Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've seen teachers who'd still be buttholes to a student even if the student were very nice and calm "hey man this is my mom in Iraq I'm not gonna hang up on her I'm sorry" and I've seen students who would have DESERVED the suspension EVEN THOUGH it's his mom in Iraq "hey shutup man I ain't hanging up the damn phone".

So unless you were standing next to the student and heard how he and the teacher talked to each other you don't know nothing about what went on. The news? It distorts crap daily you can't trust what the news tells you so don't even try and pick a side on this one.

IF I had to guess, and purely a guess, and the fact that both the teacher AND the principal seemed to agree, I'd say the student mishandled the situation. I've seen more than a few cases where a teacher was being kinda uhm "stubborn" and then the principal was like "ok I'll handle this you can go back to your class" and when the teacher left he'd be like "look fellas ya'll quick antagonizing her and be good, next time I'll have to punish you no matter how silly it is!".
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

blue, i'm sure CNN has researched if the teen's mom is in Iraq otherwise they would of never run this story.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by blue27
    Who cares who he was talking to. Maybe it was his mother in Iraq maybe it was his buddy in room 409.

Schools have rules just like everything and everywhere else in life. When you are told to abide by those rules you don't act like a jerk.

If the school doesn't act on this incident the next thing you know every little punk with a cell phone is talking on it saying they are talking to their "mother in Iraq"
    In September that's a plausible scenario. By April, even if the teacher couldn't be certain of this exact phone call, he should have been aware of the boy's situation.

Here is an excerpt from
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...s/11575912.htm

Francois said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

Francois said the teacher tried to take the phone, causing it to hang up.

I don't know whether Francois's statement is accurate. Tentatively considering that it might be accurate, it looks like the teacher was flirting with an assault charge. It looks like the school, knowing that, could be playing the-best-defense-is-a-good-offense.

Totally Obsurd!!!!!!

Merci for the report!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Of course it's hearsay, and I don't know if it's true. But if the teacher really did grab the phone from the boy, all that song and dance about how the boy is sooooo lucky they didn't report him to the police could be to scare him out of making the police report that they were afraid of.

That kind of thing wouldn't surprise me. I've worked in hospital labs for almost 25 years, so I've seen some of the things the cream of respectability stoops to for amazingly small slivers of personal advantage.

The teacher obviously hates freedom. </bush>

Anyways, yeah my teacher used to smoke in the classroom by the window. Funniest thing that I've ever seen. He stole the admin password from the photocopier and photocopied absolutely everything because he had no limit from that.

As well, one time I made a petition to get rid of our principles that they were so bad. They too interrogated me, as one other poster said. Called it defamation. Ripped me out of class from an important test. I hated 2/3 principles that I had in my elementary/high school years.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Called it defamation. Ripped me out of class from an important test.
    Exactly what they were saying to me. In fact they were threatening to expell me, suspend me, or put me in ISS and i'm a one time offender. I never really caused any problems in school and yet they were treating me like **** because I expressed a thought, a unique spark.
    Kerry Jones

Here is a copy of the online message I just sent to The American Legion (I'm a member):

I have seen the article at
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...s/11575912.htm
    about the incident at Spencer High School in Columbus, GA which started with student Kevin Francois answering a monthly phone call from his mother SFC Monique Bates, who is serving in Iraq. It ended with Kevin getting suspended for disorderly conduct. One little part of this really caught my attention:

Francois said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."
    Francois said the teacher tried to take the phone, causing it to hang up.

