Distributing Flyers, Effective or ineffective?

i was thinking aout distributing some flyers in and around my city. i want to design or have designed a really attractive flyer / brochure and outting them in mailboxes.

has anyone tryed this and do you know if it is legal or illegal, how effective do you think it will be and is it worth the time to do it?

Re: Distributing Flyers, Effective or ineffective?

Originally posted by holiday
    i was thinking aout distributing some flyers in and around my city. i want to design or have designed a really attractive flyer / brochure and outting them in mailboxes.

has anyone tryed this and do you know if it is legal or illegal, how effective do you think it will be and is it worth the time to do it?
    I think it is a great idea if you go about it in a professional manner. However, If you put a flyer inside of a mailbox, you might be getting an unanounced visit from your local law enforcement or the Feds because that is not legal in any State and you could end up paying some hefty fines.

Why not try an insert in newspapers or go around to different business's and see if you could leave a small stack of them somewhere, like in waiting rooms in car dealerships where business people are waiting to get their cars fixed.. and places like that.

Good Luck

I am not sure how it will work out, but I will be trying it in my city. As well make sure you follow the city regulations. Each city is different so they will have different regulations on flyers.

So whats the difference in that and all these companys sending you thier catalogs in the mail? They get away with it for what reason?

So whats the difference in that and all these companys sending you thier catalogs in the mail? They get away with it for what reason?
    Because they do it legally. You can not just open their mail box and put stuff in . If you send it in the mail then it is fine .

Look for newspaper advertising, local small communities, etc.
    Ankit Gupta - Cernax Hosting
    "We're always second in the industry, the customer comes first."

Flyers can be very effective. However, it is all how you go about it.

It depends on the design of your flyer, how it is distributed, and most importantly how you follow through on each distribution.

If you are to send out only one flyer, your chance of it being seen, or getting some type of a conversion out of it is very minimal. This will increase if you run any type of enhanced campaign after your initial contact with them. Try following up with additional flyers, or phone calls looking to set an appointment.

This plan was taken from Aussie Bob's posting ages ago... it's a great outline of a letter campaign.

Build a database of business addresses in your area.

The plan -

Commence a 4 week marketing campaign to 100 of those businesses each week, by direct mail. You pick 100 businesses and you're going to target them for 1 month with a targeted campaign.

Week 1 -

The first letter introduces your services and how they benefit the client. Short and sweet. Nothing too detailed. This is just an intro and you're not expecting any response from this letter.

Week 2 -

The next week another letter goes out to those 100 businesses, and gives some more information about the benefits that these businesses will receive, with a web presence. Again, nothing too detailed, and don't expect any kind of response. If you get some businesses contacting you at this point, then great, that's a bonus.

Week 3 -

The next week another letter goes out to those same 100 businesses with even more information about what you can do for them. Now you have sent 2 previous letters and hopefully, most of those businesses know you exist and maybe a good % of them have read your previous letters. Push a little for a meeting in this letter and expect some kind of response.

Week 4 - Monday

You send the final sales letter to those 100 pre-selected businesses from your database. Follow up with a phone call, and talk over potential solutions to their needs
    Week 4 - Thursday -

Start to call each of these 100 businesses and see if you can make an appointment with them, to discuss this further.
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

The companies that you mention are paying postage and going through the mail distribution system legally. A cheaper alternative is to try a co-op mailing (like your coupon valpak and similar mailers) You will hit more households and it will cost you less money. Remember that all the other advertisers in these mailers are going to be looking through and checking out their ad and also the other business ads. These other advertisers are business people and they are your potential clients

I believe it's legal to leave fliers in someones door, but not going around putting it in their mailbox.

flyer didn't work for me. no one respone and you have to be careful as some zone are restriced for posting flyer

I had some success with flyers at supermarkets. I always tried to park next to contractor, handyman, small business type of car and left a flyer on their car with a business card. In some cases I got a call while still shopping for groceries and the guy waiting outside not knowing that I parked right next to him.

Christoph
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

One way around the legality of putting a flyer into a mailbox is to put it on the outside.

It's illegal to put flyers in a mailbox in the US? Wow, they do it all the time here (Canada).
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

The key to this form of advertising is have a target market and knowing them. If you are going to send out 100,000 to just the general public then it would be a waste of money. I like Bob's plan because again it targets a 100 businesses, personally I would choose them all from the same industry as well so that you can again tailor your marketing to them.

Good luck with your marketing and let us know how they go. If your not tracking how well it works then you'll never know what works and what does not.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by Josh Stein
    One way around the legality of putting a flyer into a mailbox is to put it on the outside.
    heh yea i was just about to say this

like some mailboxes have that little red flag that you can push up (to signal the mailman you have a letter to send), you can usually put it between that and the mailbox

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    The key to this form of advertising is have a target market and knowing them. If you are going to send out 100,000 to just the general public then it would be a waste of money. I like Bob's plan because again it targets a 100 businesses, personally I would choose them all from the same industry as well so that you can again tailor your marketing to them.

Good luck with your marketing and let us know how they go. If your not tracking how well it works then you'll never know what works and what does not.
    Well in away yes it would be a waste of money, but on the other hand you will have about 50% of the 100,000 people looking at the flyer. So that is 50,000 people who know who you are. Though out of the 50,000 people it is hard to say how many will sign up (depending many factors).

Though I do like the 100 business idea that is for sure .

Originally posted by Torith
    Well in away yes it would be a waste of money, but on the other hand you will have about 50% of the 100,000 people looking at the flyer. So that is 50,000 people who know who you are. Though out of the 50,000 people it is hard to say how many will sign up (depending many factors).

Though I do like the 100 business idea that is for sure .
    50% is a little high. I would guess that only 10% of those would stop and read it. Of those 10% you would probably have half that would consider it a negative thing that you sent them junk mail or just don't understand what you are trying to setll them. Of the 500 peole left who read it and understand you would be lucky to get 1 sale out of it in all honesty. So for the money I just don't think it is worth it. Here a campaign like this would cost $50k+.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

In my personally experience you can expect about a 3% return rate. That is only if you did the flyer, or brochure in the correct manor.

Originally posted by getserious
    In my personally experience you can expect about a 3% return rate. That is only if you did the flyer, or brochure in the correct manor.
    Care to explain what you found to be the correct manner?
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.