Question What DNS service do you suggest me ?

I finally ordered my machine with ThePlanet. Seems that it was the "last time". I want to change my doimain registrar too. What DNS service should I select ? I thinking about Godaddy and Enom.

I like dnsmadeeasy.com for dns

Originally posted by mkc
    I like dnsmadeeasy.com for dns
    I second the recommendation for DNSMADEEASY.com

Great services and great pricing. Very easy to use.
    TheBuzzard

But what if I want the registrar and DNS service should be the same company ? Is there some problem with e.g. godaddy ?

DNSmadeeasy also has domainsmadeeasy which is a reseller of Godaddy. Same costs. Working with DNSmadeeasy is truly "easy" and super reliable. A better choice.
    TheBuzzard

But seems that with Godaddy I have to pay only for domains and the DNS service is included for free. Or I missing something ?

transfer the domain to enom, use enom's dns

Is Enom better than GoDaddy ?

my domains are with godaddy but honestly going through all the ads and other crap on their site gets annoying fast.

Originally posted by mkc
    my domains are with godaddy but honestly going through all the ads and other crap on their site gets annoying fast.
    Same here. Our domains are through GoDaddy but we use DNSMadeEasy for DNS as well.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

Same thing here - I am using EV1 for the domain registration (if it works) and DNS Made Easy for DNS.

If you are The Planet's customer, you can purchase .com and .net domain names through them for $5.99/year which is probably the cheapest around.

As for external DNS Service, I would recommend DNSMadeEasy.com too. It is cheap and works great. I love the redundant DNS Servers. Alternatively, if you want, you can always use The Planet's free DNS Servers too.

I highly recommend everydns.net.

If you register via Enom, their dns is free to use (otherwise it's $1 now). They have pretty good instant switching for updates.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

www.easydns.com has worked great for me. I also use www.sitelutions.com and that's also great (and free!).

freedns.afraid.org has worked great for me in the past. I haven't used it in a little while though.

Use enom it's decent or for an even better one: powerdns.com

Real live changes and no limits for TTL (or extremely low, you can do like 60 seconds or so unlike enom , bulkregister etc...)

First 3 domains are free, with unlimited subdomains, plus a few email forwards and 1 pop account included for free.

I use RegisterFly.com, they offer a good service specially for bulk domain managing.

Leonardos
    Website developer: php, mysql, apache.
    jwHelp.com customer support sofware

Originally posted by alphared
    maybe I am old fashioned - but bulkregister.com works great for me
    I think my support at EveryDNS.net is pretty good but I will say this:

For my employer I have all our domains in a corporate bulkregister account. While their frontend and UI might actually be worse than mine, their support is TOP NOTCH and their site is very functional and powerfull for users who know what they are doing.

Whenever I call BulkRegister's private support line the call is usually answered right after the first ring.

I highly recommend them for domain registration. I didn't know they did DNS though.

-David
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

dnsmadeeasy.com works very well and you can have vanity dns name servers for no extra charge.

Can i ask what a DNS service actually does over a normal domain name registrar?

I use dnsmadeeasy and have had good luck with them.

I've used ZoneEdit.com in the past and have been pretty happy with the reliability and ease of use.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

Originally posted by Rob T
    I've used ZoneEdit.com in the past and have been pretty happy with the reliability and ease of use.
    I have been using them for a few months and nothing to say about reliability. When it comes to customer service, though, it's very slow. I am currently trying to register a new zone and all what I get is a message saying "Error: Permission Denied You are not currently entitled to edit this domain name. Please contact the administrator of 'poland-lithuania-tours.com'" 4 days later, I still have no reply from customer service on that matter. I really don't understand what's the problem, as I seem to be able to register any zone; as an experiment, I tried to register whitehouse.gov and... it was accepted, although (of course) I am not the owner of that domain!
    Last edited by kiwipole; 05-31-2005 at 03:37 AM.

We use both DNSMadeeasy and ZoneEdit. We have found the DNSMadeeasy system to be faster, easier to understand and less costly.
    TheBuzzard

Originally posted by smoove.
    Can i ask what a DNS service actually does over a normal domain name registrar?
    Hello smoove,
    DNS services make it so you don't have to use the nameservers on the machine that hosts the site. This allows you to easily edit dns records and also it is usually hosted in multiple places so there is less chance of downtime.

I have only used easydns.com (a bit expensive) but I am going to try DNSmadeeasy for some domains and see how they work.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by markwolk
    When it comes to customer service, though, it's very slow. I am currently trying to register a new zone and all what I get is a message saying "Error: Permission Denied You are not currently entitled to edit this domain name. (...)"
    Just a follow-up to my own post re Zoneedit. I finally (5 days later) received a reply from their customer service. Seemingly the problem is that my current host / registrar also uses Zoneedit; so they must first delete their zone for my domain before I can add it myself. So, as stated before, Zoneedit IS reliable, but customer service is slow.

BTW this is a hosting forum with many categories, but there is no category for DNS hosting. Would such a category not be useful? Moderators?

BTW this is a hosting forum with many categories, but there is no category for DNS hosting. Would such a category not be useful? Moderators?
    FYI that question is now moved here.