Game Server question.

I'm planning to get a Barton 3000+ server with 1 GIG of ram from mcpaa.com, I plan to use it as a game server and web hosting server.

How much 8-16 slot counter-strike gameservers do you think a barton 3000+ hosting a few (less than 10, one relatively small PHP forum, 200 members, the other sites much smaller) can accomodate?
    Last edited by ALee; 05-06-2005 at 01:24 PM.

"I plan to use it as a game server and web hosting server."
    There is your first problem. I dont recommend mixing game servers and web hosting together.

"How much 8-16 slot counter-strike gameservers do you think a barton 3000+ hosting a few (less than 10, one relatively large PHP forum, 200 members, the other sites much smaller) can accomodate?"

With specs like that, and assuming your counter-strike servers will be public servers, I highly doubt that the performance of the servers will be good at all. Add the large php forum and a bunch of smaller sites, and the performance of everything will suffer. If you are still inclined to get such a low quality server (in game server terms) then I would just rush one 16 slot cs server and the other hosting that you have.

Okay, well what if I used it primarily as a game server, nothing else? I said the PHP forum was relatively small. 200 members is nothing.. and LESS than TEN sites, the other 9 are simple html sites.

Well, it also depends on will you be using special commands (SYS_TICRATE or pingboosters) if so these commands increase cpu usage but also give the server a better quality. If you arent and you keep everything default, I would say a maximum of 2 16 slot publics or 4 private 12 slot servers.
    F.Y.I. I am the type of person that cares more about performance than price

ah okay, well that sounds good. With the number of servers you suggested 2 16 slot publics or 4 private 12 slot servers, would the performance be okay?

The performance would be standard, but for the most part the servers should not experience any choke or loss with that configuration