Pentium II 600 128mg good for DNS and mail?

I would like to setup a DNS and Mail server and Tulip has some cheap servers. Would this handle those two things?

Hello,
    Yes this would probably work for serving your needs.

"probably"

And do you need two DNS servers, or is that just nice?

Depending on your mail volume, tasks like SpamAssassin can eat a lot of CPU. The memory concerns me a bit (256 being much roomier), it doesn't sound like this will be a major hub.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

well, the reason is I'm having issues with my current DNS service(1and1) and they suck with support so I figured I would just do my own. Right now my domains get 5mb traffice a day.. but I'm hoping that will increase. Does the DNS server have to be heavy for a lot of traffic? Currently, counting spam I get about 300 emails a day, what would you say is the limit for email on that server?

DnS would run perfect i guess , dns traffic is generally low.
    As hiryuu say, It depends on how much mail clients / traffic you are planning to host on it..

i have installed a small dns server on a 350mhz, 256mb ram (8 websites) and always served smooth for the 5 months its been running..

DNS will definitely not be a problem. As to the mail processing agent/filter - if you install it on this server, keep a close eye on it, cause if email traffic grows it may bog the machine down.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Pentium II 600 128mg good for DNS and mail?

I would like to setup a DNS and Mail server and Tulip has some cheap servers. Would this handle those two things?
    The server specs you have posted should easily handle dns services. I would say though to be on the safe side if you do decide to do email I would get 256MB ram for this server, as when the email starts to increase it will begin to need more resources. A 600MHz cpu should be able to handle a mild volume of emails but don't expect it to do any excessive amount, I would say with your current needs it would handle it, however also remember if you need to do webmail and such you will need additional programs as well as web (apache) running so keep in mind your limitations on both cpu and ram (make sure you do allocate at minimum 1024MB of swap space since you are running lower ram).

Just a few observations I can think of for ya.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Five years ago this would have been top of the line, and if I recall correctly I was using DNS and mail back then too