I have no way of knowing if this is accurate. If it is correct, it casts some doubt on the credibility and motives of the school officials. They could have been laying it on thick about Kevin's alleged bad behavior to protect the teacher from a possibly justifiable assault charge. The part about how they were being nice for merely suspending Kevin instead of reporting him to the police could have been a ploy to make Kevin fearful to make the report that the school was fearful he could have made. Then again it may not be that way. I am drawing inferences from hearsay, which tends to have a high risk of inaccuracy. Still, the school has the resources, and Kevin's father is dead, and his mother is serving in Iraq. The possibility that children of our soldiers who are away fighting the war could be vulnerable to abuses of authority at school greatly concerns me. I think it is consistent with our mission to help the veterans for the American Legion to offer the family assistance and legal counsel to investigate this incident.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    blue, i'm sure CNN has researched if the teen's mom is in Iraq otherwise they would of never run this story.
    I'm not questioning the fact that it was his Mother in Iraq in this incident I'm just saying that there are school rules.
    This school even helps to arrange phone calls from family in Iraq during school hours so I tend to believe that the boy over reacted.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I don't know whether Francois's statement is accurate. Tentatively considering that it might be accurate, it looks like the teacher was flirting with an assault charge. It looks like the school, knowing that, could be playing the-best-defense-is-a-good-offense.
    Flirting with an assault charge for taking a phone?
    This is the kind of attitude that forces schools to call the cops on 5 year olds instead of dealing with things in house.

Teachers are respectful...

If the student respects his teachers, the teachers respect will return respect..

Dont tell me that the teacher was wrong, its the student wrong..

Rules are rules no matter what, now you accept the teacher to believe any student who says hes speaking to his mom n iraq? I mean every student will use that excuse..

Teachers respect you in the amount you respect the, those who say that even if you respect them they dont, dont know what they are speaking about..

Teachers get paid 30 a year working their @$$s off and we then come and complain abuot the wrong thing we do..

I agree we are not giving the teachers enough power/respect they should be getting..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Flirting with an assault charge for taking a phone?
    This is the kind of attitude that forces schools to call the cops on 5 year olds instead of dealing with things in house.
    Since the 1960's, school officials and faculty in almost every state are not legally permitted to touch a student in any way. That is precisely why the schools must call the cops when things get out of hand; otherwise, they could face charges, lawsuits, and/or serious consequences themselves. Actually, I think it is a good thing school employees cannot touch students; it provides a sort of complementary checks and balances system, so if things get out of hand, the cops can determine the cause, risk, and effects of the situation at hand, and can provide another view on the situation, albeit a more authoritative and legally-binding one.

The school he attended is Spencer High School which is a school where the parents of children attend who are in the Military. It's about 15 minutes from Ft. Benning, GA. My brother attended Spencer. Majority of the students who attend have parents in the military and live on the Army Base, but a small % are civilians who also attend that school (Ft. Benning doesn't have a high school, only elementary and middle school - most active duty personnel retire before their children enter High school anyways).

The school understands this, but the parents serving in Iraq have certain hours that they may call. This is a strict policy set by the district for many reasons, especially those in the military who abuse this rule.

The school was in the right, the student and mother were in the wrong. The mother should have called when her child wasn't in school. Furthermore, if she attempts to try to take any action, she will be reprimanded because they are always told NOT to call during school hours.

If the school allowed him to keep talking, they'd have to allow majority of the school to speak to their parents who are serving somewhere in the world, which we know can't be possible.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Since the 1960's, school officials and faculty in almost every state are not legally permitted to touch a student in any way.

Fact: It is legal in 23 states for public and private schools to paddle or use other forms of corporal punishment on a child.

Fact: It is legal in 23 states for public and private schools to paddle or use other forms of corporal punishment on a child.
    http://www.nospank.net/n-l51r.htm

Apparently it is legal in 22 states, mostly in the Bible Belt. I guess my "almost every state" was too optimistic.

Well ... that's ... interesting. Didn't know that it was still legal
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Originally posted by azizny
    Teachers are respectful...

If the student respects his teachers, the teachers respect will return respect..

Dont tell me that the teacher was wrong, its the student wrong..
    bulls.... Teachers are human and I've had teachers who were not worthy of urinating on if they were burning, and I've had teachers who I'll remember fondly when I'm an old old man. All teachers will not "respect you" if you respect them. This sort of "teachers aren't capable of doing wrong" attitude is absolutely -dangerous-. I read an article about a teacher who had been molesting a teen boy after school for MONTHS he now faces over 100 counts of (forget the term) basically sodomy with a minor. Do you think THAT teacher will respect a student if the student respects him? Yeah if by "respect" you mean "sodomize".

