Windows Control Panels

This year, we have had an awful lot of requests for windows hosting accounts. And i am not 100% up to date on which is the 'best' hosting control panel.

Ive research and have came up with two in my shortlist. I wondered whether i could have your opinons on them (and any others you may know)

I am wanting a nice simple interface for the users (including reselling privs,) and a very powerful admin system.

The two i have shortlisted are:

1) Helm
    2) Plesk

Thanks

We currently use Helm. I have used PLesk on both Windows and Linux and I've found it to be very clunky.

Helm has improved tremendously over the last 18 months and has benefitted greatly from a fatstic community on their forums and interaction with the owners and developers.

Helm 4 is due out in the last quarter of 2005 and is set to be a lot more condusive to add-ons.

The main advantage Plesk has over Helm at the moment is that it is dual platform. Once Helm 4 is released it will be easy for developers to build new service providers and there has already been talk of Linux connectors for running Mail, DNS services etc. Hopefully we'll get a Web connector too.

The major difference with helm over other CP's is that it is a true multi-server Control System. You have one point of control and can add servers and distribute Mail, DNS, Statistics, Web, Database services etc across multiple servers to expand very easily from a single to multi server setup. There is no need for every server to be standalone. New servers become part of the Helm controlled network.
    Mick Beeby
    www.reyaltec.com - Quality Helm Dedicated, Reseller & Shared Windows 2003 Hosting. UK & US based servers.
    www.aspbite.com - Modular ASP Content Management System

We also use Helm and have been very pleased with all the support. I will say the billing portion is a bit lacking (but that is because of WorldPay) - we lease per month and have had a horrific time lately.

HELM is the standard in windows. We use it and from all I've tested it seems to be the best. I've tested plesk a year ago and it was a very bad experience even if my hosting servers for unix are all with plesk but I can't recomend it for windows, there is also h-sphere but I never used it althought the reputation is good. There is also Ensim for windows Hosting Controller and Hosting Accelarator but there are more so the list is good.
    Shopping Cart Builder - Complete ecommerce suite for simple and advanced shopping cart needs

I don't think Helm is a standard for Windows. Not saying Helm is no good, but at current, I don't really think there is a dominant player in Windows Controlpanel industry yet. Been using HC for years found it easy to use just that its interface is far less attractive than Helm but its features are much more. I would say look out for Plesk Windows, they have very very strong backing from sw-soft. Maybe in the times ahead we will see a much better Plesk CP for Windows.

Yes. HELM is a bit hard to work with at 1st (How it's structured) but from all I've tested it seems the more stable and does the job done Where others not

I haven't tested HC so I don't really know
    Shopping Cart Builder - Complete ecommerce suite for simple and advanced shopping cart needs

7. We use Plesk (7.5) on our Windows and Linux machines and we love it, as do our customers. It is very stable, easy to use and well featured.

With it been available for Windows and Linux it also provides consistency between our Windows and Linux accounts.
    Designer Hosting Ltd
    UK Hosting for Web Designers
    www.DesignerHosting.co.uk

thanks for your inputs

im currently trying out helm on our development network, and there are a few things im not 100% sure about... there doesnt seem to be any control for the end users. There is for admins and resellers, but not the user accounts.

What controls are the users missing?

i cant seem to find the option that allow users to add subdomains, email addresses, stuff like that

You need to set that up in your plans. Once you set it up in the plans this will give the user that option.

Anytime - good luck with it! it takes a little bit to get used to but once you do, it is a breeze

Gotta agree with most of the comments above. HELM beats all the other Windows panels, few that there are, hands down.

We have been using HELM for a couiple of years now and wouldn't switch for all the ice in Siberia!

That's the main reason why we became a distributor, we honestly do believe in the product 110%...

If you get any problems using HELM, feel free to drop us a line

I went from setting things up manually to Plesk then to Helm. I found that the windows management of Plesk was too linuxy. They are just a company with marketting rather than a company with a good product. My Linux friends say their linux one is ok. I wouldn't recommend it for serious windows hosting, not after my experience of it.

Helm has been a completely different level. Absolutely love it and more so, love the direction it is taking. I can see myself growing very well with that company.

The hosting company I use has Helm and it is fantastic. Being a user, I have no problems with it
    John

I had InsPanel.com 's control panel installed on my server and it ran fine. It is easy and user friendly. Good luck!

Yeah, but either way I think inspanel.com has a good control panel. Best one I've used.