how long with a 1U server last?

Hi,
    I am wondering, how long do 1U servers tend to last? I have a few celerons, p4s, and a xeon.

2. Um... assuming adequate cooling, they should last as long as anything else.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

I still have 3 Dell PowerApp100's, PIII 600 or 700's that have been running Redhat Linux, and Win2k for 4-5 years I believe.

Those have been rock solid even with being hauled around or shipped several times to new DC's. I recently sold off 1, pulled 1 for re-imaging, and still have one running a popular entertainment site and it's still doing great.

I don't buy non-redundant servers like those anymore, but their reliability has been impressive.

As drhamad said, Adequate cooling and clean air, plus clean reliable power are all you need to worry about for a server to run a long time (barring any quality control/warranty issues).

Thanks for your advice... cooling seems to be the one point stressed in the rackmounts, and i take that serious as well.

Warranty will last me

5. usually, 'moving' parts go out first in any server. nothing is more critical than HDDs which rotates at 5k~15k rpm. as preventive measure, I've customers insisting on changing HDDs every 2-3 years in mission critical sevrers regardless their condition

cooling fans are also subject to failure quite often, especially dust accumulation over years, the fine dust can get into the bearing and destroying the fans. changing out all fans on annual bassis is not a bad idea at all.

Keep in mind that a 1U server only lasts half as long as a 2U server, but in both cases, if you take care of them, they should last several years.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

1U servers lasts only as long as a 2U server, what on Earth does size of chassis have to do with it? There's some right old rubbish been spouted on WHT these days.

We change fans every 10-12 months, as a preventative measure, especially if we've got any 40x40x10mm fans, as these tend to fail before the rest most of the time.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I've got a 1U server that is about 5 years old thats still running fine. I've had to replace the CPU fan and some of the other fans, but thats about it. I've upgraded the drive, but I'm sure that would've gone too. Its not a fast box, but its good enough for some basic junk.

Servers last as long as you take care of them.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

I have a old cobalt RAQ3 that has been going for over 5 years... the fan make some noise, but it still runs solid.

10. Originally posted by bqinternet
    Keep in mind that a 1U server only lasts half as long as a 2U server, but in both cases, if you take care of them, they should last several years.
    Buh?
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

1U server is basically several components working together such as:
    - motherboard
    - cpu & fan/heatsink
    - memory
    - Harddisk
    - power

If a server is up and running for 1 week without any issues, then it is a good start. HD, cpu fan/heatsink and power are the items that would likely need replacing sooner than the other components. If the cpu fan/heatsink fails, you may want to keep an extra CPU just in case.

In general, HD should last 3-5 years as well as cpu fan/heatsink. If the power quality is good, then it will last at least 5 years in general.

If the motherboard is a good quality motherboard, then it will last a very long time. We have several servers that do not give any sign of stopping even after 7 years. We use mostly Tyan motherboards.

Temperature and air flow play vital roles in the longevity of your server too. Excessive heat will shorten the life of your server significantly.

So, in general if your server is of good quality and is running in a cool environment with good airflow, you should at least 5 years for 1U. The same thing applies to 2U or bigger.
    Last edited by rey; 05-12-2005 at 01:17 AM.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quality power supply, quality fans...and you will be ok.
    If you get cheap and crappy fans.... if you colo it at some crappy datacenter with poor dust control or poor HVAC, your fans will suck in so much dust that your fans will die quickly or...you will have a 1U case of dust.