Dating Service Webhost

I run a small Christian dating service with about 980 members. The trouble I'm having is finding a suitable webhost. I was just banned by ace-host.net. The site is paid but it doesn't take in enough money membership wise to be able to afford a dedicated server. Last night my site was suspended on ace-host.net due to what they say was, "using excessive server resources." I know for a fact I wasn't over the 75 gig allowance for the month. Here is what they had to say.

"Unfortunately, your website was using excessive server resources, which caused performance degradations for other clients on the server. Therefore, our system engineers had to immediately suspend your account to uphold the integrity of our service. Since your account is hosted under a shared hosting environment, we cannot allow your account to consume excessive amounts of server resources, as it negatively impacts other websites on the server.

This is a terms of service violation."

The problem I have is that members post a lot of photos. In total there were nearly 800 photos. So as you can imagine there's a lot of bandwidth uses, I estimate probably about 800 mb to 2 gigs worth of bandwidth each day. I as well have made available some live sermon recordings taken from church services.

Many sites don't offer the advanced admin control that I need. I need to have complete unix access. Ace-host.net offered everything I required for a inexpensive amount which was affordable for my site. However I guess a successful website isn't allowed on their server.

What I'm running into is that a lot of these inexpensive hosts are resellers.

I don't want to deal with a reseller. I need complete unix access with shell, cpanel, and imagemagick, with about 5 gigs of space, and 100 gigs of transfer per month.

They aren't saying that your bandwidth usage is a problem - they're saying that you are consuming too much server resources. That is, it takes too much processing power for the server to handle all of your traffic. On a site that doesn't have a message board, etc. that much traffic might be just fine. I'm guessing you are running some sort of program that is causing trouble with their servers. This is perfectly acceptable - and you will want to be sure to warn your new host that you had this problem with your former host, so that they can advise you appropriately.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

You might want to consider a VPS. You would get root access, like a dedicated server, and not have to deal with the problems of the shared environment.

Look in the VPS Advertising forum for hosts. Some of them may be willing to put together a custom package with the kind of bandwidth you require.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

4. Yeah that isn't a disk space or bandwidth suspension - your scripts are taking up too much of the processor, RAM, etc.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

It's definitely a script problem you have if they claim it to be server resources. I don't know what your site entails, but excessive mail processing, or poorly coded message board could be the cause. Perhaps they can assist you further in finding out what specifically caused the suspension.

What is your price range ? You don't necessarily need a VPS or dedicated as long as you have good code on your site.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Do you use your own custom written script to run your site or is this a publicly available script? You may find different script which uses less resources, or look into a way to cache the frequently visited pages. That should help lower your resource consumption.

Like a couple of other suggestions that have already been made, ask ace-host to describe this excessing usage of resources.

8. And of course, if you talk to a provider beforehand and really give them an idea of what they're getting into, they may be able to quote you a price which would allow you to join them.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

I think you might have to bite the bullet and go with a VPS or dedicated server at this point. I don't think you'll be able to find a shared host that's going to get you beyond the cpu usage problem. You could find a shared host that allows you that much bandwidth and storage but it will still cause too much tax on their servers.

Shared hosting plans are low priced for a reason, in order for the companies to be able to afford the price they rely on putting a lot of users on each server. Works fine as long as the sites don't get too big as yours is getting.

Something you might want to consider is adding a Donate to Us button on your web site using Paypal and let your subscribers know that you need their small support to keep you going.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site