan board: $400

total $5200

then pay $299 for directadmin license

that's a machine that is capable of handling at least 1500 sites.

try ask your dedicated host for such a beast and see how much it costs monthly

I got some zero APR credit card, that's free money, and I will use that to buy these components.

Where did you put the AMD tatoo by the way?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

ha ha ha, guess the front is full of drives and the opteron logo has no place.
    Any way, my customers won't see the machine, so I will put the opteron 64 logo on directadmin interface.

I went to the DC again today, some cabinets are open, so I had a peek,a lot of pathetic DELL crap powered by P3, celeron, etc....

Re: My plan for building a 4 way server for $5K

Originally posted by wm2100

that's a machine that is capable of handling at least 1500 sites.
    How are you sure of this number? Small non-utilized static sites, sure. Dynamic sites, maybe. Heavily-utilized dynamic sites, probably not.

It is typically more cost effective / flat out effective to have multiple servers than one monster of a server.

Re: Re: My plan for building a 4 way server for $5K

Originally posted by Josh Stein
    How are you sure of this number? Small non-utilized static sites, sure. Dynamic sites, maybe. Heavily-utilized dynamic sites, probably not.

It is typically more cost effective / flat out effective to have multiple servers than one monster of a server.
    its possible but i can see an issue with disk IO brewing
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Yeah, disk IO will easily be the bottleneck on that system. Use say 6-8 10k RPM Raptors and it should be a good deal better, or better yet, SCSI.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

ha ha ha, guess the front is full of drives and the opteron logo has no place.
    Any way, my customers won't see the machine, so I will put the opteron 64 logo on directadmin interface.

I went to the DC again today, some cabinets are open, so I had a peek,a lot of pathetic DELL crap powered by P3, celeron, etc....
    p3 tualatin are some of the most stable chips i have ever used.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Just because you build it doesn't mean they will come....

IMHO, this server would be suitable for a single extremely heavy site, not for a gazillion of smaller ones. For small sites, I'd just keep adding up middle-end servers as soon as they get filled. That's cheaper and easier.

And yes, if you decide to build it, consider a SCSI RAID instead of SATAs - unless you're planning a file archive with huge diskspace and low i/o.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I don't think his point is for his actual customers. Seems like this is more for personal satisfaction. Seems like you're spending all this money without any real use for it. I would think with your Sempron 3100+ test results you could build about 5 of those and totally crush your proposed system with the same amount of funds.

What are you going to do with your existing hardware? Is that one fully utilized already? The dual 242 2gb ecc 4x200gb hdd?

You build a high end system and then decide to use SATA. Why don't you use SCSI hdd's and a SATA NAS? Do you even have the need for 2 TB of storage?

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    p3 tualatin are some of the most stable chips i have ever used.
    Not many really understand the value of those chips. There was a very special feeling when handling P-III-based servers - a feeling that this thing will work.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

One of my first hardware reviews was that of the Tualatin. Great chip and I just got rid of it recently because it wasn't being used for anything.

Having so many sites on a single box is not a good idea.
    Instead of spending 5,000 on a single server, spend 5,000 on 5 p4's and put 200 sites on each. When you have problems with the server only 20% of your clients will be down.
    mike @ Interserver.net
    Web Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Check out our Social Media Offers at our Facebook Page

I don't work for AMD. If I worked for AMD sales, I would present Sempron vs Xeon benchmarks all day long.... just put INTEL to shame....
    but there are always people that are not smart enough ...

Originally posted by ikeo
    I don't think his point is for his actual customers. Seems like this is more for personal satisfaction. Seems like you're spending all this money without any real use for it. I would think with your Sempron 3100+ test results you could build about 5 of those and totally crush your proposed system with the same amount of funds.

What are you going to do with your existing hardware? Is that one fully utilized already? The dual 242 2gb ecc 4x200gb hdd?

You build a high end system and then decide to use SATA. Why don't you use SCSI hdd's and a SATA NAS? Do you even have the need for 2 TB of storage?
    I haven't started my hosting biz yet.. The servers are still running idle... they are for some other biz, I am still developing the software for them. But I am thinking about doing hosting, it sounds like easy money, fire up some server and run some existing software, that is it. I admit that I am wasting money right now, but things take time.

But I am thinking about doing hosting, it sounds like easy money, fire up some server and run some existing software, that is it.
    It may sound like its easy but it really is not if you plan on sticking it out for the long run.

I haven't started my hosting biz yet.. The servers are still running idle... they are for some other biz, I am still developing the software for them. But I am thinking about doing hosting, it sounds like easy money, fire up some server and run some existing software, that is it. I admit that I am wasting money right now, but things take time.
    It's not like that hasn't been said before on WHT.

You're right, it has been said before... and the speaker of those words is usually the first one to be grilled to death by those who really don't like the phrase "easy money" when it comes to webhosting.

wm2100, there is no "easy money". There's the measly paycheck that you have to write yourself (and sometimes not, especially at the start of your endeavour), and then there's the hard-earned money that you receive only after a year or more of providing 24/7 support and devotion to your customers. Believe me, your profits won't be a simple measure of "Sales minus Expenses." You should apply for a job with an already-successful webhost, and learn the ropes before you decide to rappel.

btw, those highpoint cards are really poor you'll have serious IO issues with that system.

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    btw, those highpoint cards are really poor you'll have serious IO issues with that system.

If you're going to spend that kind of dough, you might as well go with a nice 3ware card.
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by interservermike
    Having so many sites on a single box is not a good idea.
    Instead of spending 5,000 on a single server, spend 5,000 on 5 p4's and put 200 sites on each. When you have problems with the server only 20% of your clients will be down.
    Thats what i think as well best thing said in this post

Sempron vs Xeon benchmarks all day long....
    I dont understand, I thought there were only 24 hours in a day (must be wrong) as so far you have been posting benchmarks 24-7.

Originally posted by tronic

If you're going to spend that kind of dough, you might as well go with a nice 3ware card.
    Absolutely.

I have two Highpoint cards in servers right now, and they've been nothing but trouble. (I'll be swapping one out this weekend, yay!)

I have four 3Ware cards in production, and they work flawlessly. Yes, they're expensive, but they are worth it.

(We're getting a nice quad Opteron here at work soon, but it's for our databases, not for web hosting.)

I was just about to post the same thing, all that money then you throw away the performance with a Highpoint, better yet, instead of a 3ware, get an Areca card.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Yeah 3ware cards are stable and reliable, but there are much faster cards out there especially given the price.