You should treat teachers with respect if for no other reason than you are the student and they the teacher, but if a teacher gets out of line you shouldn't be afraid to call them on it either, teachers are not perfect, they are not untouchable, and they are not above being held to the same codes of decency as the rest of us.

I once had a particularly odious teacher tell me "you should respect me" and I replied "while I will never be rude to you, or do anything to get in trouble mainly because you're not worth it and I'm here to eek out what little real education this school has to offer, there is no way in heck I'll ever respect you because frankly, I don't like you, your attitude with students that aren't your personal pets, and to be honest, nothing about you do I find respectable", he marched me to the principal's office and told the principal what I said the principal looked at him and said "did he curse? did he act up? did he do anything beyond telling you point blank he simply doesn't like you?" "well no" "so live with it, we can't make people like you" and then the teacher returned to class and I chatted with the principal for a while about why I didn't like that particular teacher. He was like "well be damn sure you don't give him any more reasons to bring you down here".

And yes it's still legal for teachers to paddle here (as I found out from my sister who's son is in 1st grade) I know it was legal when I went to school I just kinda figured it'd been stopped by now, I'm OH SO VERY glad to find out it hasn't been stopped. Any teacher my son has will be told at the beginning of the year "if he deserves it you give him a good one".
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Rob83
    The school he attended is Spencer High School which is a school where the parents of children attend who are in the Military. It's about 15 minutes from Ft. Benning, GA. My brother attended Spencer. Majority of the students who attend have parents in the military and live on the Army Base, but a small % are civilians who also attend that school (Ft. Benning doesn't have a high school, only elementary and middle school - most active duty personnel retire before their children enter High school anyways).

The school understands this, but the parents serving in Iraq have certain hours that they may call. This is a strict policy set by the district for many reasons, especially those in the military who abuse this rule.

The school was in the right, the student and mother were in the wrong. The mother should have called when her child wasn't in school. Furthermore, if she attempts to try to take any action, she will be reprimanded because they are always told NOT to call during school hours.

If the school allowed him to keep talking, they'd have to allow majority of the school to speak to their parents who are serving somewhere in the world, which we know can't be possible.
    Now this deserves quoting, as (assuming it is true) this is very vital information for this article.

So a student with a mom in Iraq is NOT something overly "special" in this school and is in fact so common that there are -set times- for these calls to happen? See that sheds a whole other light on this topic.

I (as I'm sure others did) assumed this was a special case and that in the whole school there might be a handful of kids at most who have parents in Iraq right now, instead this sounds like something quite common for this particular school and they have even set guidelines (more lenient guidelines because I'm sure most schools won't let you talk to Mommy on the cell phone period) to accomodate these people?
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    I once had a particularly odious teacher tell me "you should respect me" and I replied "while I will never be rude to you, or do anything to get in trouble mainly because you're not worth it and I'm here to eek out what little real education this school has to offer, there is no way in heck I'll ever respect you because frankly, I don't like you, your attitude with students that aren't your personal pets, and to be honest, nothing about you do I find respectable", he marched me to the principal's office and told the principal what I said the principal looked at him and said "did he curse? did he act up? did he do anything beyond telling you point blank he simply doesn't like you?" "well no" "so live with it, we can't make people like you" and then the teacher returned to class and I chatted with the principal for a while about why I didn't like that particular teacher. He was like "well be damn sure you don't give him any more reasons to bring you down here".
    Did he do / say anything to you after this incident? Or did he just drop it entirely?
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Now this deserves quoting, as (assuming it is true) this is very vital information for this article.

So a student with a mom in Iraq is NOT something overly "special" in this school and is in fact so common that there are -set times- for these calls to happen? See that sheds a whole other light on this topic.

