and the battle rages on...

My battle of the OS's still rages on...
    Out of the following OS's:

Red Hat® Linux 7.3, or 9.0
    Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 2.1, or 3 (AS/ES)
    FreeBSD® 4.9 or 5.3
    SuSE® Linux 9.1
    Fedora Core 1
    Fedora Core 2

Which one would be the best for a Linux newbie? ONLY THOSE OS'S LISTED WILL WORK!!
    Thanks,

How about CentOS 3.4? CentOS is an free, open source rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. What exactly will you be doing with Linux? This may help people tailor their recommendations.

I will be running Plesk, and my host does not support Plesk with CentOS (Plesk is not actually supported by CentOS). It is very important to me to have my hosts support, since I am new to Plesk and I do not have alot of experience with Linux. I want to keep the fees down, too. I may be starting a small hosting buisness on this server in the future.

Originally posted by crnc
    FreeBSD
    really? Personally, not being an admin, I found it was easier using RH / Fedora / CentOS vs. FreeBSD Probably because I was trained up a little bit on RH, but I have a harder time with BSD.

To the OP, I would recommend perhaps hiring a server admin to help you with any of your choices. The $50 a month would help to patch, monitor and assist you with your support needs on an ongoing basis (not much support, but probably enough) and you can save yourself some hardships ahead.

Thanks,

I personally would go with RHEL if you didn't mind paying the extra money for the license (version 3) as it is simple to use, stable, and very well supported.

RH 7.3 and 9.0 have both reached EOL (End Of Life) and are no longer updated, don't go with those.

FreeBSD would be my second choice (5.3 is great). FreeBSD is definatley not that hard to learn and is a great OS.

I don't know that much about SuSE so I can't speak about it =/

FC1 and FC2 do not make good server OS's IMHO. FC3 is out now so you could get away with FC2, but I think RHEL or FreeBSD make better choices.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Freebsd hands down from among those choices. Plesk runs rather nice on 4.9 (keeping in mind I hate all control panels). Havent tried on 5.3 yet, but I have heard of some niggling issues that still remain. Ideally the choice is yours though. What are you or the person(s) admining the machine most comfortable with? most comfortable with?

Also, though centos isnt 'supported' if you know what youa re doing it works Just Fine™.

FreeBSD 4.9 isn't supported. Don't use it.

Use FreeBSD 4.11 or FreeBSD 5.3 (or FreeBSD 5.4 if you can wait until Monday) instead.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    I personally would go with RHEL if you didn't mind paying the extra money for the license (version 3) as it is simple to use, stable, and very well supported.
    I also second this.. for all the reasons above.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

CentOS hands down... it's all the goodness of RHEL and free.

For a newbie Fedora is probably the most "pretty" but since this is intended to be a server and not a workstation I would recomend Cent since it has far less bloat than Fedora.

Remember, Fedora is intended on being a consumer / workstation grade offering.

http://www.sw-soft.com/en/products/p...reloaded/reqs/

OS Requirements

* Standard configuration of Red Hat® Linux 7.3, or 9.0
    * Standard configuration of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 2.1, or 3 (AS/ES)
    * Standard configuration of FreeBSD® 4.9 or 5.3
    * Standard configuration of SuSE® Linux 9.1
    * Standard configuration of SuSE® 64bit (Coming soon)
    * Standard configuration of Fedora Core 1
    * Standard configuration of Fedora Core 2
    * Standard configuration of CentOS (Coming soon)
    * Standard configuration of Debian 3.1 (Coming soon)

Like I said, freebsd 4.9 runs rather well. there are still some quirks to 5.3

Oh, I misunderstood what you meant by "not supported". No, plesk doesnt do 4.11, the installer borks. Untill plesk runs a little better on 5.x Id still run it on 4.9 for now.

I just got an email from sw-soft... apparently it's very busy over there .
    Alex, Plesk 7.5.3 - which is currently in the final stages of beta testing -
    will support CentOS. We expect to release Plesk 7.5.3 within the next few weeks, but I don't have a firm date. If you'd like to receive email
    notification when new products become available, you may want to add your name to our mailing list.
    Looks like I will be using CentOS... thanks guys!

FreeBSD hands down.
    You set it up once and you never have to mess around with it again.
    Go somewhere that'll help you get your server installed/setup and you'll be golden.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

if your doing it for plesk use centos or redhat enterprise.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Of your list my choice would also be FreeBSD. Just a nitpick, it's not Linux
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."