I (as I'm sure others did) assumed this was a special case and that in the whole school there might be a handful of kids at most who have parents in Iraq right now, instead this sounds like something quite common for this particular school and they have even set guidelines (more lenient guidelines because I'm sure most schools won't let you talk to Mommy on the cell phone period) to accomodate these people?
    Right. Having your mom, dad or both in Iraq or in a war at Spencer high school isn't a "special" thing. 99% of students who go to Spencer have a dad/mom or both in the military. And 99% of them live on the Army base 15 minutes away (Ft. Benning). I attended the elementary school up the street (all military students only), but the high school was also shared with the civilian students living in the area.

If you look on their website:

http://www.mcsdga.net/schools/high/spencer.html

Under Partners, you will see:

The 29th Infantry Regiment

Which is located at Ft. Benning:

http://www-benning.army.mil/29thInf/index.asp

Ft. Benning has no high schools:

http://www.ddess.org/benning/Fbs.htm

So they use Spencer High School as their high school, which is why it's part of the district and civilian students attend.

The school understands taht the students have parents in Iraq, or deployed overseas and they try to accomodate the needs of the students to speak with their parents. There are certain programs that allow students to write to their parents -- and these letters are hand delivered to the parents at the base they are stationed in.

The studet in this article was rude and wouldn't listen to a teacher.

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    Did he do / say anything to you after this incident? Or did he just drop it entirely?
    He just dropped it and just kinda let it go, by the end of the school year I actually had come to like him "some" I mean we probably wouldn't go out drinking or nothing but I didn't just hate him.

He was an incredibly lazy teacher, he taught us chemistry and at the end of the year (as in 2 semesters) we were barely in chapter 4, I was bored ungodly stiff in there, plus he had his pets and everyone else he could barely be bothered to answer if they asked a question (and when you spend a whole year covering 4 chapters the only question is "when can we speed this up some?"). I think we did maybe 4 labs the whole year, overall it was a pitiful excuse for teaching and that was the main problem I had with him, was his utter laziness.

The funniest thing happened one day though, we were doing some experiment, I forget which, and the class before us had done the one where you drop uhm, zinc? into hydrochloric acid to make hydrogen gas and then catch it in a test tube and make it "bark" by lighting it up.

Anyway they hadn't cleaned up so the beakers with the little zinc pieces in them and the (I suppose) now used up hcl were still there. We had the WHOLE class to do our experiment though it took MAYBE 5 minutes to do, the "teacher" left to the teacher's break room while we did it, yeah remember how lazy I said he was. So I was sitting there bored chatting with some friends about 4 minutes after class started... a bit later (near the end of the class) I dumped all the leftover crap from my experiment into the leftover crap from the other experiment (in this small beaker maybe a pint in size) and set it over a bunsen burner on a fairly low flame... nothing happened so I turned back around to chat some more.

Well 4 things happened at once.

#1 the mixture hit a boil
    #2 I felt a heat on the back of my head,
    #3 My friend's eyes lit up like she'd seen a ghost and her mouth kinda fell open
    #4 the teacher walked back in the room, saw a 3 foot (I am not kidding) flame shooting out of the top of my little beaker and he grabbed the fire extinguisher as I turned around and got a good look at my creation myself.

As he called maintenance to come clean up he looked at me and said "you realize your grade for this 6 weeks won't be your usual A?" my reply "when I saw the 4 foot flames shooting out of the beaker that thought crossed my mind" (the flames were probably closer to 2 feet but hey, my heart was thumping haha).
    resident grumpy redneck

The teacher is right, BUT the decision of a 10 days suspension is way too strict.

As he called maintenance to come clean up he looked at me and said "you realize your grade for this 6 weeks won't be your usual A?" my reply "when I saw the 4 foot flames shooting out of the beaker that thought crossed my mind" (the flames were probably closer to 2 feet but hey, my heart was thumping haha).
    That's awesome

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    That's awesome
    It was worth the F

He had no idea what I'd done, of course being the chemistry wiz he was that surprises no one I suppose, and I didn't either but whatever it was when it hit a boil what was boiling out of it wasn't steam and it has highly volatile, obviously...
    resident grumpy redneck

If they ever told me to get off the phone or hand it to them, i would not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast